Is this team Better than last year ?

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
Honestly I did my vote based on a number of factors:
2014-2015-
1. Team had been extremely successful, everyone seemed to think they were destined for top seed. When they started faltering the team/management did nothing to change the attitude or desperation.
2. Boynton trade....*twitch* this was the team killer for last year for me. They all seemed to lose any spark after this.
3. Chara serious injury....takes 6 months to fully heal he was playing after 1.5
4. Management in cap hell and unwilling to make moves to fix it.

Now for this season, this is because I am a optimist and BELIEVE
1. Team will have a chip on their shoulders about missing playoffs and all the this team is worse than other years. Angry teams make determined teams. Motivation is good.
2. Management is definitely focused on clearing cap space of people not wiling or able to play to a certain style of play. the message is also clear. "play like a Bruin or pack your bags"...more motivation
3. Chara should be fully healed, and i really doubt he was happy with last season. I would not want to be a player at captains practices before training camp, I am betting those will be intense.
4. There are a lot of younger/new players who will be given a bigger role and expected to step up. Pastranak, Spooner, Connoly, Hayes, Belesky, Irwin, C. Miller. We have only seen promising looks from most of these guys. This is their time to shine. I am betting at least half of them do....yea I know optimist.

That is why I think they will be better than last year.

plemur

Meh.
Feb 24, 2007
Nieuw Hamster
twitter.com
Worse on paper but I expect to see more fire and some of the small things addressed, like fighting for goals in front of the net. We'll see, but I expect we'll see the goals for tick up slightly...so long as the goals against stays low-ish, the results should be okay.

TootSweet

Sep 22, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I too have the feeling this will be a scrappy underrated team. If they can make playoffs they will give their first round opponent a hell of a fight. Just a gut feeling.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I voted no because I thought of it as a did we upgrade the team in the offseason question. Now I believe we were a better team last year than the standings showed. Our #1 D and C were out or hampered with injuries, beyond that we didn't have Spooner and Pasta until later in the season, and Connoly we didn't get to see at all. Losing Hamilton was a huge step backwards but if the kids step up and Chara and Seidenberg prove it was injuries and not age we will do better than last year. I expect Krejci to have a Soderberg like role next year, since Bergeron can't be displaced and I expect Pasta to produce more with Spooner.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
How is this a question? We are worse on paper, no questions asked. But let's wait for the season, worse on paper doesn't mean worse on the ice. However, I think we will be worse on the ice

OutspokenMinority*

talent?
no.

results? remains to be seen; i'm eager to see if they are hungry; if they execute the system with effort and are willing to outwork the opposition.

lethargy is over. (i hope)

ditto. and kudos on the semi-colons. i assume they was used correctly. i wouldn't know, and have resigned myself to the fact that i never will.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Missing choice: I'm not sure/I don't know.

My first thoughts are that it is not likely to be better due to the problems I believe exist with the defense. There are at least two big known holes that have not been resolved. Then there is Seidenberg (unknown) and Chara (unknown).

The new forwards are totally unknown to me, and they have to learn a new system. The team has about half the forward line new (Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Kelly, Spooner, Pastrnak are the known returnees). So, the whole thing is a big question mark to me.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I dont think we're better......yet. By the end of the year, I think we will be better than last year.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Choices should have been;better,worse or the same. 2 of the choices are somewhat redundant.

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
24% of people are in for a serious dose of reality I think

57% of people are still butt hurt from the Hamilton/Lucic trades.
Lucic a terrible presence in the defensive zone, overrated in the hits category(terms of effectiveness).

Not like Hamilton was a Norris trophy finalist, I did want to keep him but I am also willing to give Sweeney time to right this ship.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Funny, some have stated that Sweeney/Neely kept Clode around to be the scapegoat if things go bad. Wouldn't you agree, though, at this point, the franchise's future success falls more on Keith Gretzky than Clode or Sweeney or Neely?

The future of the team? Absolutely, yeah. Him and Sweeney equally. As much as your head scout is responsible, your GM signs off on them too. But yes, I agree.

But for this year? Clode's job rests on the shoulders of the kids. He's gotta be sweating. :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The future of the team? Absolutely, yeah. Him and Sweeney equally. As much as your head scout is responsible, your GM signs off on them too. But yes, I agree.

But for this year? Clode's job rests on the shoulders of the kids. He's gotta be sweating. :laugh:

sweating? Doubt it, he`d be hired in a heartbeat

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
even still, not a good feeling to know you have a short leash if your Claude, which I hope isn't the case, but I feel like it is.

I feel like the Bruins were overrated heading into last year, even after losing Iginla (Boychuck was traded after the preaseason predictions) Bruins were still picked to win the East by many, which had me scratching my head.

I think obviously everyone has a right to be low on this team heading into the season, but there are too many talented guys on this roster not to make the playoffs, even with the worst D group I've seen in a long time.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
even still, not a good feeling to know you have a short leash if your Claude, which I hope isn't the case, but I feel like it is.

I feel like the Bruins were overrated heading into last year, even after losing Iginla (Boychuck was traded after the preaseason predictions) Bruins were still picked to win the East by many, which had me scratching my head.

I think obviously everyone has a right to be low on this team heading into the season, but there are too many talented guys on this roster not to make the playoffs, even with the worst D group I've seen in a long time.

ya know, I recall much chat here on the boards before the season began with alot of doom and gloom coming off the loss of both Iggy and Boychuk and then fans became irate, shocked as this team stumbled it`s way to an early summer

It`s expectations for this fan, and how I manage them

I actually might be one of the few who like the composition of much of this lineup with the awareness that there surely appears to be some holes that I suspect won`t really be filled this year and it won`t be due to Sweeney being timid to try and do it but more about him only being able to do so much at the time

I haven`t a clue how Beleseky and Hayes will produce but I`m betting both will play hard, add some nice grit (in the case of Beleskey) and some net front presence (Hayes) which was horrific last year

The development and hopeful growth of Spoons and Pasta, hoping that DK/Seids and Z are healthy

And then there`s the unknown intangeables that are out of everyone`s control when it comes to opponents. Some teams might get hit by key injuries, teams we expected more from falter, others we expected little from surprise

I actually think this team will entertain us, don`t believe they can be in the discussion of Cup contender, nor do I feel with the correct moves and development of some of the nice looking prospects that have now been stock piled it`ll be that long before we are once again in the conversation

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
sweating? Doubt it, he`d be hired in a heartbeat

Yep. Clode is one of our best assets for success with Rask and Bergeron.

One of the best coach in the game. Many are saying we have one of the worst D group in the league. Well, we'll still end up in the top-10 for best GAA. Why? Clode.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
They won't be a Cup contender, but I just have a hard time picturing this team missing the playoffs two strait years. The holdovers from last year have to show some pride in not wanting to go through another embarrassment like last year. I think Sweeney is building a team with good character guys - guys that will want to play for each other. As long as the players meet what is expected of them or at least give a **** game in and game out, I'm fine with that.

A healthy Krejci will help, Seidenberg is on the back 9 of his career, but he can't be any worse than he was last year, and I think if Chara could just have his minutes limited he could still be valuable. Guy is in his late 30's, can't play 25 minutes a night anymore. He will have to though, with this depleted D group....

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yep. Clode is one of our best assets for success with Rask and Bergeron.

One of the best coach in the game. Many are saying we have one of the worst D group in the league. Well, we'll still end up in the top-10 for best GAA. Why? Clode.

Indeed, has his warts for sure, wondering out loud what coach out there would have been able to squeeze more out of that group last year?

Had they even been average in the shootout, they would have been playoff bound (probably an early exit but..)

I don`t know, seen plenty of Julien coached Bruin teams who entertained me and finished in the top 5 of scoring due to that solid D play

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Honestly I did my vote based on a number of factors:
2014-2015-
1. Team had been extremely successful, everyone seemed to think they were destined for top seed. When they started faltering the team/management did nothing to change the attitude or desperation.
2. Boynton trade....*twitch* this was the team killer for last year for me. They all seemed to lose any spark after this.
3. Chara serious injury....takes 6 months to fully heal he was playing after 1.5
4. Management in cap hell and unwilling to make moves to fix it.

Now for this season, this is because I am a optimist and BELIEVE
1. Team will have a chip on their shoulders about missing playoffs and all the this team is worse than other years. Angry teams make determined teams. Motivation is good.
2. Management is definitely focused on clearing cap space of people not wiling or able to play to a certain style of play. the message is also clear. "play like a Bruin or pack your bags"...more motivation
3. Chara should be fully healed, and i really doubt he was happy with last season. I would not want to be a player at captains practices before training camp, I am betting those will be intense.
4. There are a lot of younger/new players who will be given a bigger role and expected to step up. Pastranak, Spooner, Connoly, Hayes, Belesky, Irwin, C. Miller. We have only seen promising looks from most of these guys. This is their time to shine. I am betting at least half of them do....yea I know optimist.

That is why I think they will be better than last year.

Check your meds now!

Item 2, the Boynton trade was about 10 years ago, and I forget if he was traded or just let go.

Me thinks you meant to say Boychuck.

I started the thread, and while I think the overall skill level is lower than last year, and
the loss of Hamilton will be huge, I am hoping the overall health is better, improved play by Chara and Seidenberg is better, the young guys continue to take a step forward, and
more inspired play will result in better results than last year.

Certainly not a contender, but probably a playoff team. Come trade deadline I wouldn't
even mind a sell off, if it would mean the following year means contender status.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They won't be a Cup contender, but I just have a hard time picturing this team missing the playoffs two strait years. The holdovers from last year have to show some pride in not wanting to go through another embarrassment like last year. I think Sweeney is building a team with good character guys - guys that will want to play for each other. As long as the players meet what is expected of them or at least give a **** game in and game out, I'm fine with that.

A healthy Krejci will help, Seidenberg is on the back 9 of his career, but he can't be any worse than he was last year, and I think if Chara could just have his minutes limited he could still be valuable. Guy is in his late 30's, can't play 25 minutes a night anymore. He will have to though, with this depleted D group....

A big problem is that teams behind us have gotten stronger and Columbus flew past us, Florida will be again stronger next year, that's just 1 big problem. +none of the playoff teams have gotten worse, Washington who was close will be better and Pens got a lot better and they've had lot more injuries than us and still made it. Montreals defense with Petry will be better and Galchenyuk will be better next season. As we sit right now we are 10-11th in the East.

Then this team can't survive from 1 bigger injury to one of our core players and I don't know if this team can go 100% healthy next season. I also wanted to limit Chara's minutes for this year and let him be a defensive shutdown beast but right now his minutes are only going up.
We have noone who could eat minutes from Chara, I'm afraid he'll have nothing left on the 2nd half.

I keep saying it but pay the price with the kids now who are in your longterm pland and enjoy the benefits 2016-, I want to fight them and these kids need to be ready. they won't be if you don't play them.

Forward group will be entertaining and will have more energy, I want to see Blidh up too to create more energy but the D with the players we have no on the NHL roster will be the most boring in the league, it just has nothing. You can't ice weaker D than rebuilding Toronto who wants top pick and demand playoffs.

If this team is fully healthy, if Connolly can step up and if C.Miller can win a roster spot then we can challenge for playoffs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3