Is this team Better than last year ?

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Voted yes, a much deeper team. The all important puck possession will be much better.

Sweeney will have cap room to address needs as October moves into November.

The core players that remained had down years, I don't expect that to happen again this season.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Like it or not, this team is finally banking on their young guys to step up and make up the difference. I think this team is putting a lot of eggs in the Connolly/Spooner/Pastrnak basket. They think these guys take huge strides forward.

The defense definitely needs work, but again, they're hoping the kids make the jump. They're expecting a lot out of Krug, Trotman, Morrow, the Millers.

If we see noticeable improvement from these guys, it's not really out of the realm to see this team do better than last year's team. Particularly because last year's team horribly underachieved. Do I think they could make the playoffs? Yeah, I do. Barely. But they have a shot. It's the East. All it takes is an injury here or there to swing a few playoff spots.

Relying on the kids, for better or worse. It might cost Clode his job...or it might save it. How's that for irony?

Miroslav Klose*

I think that all three options on this poll are realistic possibilities. As a result, I won't vote.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Not a bruins fan here, (But a big NHL fans in general)

Right now, i think the Bruins line-up is worse than last year but i think Sweeney made some nasty moves !!(all very great move and sign apart from the Hamilton one where he had his handcuffs)

The bruins needed change and Sweeney had the balls to pull the trigger, i expect the Bruins to become an eastern conference powerhouse again under Sweeney, but it'll take more than one off-season.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I say over, if you look at the career average per 82 games for each player you get

Krejci - 17.4
Loui - 23.2
Connolly - 10.6
Marchand - 25.2
Bergy - 22.8
Hayes - 17.6
Beleskey - 14.2
Spooner - 11.7
Pasta - 17.8
Talbot - 11
Rinaldo - 2.9
Kelly - 12.9

total 187.4

That is if every player gets their career average in goals. I don't see anything on that list that I don't think each player can get which puts us over the 171 by 16.4 goals.

Nice breakdown, and a lot of that is reasonable. But the problem is that career averages will, overall, overestimate production for older players. The theory being, older players are on the decline so their productions now, won't match their younger years, which carry their career average.

So, Talbot has scored more than 8 goals only once since 2011/12. Kelly last scored more than 9 goals in 2011/12. Talbot scoring 11 goals and Kelly 12 would be anomalous bumps in production, inconsistent with their recent declines.

But then the hope would be that production for younger players increase -- Connolly, Hayes, and Pasta, Beleskey-- to make up for the decreased veteran production. If Beleskey continues his breakout from last year, he can easily hit that tally or more.

20 goals is a lot to ask of Pasta-- especially if he plays less sheltered minutes-- but is certainly not out of the question with his talent.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Losing Hamilton on the back end will be a huge loss, like when they lost Iginla and had no one to fill his shoes they certainly took a step back.

Until they acquire someone on D they are not as good as last year.

88 points is my projection.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Nice breakdown, and a lot of that is reasonable. But the problem is that career averages will, overall, overestimate production for older players. The theory being, older players are on the decline so their productions now, won't match their younger years, which carry their career average.

So, Talbot has scored more than 8 goals only once since 2011/12. Kelly last scored more than 9 goals in 2011/12. Talbot scoring 11 goals and Kelly 12 would be anomalous bumps in production, inconsistent with their recent declines.

But then the hope would be that production for younger players increase -- Connolly, Hayes, and Pasta, Beleskey-- to make up for the decreased veteran production. If Beleskey continues his breakout from last year, he can easily hit that tally or more.

20 goals is a lot to ask of Pasta-- especially if he plays less sheltered minutes-- but is certainly not out of the question with his talent.

agree there are a few in there you can pick like Talbot but then there are others that can get more for sure so it kind of evens out I think.

I wouldn't really say that the older years are the least productive because the younger years are usually lower as well. it's more like a bell curve. we have a pretty good mix of guys in the younger years (Pasta/Spooner/Connolly), Mid career (Bergy/Krejci/Marchand) and older (Talbot/Kelly).

The good news is that most of the guys on the back half of the bell curve were never big producers so in the case of Kelly and Talbot that might mean 4-5 less goals where that can be picked up by others entering the mid years.

I think its a pretty safe bet to say our Forwards will score more as a whole then the group from last year did.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Opening Night 2014-15

LW- Lucic, Marchand, Kelly, Paille
C- Bergeron, Soderberg, Spooner, Cunningham
RW- Eriksson, Smith, Fraser, Robbins

D- Chara, Dougie, Krug, McQ, Seids, Miller

G- Rask, Svedberg

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
agree there are a few in there you can pick like Talbot but then there are others that can get more for sure so it kind of evens out I think.

I wouldn't really say that the older years are the least productive because the younger years are usually lower as well. it's more like a bell curve. we have a pretty good mix of guys in the younger years (Pasta/Spooner/Connolly), Mid career (Bergy/Krejci/Marchand) and older (Talbot/Kelly).

The good news is that most of the guys on the back half of the bell curve were never big producers so in the case of Kelly and Talbot that might mean 4-5 less goals where that can be picked up by others entering the mid years.

I think its a pretty safe bet to say our Forwards will score more as a whole then the group from last year did.

Absolutely. I think your projections for all of the mid-career guys are more than reasonable-- especially those three Bergy, Krejci, Marchand. I mean Krejci is one injured season removed from 19 goals. And Connolly scoring more than 10 is also fairly conservative, especially if he's playing beside Krejci.

I'm really interested in seeing what Pasta/Spooner can do with a full season together, and maybe Eriksson on their wing (and not having to be the top line, production wise, as they were in playoff stretch last season!).

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
If this is the roster we see opening night (I don't think he's done) then at least on paper they look worse, and not by a small margin.

If the new guys fit into the roster well that helps. I think they will be humbled by last season and maybe they can embrace an underdog role and buy in which could also help. The effort should improve and regardless of where they end up this season, that alone will make a big difference for me anyways. Maybe Rask will have a monster year and throw the team on his back.

But I'm very doubtful they have the skill/roster strength to hang with the good teams in the league on a regular basis. Franson doesn't seem like a huge difference maker to me and I'm not buzzed to commit to the guy for a number of years so I don't really care if Sweeney leaves the defense like this. But I think there's a decent chance Clode is going to double down on his defensive/safe play if it's looking ugly back there, and I think there's a decent chance he ends up the fall guy if the team looks rank.

There's a ton of wait and see to this roster but I'm very skeptical. It's a worse roster that will hopefully have a better effort so I see them as a playoff bubble team.

If "getting healthy" is going to be the game changer then we are screwed because there's always going to be injuries. Outside of losing a starting goaltender for an extended period of time, there really isn't an excuse to be blindsided by injuries unless it's an outrageous amount. Either you have the depth to cope or you don't. Either your roster is prepared to deal with them or it isn't. We'll have a questionable top 6/top 4 before injuries so there you have it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Like it or not, this team is finally banking on their young guys to step up and make up the difference. I think this team is putting a lot of eggs in the Connolly/Spooner/Pastrnak basket. They think these guys take huge strides forward.

The defense definitely needs work, but again, they're hoping the kids make the jump. They're expecting a lot out of Krug, Trotman, Morrow, the Millers.

If we see noticeable improvement from these guys, it's not really out of the realm to see this team do better than last year's team. Particularly because last year's team horribly underachieved. Do I think they could make the playoffs? Yeah, I do. Barely. But they have a shot. It's the East. All it takes is an injury here or there to swing a few playoff spots.

Relying on the kids, for better or worse. It might cost Clode his job...or it might save it. How's that for irony?

Funny, some have stated that Sweeney/Neely kept Clode around to be the scapegoat if things go bad. Wouldn't you agree, though, at this point, the franchise's future success falls more on Keith Gretzky than Clode or Sweeney or Neely?

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Could we sticky this then reveal who voted for what at the end of the season? it would be interesting.

You can see who voted for what already. There is no need for a reveal. Click on the number of votes.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
play hard with a purpose and I`ll be ok with it

Me (and I'm sure many others) too. They were painful to watch and yet I did watch all of that train wreck of a season. More than anything it was the apathy that slowly killed me game in and game out.
Entertainment wise they WILL be better. In the standing I'm gonna stick my neck out and say they'll still be better than that pathetic **** show they put on. It was amazing that they only missed the playoffs by a hair last season. Even if they don't make the playoffs at least we don't have to listen to Peter C. making silly excuses about "evaluating" and "trades are hard to make" etc. For the first time in a few years the B's management has scratched the itch and showed the fortitude to make some brave moves and I'm sure they aren't done yet.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I'm hoping the same for D kids, just pay the price now and enjoy the benefits in the near future.
But again I can't see Trotman in our future plans, so I'm hoping to see a miracle pre season from C.Miller.

If it's a re-tool year then the season would seem pointless if we played guys who aren't going to be with us after next season or 2 instead of guys who could because of this be potential impact players for us real soon and help us be contenders 2016-.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Sweet, now to save this puppy for later. :naughty::naughty:

I hope that you can tell me that you told me so since I voted opposite of you. But the only way I see that happening is if the Bruins make more moves which would void this thread.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Sidenote: They need to buckle down and start the search for a #1 D sooner rather than later.

I'm hoping the search begins and ends next year with the following announcement from Sweeney: "The Boston Bruins are proud to select, from the Sarnia Sting...Jacob Chychrun".

I agree with the substance of your post. This team needed to take a step backwards if there was to be any hope of taking any forward steps in the future. Like you, I believe this process started a year too late. I also thought they could have taken a larger step back with a deal involving Krecji, but what's done is done. My only hope now is they don't resort to Franson-style band-aids. Take the pain now and look forward to a better future.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm hoping the search begins and ends next year with the following announcement from Sweeney: "The Boston Bruins are proud to select, from the Sarnia Sting...Jacob Chychrun".

I agree with the substance of your post. This team needed to take a step backwards if there was to be any hope of taking any forward steps in the future. Like you, I believe this process started a year too late. I also thought they could have taken a larger step back with a deal involving Krecji, but what's done is done. My only hope now is they don't resort to Franson-style band-aids. Take the pain now and look forward to a better future.

I'd package our both 1st round picks+ for Chychrun, with him our team would be gold for a long time.
The prospect pool/future would be set and no cap hell for a long time.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'll settle for the team being fun to watch again, last year despite 96 points was just... boring.

No intensity, no real care in the world, low scoring, etc.

Hopefully this group is more inspired.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
I'll settle for the team being fun to watch again, last year despite 96 points was just... boring.

This is exactly where I stand.

I just want these guys to dig down, and show some heart/balls. I miss this team being emotional, and showing it.

I miss when the boys used to play for each other. I hope for their sake's they build some new bonds, as I think it translates for us as viewers/fans into something exciting to watch.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
If all key players are healthy all year, I think they could make the play-offs. But overall, I think the team got worse. I am okay with the Lucic trade, but that Hamilton one was brutal.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

After the Seguin trade, Bruins fans ragged on Dallas for not making the playoffs.

If your team isn't going to make the playoffs, at least make it interesting whether that be scoring goals, fighting etc. The Bruins were one of the most boring teams in the league last season.

Dallas fans are the ones doing the ragging now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
After the Seguin trade, Bruins fans ragged on Dallas for not making the playoffs.

If your team isn't going to make the playoffs, at least make it interesting whether that be scoring goals, fighting etc. The Bruins were one of the most boring teams in the league last season.

Dallas fans are the ones doing the ragging now.

Yep, I never ever want to see that 1st half team ever again, I honestly don't know why I watched those 2am-5am every damm game :laugh:

I'm hoping to see C.Miller up because I think he could be one entertaining player to watch and at the same time it would be a big help for our future if he could play his rookie year during our re-tool year and not in our potential contender year.
Blidh is another player that I'm hoping can step up and has one helluva offseason, he screams energy.

Spooner-Pasta-C.Miller-Connolly-Blidh and (Kemppainen for me) would make sure we'd have entertainment, energy to watch, our players didn't have fun last year. These guys find their game next year then it's #timetoshine2016-

It's our re-tool year so my thinking is that that is the time to let the kids step up who are in your future plans and pay the price during your re-tool year, the season would be almost pointless if we played Irwin/kelly/Talbot all of them over these kids. I want them to pay the price now so we can fight better 2016- when this team actually has the potential/talent to fight. But I'm afraid we are going to see a boring D lineup and few vets who aren't in our plans after next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad