Is this the best Leafs team since 67?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
First you have to find a hardcore hockey observer around here who was born in the early 50s to give a credible opinion. That is a task in itself.

As for this version of the team, it's really an unknown commodity to me in the playoffs, and until that question is answered, you can't answer the topic. There are only 6 playoff games under their belts, and this year, they will actually be expected to do more, whether that's fair or not.

All we can say at this point is that they passed the regular season test, which is a good feat. Sometimes, when you have these young peices coming off a good year, they take a step back. As a team though, they have just marched on this year.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Hmmm 01-02 team finished one point away from top in the Eastern Conference and were 3rd overall in the league. Safe to say they were better but ultimately it depends on the playoffs.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
:laugh: :laugh: Good one. I almost thought you were serious for a second.

Maybe he didn't mean overall, but in the Playoffs, Gilmour was up there, he had 35 points in 3 rounds, Gretzky finished with 40 after the finals.

The 3rd most points a player had was 25, by Sandstorm.

One could argue that Gilmour was one of the best players in the game that spring.

Reactions: Mork

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The only player I disagree with being on your list is Staal because this could be a fluke season and no one expected it to happen based on his final years in Carolina, his short time with the Rangers and his first year in Minnesota.

That's fair. I don't think everyone is clearly better there, just that there's enough that it's hard to put them top 30 just yet. The Leafs have a great forward core but the depth is key right now other than Matthews. In relation to this thread I see a lot of similarities to some of the Quinn years in that regard, with Matthews being the franchise center like Sundin, and then lots of good scorers but not quite top end ones in Marner, Nylander, Kadri, JVR, Marleau, compared to say '02 that had Mogilny, Tucker, Roberts, Reichel, Renberg. The big difference of course being the ages and potential going forward favouring the current group

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
1993 was the best Leafs team I've ever seen.

I think a Cup win would put this team ahead though.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Maybe he didn't mean overall, but in the Playoffs, Gilmour was up there, he had 35 points in 3 rounds, Gretzky finished with 40 after the finals.

The 3rd most points a player had was 25, by Sandstorm.

One could argue that Gilmour was one of the best players in the game that spring.

Actually for two years he lead the entire league in playoff points, not to mention winning a Selke. See, despite what some would have you believe, just winning the points race does not make one the best player. There are other facets and really, over that two years, I can't think of anyone that brought the complete package Gilmour did. I've said it before and will say it again, as a Leaf fan, I would consider myself blessed to see another two year period that dominant from a Leaf again. I'm sure we'll hear about Lemieux - who don't get me wrong, was phenomenal - but one guy played on a team with seven 70+ point players (four 100+ point players) and multiple HOFers while the other had a second highest scorer of Borchevsky (74 points) and 4th highest scorer of Todd freaking Gill!!! :laugh:

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
No disrespect to the current team, but the Leafs in 93 were better positioned to win ...

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I agree.

More experience and likely more prepared.

But this team is only going to get better. So while this year may not be our best since '67, it's only going to get better.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No disrespect to the current team, but the Leafs in 93 were better positioned to win ...
Only because there were a ton of upsets in the 93 playoffs. They finished 3rd in their division like this current team likely will.
Toronto beating Detroit in round 1 in 93 was a shocker.

Last edited:

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I'm floored.

In fact, I'm thinking about starting to cheer for the habs based on that awesome post.

Some serious analysis going on this afternoon.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
It's the best Leafs team in the history of the Franchise, just needs a bit more experience. Never has the team see such a trio as Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Basically the top 1 player of the league (disputable) and two top 10 forwards. It's just crazy

It is amazing that a team with sooo much talent has not clinched the President Trophy yet, I guess your coach is pretty terrible.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You point all this out yet the Leafs have still won 7 of 8....how is this possible? I’ll tell you, the Leafs speed game causes the Bruins particularly the D a heck of a lot of problems. Heck the Leafs didn’t have Matthews for a back to back with the Bruins and what was the result? The Leafs won both games...the Bruins want none of the Leafs in the first round

You really want to tempt fate for the sake of a cheap dig ?

You better keep :crossfing .

Reactions: BruinLVGA

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I was looking at Leaf records and their season point record is 103 and wins is 45. The current team has a real shot at besting both this season. So that begs the question, Is this the best post 67 Leafs team?
You can no longer compare previous seasons to now because points were awarded differently. You used to have to win in regulation to get two points, now you can get it in overtime. Also the seasons have more games than previous years. Unfortunately it's like comparing apples to oranges and just can't be done.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yet they have more points than the 1st place team in the metro. What a dumb ass comment lol, there wasn't division leaders in years past it was just 1-8, we'd be sitting at 3rd currently in the east if you wanna compare to years past.

Keep the salt coming though :D

False for the last 19 seasons (20 if you included the lost 2004-05 season).

The present system exists since the 2013-14 season.

Between 1998-99 and 2012-13 (included), there were 3 divisions per conference and the division leaders were seeded 1-2-3 in the playoffs.

In fact, even between 1993-94 and 1997-98, the 2 division leaders were seeded 1-2.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

93 team had best player in the game at that time Gilmour . And yes even though it was dead puck era, they actually scored more than this team. Close to 300 goals if I’m correctly.

They were a legit cup contender that season, this team has a ways to go.
Dead puck era ?

An average of 7.25 goals per game were scored in the season.

The average per team was 305 goals, the Leafs scored 288 (16th out of 24).

Defensively, they only gave up 241 (2nd out of 24).

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
People were saying this all season even when they were shown that the Leafs barely played inside their own division until recently. They went until March without playing the sabres for instance. It's only this last part of the schedule where they make/made up those games against their own division. They also have a winning record against the top teams in the league..

Why does that arguement never come up when talking about Tampa or Boston?

They are 9-10-5 against present playoff teams in the Eastern Conference.

They are 9-5-1 against present playoff teams in the Western Conference.

So they have won 18 out of 39 games against present playoff teams.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Actually for two years he lead the entire league in playoff points, not to mention winning a Selke. See, despite what some would have you believe, just winning the points race does not make one the best player. There are other facets and really, over that two years, I can't think of anyone that brought the complete package Gilmour did. I've said it before and will say it again, as a Leaf fan, I would consider myself blessed to see another two year period that dominant from a Leaf again. I'm sure we'll hear about Lemieux - who don't get me wrong, was phenomenal - but one guy played on a team with seven 70+ point players (four 100+ point players) and multiple HOFers while the other had a second highest scorer of Borchevsky (74 points) and 4th highest scorer of Todd freaking Gill!!! :laugh:
The good old chicken or egg question !

So many high-scoring players because of Lemieux or ... ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad