Is this team Better than last year ?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
As constructed right now, is this team better than last year ?
Meaning more wins, less losses.
Do not factor in Cap space. Just the current players added and subtracted.

I voted yes.

The only negative move I think was the loss of Hamilton.
I think the players traded away didn't seem to have motivation here, or lacked it last year.
Hopefully the new players bring motivation, desire, and ability to score.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No, it's not only worse, but significantly worse. That being said, Julien is actually better with less, so they may still make the playoffs. But this roster as constituted right now is far worse on paper than it was last year.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Only if we pick up a legit top 4 D-man without losing anything significant. At this point, we're probably around the same, I think. A healthy Krejci is massive for this team.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Nope.

Subtraction of Dougie Hamilton, Lucic and Smith for Beleskey and Hayes is a step down. The defense as currently constituted is sub par, slow, and lacks players who can transition the puck freely sans Krug. The talent level and name recognition up front is not as good this year compared to the last few.

Now the good news.... :D ..... The prospect pool and cap situation are better than they have been in nearly a half decade. The forwards are a group of hard nosed players with a skating element to their games and high compete levels (Pastrnak, Connolly, Beleskey, Hayes, Marchand, Loui). The group is still anchored by a talented and veteran group of Bergy, Krejci, Chara. The defense and forward prospects seem to all have above average skating, IQ and a bit of bite to their games.

The team this year is certainly in transition and to be honest this probably should have happened a year sooner. That said they are on the right track.

Sidenote: They need to buckle down and start the search for a #1 D sooner rather than later.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
talent?
no.

results? remains to be seen; i'm eager to see if they are hungry; if they execute the system with effort and are willing to outwork the opposition.

lethargy is over. (i hope)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
talent?
no.

results? remains to be seen; i'm eager to see if they are hungry; if they execute the system with effort and are willing to outwork the opposition.

lethargy is over. (i hope)

Ha! White text ftw!

I'm not so sure of the bolded though. Even when they won the cup, they had long periods of seasons under Julien where the team played uninspired, disinterested hockey. What's going to be different this year? Because Claude pinky swore to change his system to be more up tempo? Yeah, sell that BS someplace else. :laugh:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It could be me but this team is not only worse, but significantly worse on paper.

Two top six forwards and a top two defenseman out, replaced with a bordeline top 6, a border line top 9, and Matt Irwin.

Columbus and Florida have passed us IMO, looking at 11th seed .

Honestly if you vote better you all should get free fan club membership and I envy you (not being snarky)

That being said .

I'm holding out hope Krejci, Chara and Seids all return to pre-injury form.

Hoping Beleskey, Rinaldo and Hayes provide passion every night, unlike the guys last year.

I'm pumped for the future as I think our last two drafts and this years UDFA are going to be the backbone of this team when I'm in my 50's.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
In the second half of the year (or the last third) they were one of the top teams. Definitely a playoff team

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Healthy players (Chara, Seids, Krejci) will make a bigger difference than the overall lineup changes.

exactly.

Plus it will depend a lot on how the team gels. Last years team was not a team in my opinion. Didn't have eachothers backs or enough edge. This team has the potential to make that a major difference in success this year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Right now we are 10-11th on the East, I'm calling it a re-tool year sow I can survive it :laugh:

We can say healthy Krecji makes a huge difference but who here is expecting us to be 100% healthy next season? That none of the big guys will get injured, 1 injury to top guys(for longer time) and we are looking at top 5 pick.

But I'm fine with it, our 2016- future looks strong and lot brighter than it did last year and to me that the important thing, I hate losing but I hate losing for years much more.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
It could be me but this team is not only worse, but significantly worse on paper.

Two top six forwards and a top two defenseman out, replaced with a bordeline top 6, a border line top 9, and Matt Irwin.

Columbus and Florida have passed us IMO, looking at 11th seed .

Honestly if you vote better you all should get free fan club membership and I envy you (not being snarky)

That being said .

I'm holding out hope Krejci, Chara and Seids all return to pre-injury form.

Hoping Beleskey, Rinaldo and Hayes provide passion every night, unlike the guys last year.

I'm pumped for the future as I think our last two drafts and this years UDFA are going to be the backbone of this team when I'm in my 50's.

Great post, WBC8. Pretty bang on in terms of my thinking, though I'm probably more pessimistic about Seids and Chara returning to top form. I'm more hopeful about Krejci.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
said it before, say it again, I get the feeling this fan won`t feel ripped off in the effort department with this group.

No clue how that translates when it comes to the standings or Wins/Losses but I look no further that the Flames as a great example of a team who yes, have some talent, but it was their determination to play hard each shift that put them in the playoffs and THAT is the kind of effort I`m expecting

What I do believe is the 2016/17 team is the real one to watch

So much can factor in to the standings, will the Habs as an example go virtually injury free to a major piece of their team like they did pretty much the entire year last year?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
said it before, say it again, I get the feeling this fan won`t feel ripped off in the effort department with this group.

No clue how that translates when it comes to the standings or Wins/Losses but I look no further that the Flames as a great example of a team who yes, have some talent, but it was their determination to play hard each shift that put them in the playoffs and THAT is the kind of effort I`m expecting

What I do believe is the 2016/17 team is the real one to watch

So much can factor in to the standings, will the Habs as an example go virtually injury free to a major piece of their team like they did pretty much the entire year last year?

Good post. The thing we can't see yet is will this team show up and play hard every night? December in Columbus. February in Edmonton. Stuff like that. If they gel, and play for each other we may sneak in. I'm expecting no play-offs so anything else would be gravy.

I'll never forget last year and how it felt like a baseball season. Just soooooo long and so many uninspired efforts. I think we get way better this season and that could translate into more victories.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
If we pick up a legit top-4 defenseman, and everyone can stay healthy, we're the same at best.

I do agree that there's going to be more effort and our players are going to play for eachother a lot more. Sweeney wants to bring back the family we had in 2011. That takes a long time, this is the first year. Lots of changes, I fully expect a slow start. But I feel this team is going to be really exciting to watch, and it won't be long until we're back up there in the standings again.

When you have guys like Bergy, Krejci, Marchand, Chara, and Rask, guys who know what it takes to win it all and have done it before, anything can happen. Playoffs are definitely possible. But a lot will have to go our way, and they'll have to play like they're a playoff team, something I didn't see a lot of nights last year. At this point in time we're worse. But a top-4 defenseman makes us about the same, counting health and development from our younger guys.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good post. The thing we can't see yet is will this team show up and play hard every night? December in Columbus. February in Edmonton. Stuff like that. If they gel, and play for each other we may sneak in. I'm expecting no play-offs so anything else would be gravy.

I'll never forget last year and how it felt like a baseball season. Just soooooo long and so many uninspired efforts. I think we get way better this season and that could translate into more victories.

First year in almost a decade where I:

1- didn`t even bother tuning into the game

2- turned it off after the 1st

3- fell asleep during

For a sport I watch to be entertained by, not a good trio of scenarios which played out in my home last year

I don`t know what this team will do but as stated, I can at least accept a team with less skill who I don`t feel are going through the motions and I think some of this new blood will bring an energy they sorely missed

Deedot

I'm your Huckelberry
Mar 21, 2002
New York
Visit site
On paper, no. However, it's hard to discount the impact that injuries and subsequent line juggling had to our group last year. The year started oddly with the unexpected trade of Boychuk, the holdouts of Krug & Smith followed by the injury bug to several key players. Given all of our issues it's amazing we finished where we did.

This year key players like Seidenberg will have had another year between his knee reconstruction and I fully expect him to return to form. Chara had his injuries too and without the playoffs will have had more time to rest, heal up and get ready for this season. I fully expect him to come back with some snarl (yes even at his age) as the way last season unfolded couldn't have been fun. I also believe that Smith was unhappy being forced to take the contract he did and he seemed disinterested to me in his play. And if Hamilton was looking forward to leaving Boston at the end of the year I can imagine that he wasn't as committed to their success last year as he should have been.

This year's team I think might surprise some people. We've removed some stale pieces from the team, brought in people in Beleskey and Hayes that truly want to be here and that can't be overlooked even if some feel that they are more top 9 than top 6 forwards. We also would have had time for Krejci, Chara, Seids and others with injuries to have healed up and should be healthy and ready to go in October. Then there's Pasta and Spooner who were a godsend last year. I expect them both to have worked very hard this off-season in preparation for this coming year and I expect them to be stronger & more determined when they hit the ice. I expect Connelly to come in with something to provide as well as Krug, both looking for longer term paydays at the end of the year.

In summary, with the subtractions of Hamilton, Lucic, Paille, Campbell & Svedberg and the additions of Beleskey, Hayes and some of the PB's yutes I'm expecting a faster group with more energy and enthusiasm not to mention pride wearing the spoked B again.

Are we better? In some ways yes, in other ways no. But I do expect us to be that much tougher to play against and not prompt me to want to change the channel. :)

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I'm voting based on the projected 2014 opening day lineup vs the 2015 opening day lineup, and I went with about the same.

2015 opening night In: Beleskey, Pasta, Irwin, Kemppainen, Hayes, Rinaldo, Connolly, Morrow/C.Miller

2014 opening night out: Lucic, Smith, Hamilton, Soderberg, Campbell, Paille, Fraser, Robins, Bartkowski, Cunningham

Offense looks better based on depth. Losing Lucic hurts, but he wasn't himself last year anyway, I'm including Pasta as an addition because I don't think the B's were counting on him making the squad last year.

Defense looks worse with the loss of Hamilton. Bartkowski for Morrow is a fairly even swap, but Irwin for Hamilton is a clear downgrade. Hopefully a healthy Seidenberg makes up the difference.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
No. I think this team is worse, both on paper and what will be on the ice. But it feels like this group will have determination, heart; these new guys seem very eager and excited to contribute to the team.

We'll see.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Worse on paper, but it was time for a mini tear down and to restock the prospect cupboard after years near the top of the league. I think the team will be more entertaining than last year however as many have said.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
On paper, definitely not

But you could have put Mike Bossy and Wayne Gretzky on the team last year and they still would have played uninspired boring hockey

So, I think this year's team will be better by virtue of having new blood and a new mission. Some guys playing healthy oughta help as well, even though I'm very skeptical about Chara and Seidenberg being even 80% of their old selves

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Ha! White text ftw!

I'm not so sure of the bolded though. Even when they won the cup, they had long periods of seasons under Julien where the team played uninspired, disinterested hockey. What's going to be different this year? Because Claude pinky swore to change his system to be more up tempo? Yeah, sell that BS someplace else. :laugh:

Lon - we'll see. You've got some evidence and that's fair but, if we can find a way to stop getting pinned in our zone, then the 'uptempo' should work... if all hands are on deck.

'if' really is the key phrase this season. we'll see; hard telling, not knowing.

i just want effort. game in, game out.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
on paper, you have to vote no. they definitely subtracted more talent then they brought in. That said, it could very well break in their favor, and they have done a nice job stockpiling assets; draft picks and prospects that could push and/or be used to trade for future chips.

I think Sweeney and company seem to be targeting guys who have a better work ethic, and maybe that feel they have something to prove. That could pay off greatly, and we could very well be at the deadline looking at this thread and saying how wrong we all were. And if it doesn't pay off right away, the opportunity is still there for it to pay off next year, or in the near future.

I'm with the rest of you that think this could be a very entertaining hockey team, and despite the subtractions one that could still push for a playoff spot this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad