News Article: Is This Ryan Spooner's Last Chance to Impress the Boston Bruins?

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
To be clear, between Spoons and Sods, gimme the bigger, stronger (maybe not faster but..) centerman 8 days a week. I`m not one who is well schooled in the moving of "negotiation rights" but is he or would he not be an UFA on July 1st?

If a deal is looking like it can`t be struck well before then, I have to think Chia or whomever else might be in charge if he isn`t, would move him before losing him for nothing?

I agree Andrew.

I'm hoping they can keep Soderberg. If they can afford it he is just what they need down the middle with Krejci and Bergeron.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Spooner has looked much better the past 2 games.

Sure has, I proposed something a year or so ago and although I don`t think it would ever happen, it would be fun to watch if a team put together 4 lines with the focus more on skill and less concern with that 4th being your "energy" line

I have been tough but fair on Spoons IMO. I see what others see (the speed,vision and skill) but haven`t seen it all put together in 3 zones, very small sample size this call up and in spite of two of those games being against the Yotes and Devils, you can only play who`s on your schedule and I noticed last night (missed the Devils game) that he appears to be identifying far quicker where he needs to be in the D zone without that slight hesitation he had in his previous time here

Claude demands alot from his center men, and it isn`t easy, Spoons is young, and I`m a patient SOB so I don`t have any issues with a kid learning the game at the AHL level but last night was nice to see, some very quick decisions in his own end, doesn`t mean he has to win every battle, but if he identifies quickly and at least is in there making the effort to execute, I`ve long been a believer Claude will continue to play him, if he were to fall back and hesitate to recognize where he needs to be, he won`t get that ice time

Nice improvement defensively thus far from the kid

bruinsenator

Feb 12, 2015
sun garrioch said that teams are after spoon but we wont trade him. see hes the guy id move!

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Trading Spooner would be as big a mistake as the Seguin deal. Not that I think Spooner is going to be as good as Seguin, but I think he is going to be good, and we would get less for him now than we did for Seguin.

Move Campbell, play Spooner and Koko (during DK's absence). Next year, trade Soda (or move to wing). Of course it all depends on whether Spooner/Koko live up to their potential, but how many teams would have more talent down the middle than...

Bergeron
Krejci
Spooner
Koko

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Sure has, I proposed something a year or so ago and although I don`t think it would ever happen, it would be fun to watch if a team put together 4 lines with the focus more on skill and less concern with that 4th being your "energy" line. I have been tough but fair on Spoons IMO. I see what others see (the speed,vision and skill) but haven`t seen it all put together in 3 zones, very small sample size this call up and in spite of two of those games being against the Yotes and Devils, you can only play who`s on your schedule and I noticed last night (missed the Devils game) that he appears to be identifying far quicker where he needs to be in the D zone without that slight hesitation he had in his previous time here. Claude demands alot from his center men, and it isn`t easy, Spoons is young, and I`m a patient SOB so I don`t have any issues with a kid learning the game at the AHL level but last night was nice to see, some very quick decisions in his own end, doesn`t mean he has to win every battle, but if he identifies quickly and at least is in there making the effort to execute, I`ve long been a believer Claude will continue to play him, if he were to fall back and hesitate to recognize where he needs to be, he won`t get that ice time. Nice improvement defensively thus far from the kid

This is Spooner, at his best, breaking through the dull system, while announcing, 'I am the system.' Claude is a passenger at this point, and Spooner is the sage. A glimpse of the future.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This is Spooner, at his best, breaking through the dull system, while announcing, 'I am the system.' Claude is a passenger at this point, and Spooner is the sage. A glimpse of the future.

Agreed. Spooner playing well with talent on his line shows me that it was Julien holding him back the entire time. Should have been up here all season, well ahead of the other AHL options they tried, IMO. The team and roster had become too one dimensional, with grinder-centric players who can't create their own scoring chances, which is what CJ favors. You lose DK, and Spooner/Pasta/Lucic suddenly becomes a breath of fresh air on a very stagnant team.

And yet again, we see a young player with offensive upside only get a shot because Julien was forced to. No DK injury, we never see Spooner/Pasta and the clear cut chemistry they have.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Agreed. Spooner playing well with talent on his line shows me that it was Julien holding him back the entire time. Should have been up here all season, well ahead of the other AHL options they tried, IMO. The team and roster had become too one dimensional, with grinder-centric players who can't create their own scoring chances, which is what CJ favors. You lose DK, and Spooner/Pasta/Lucic suddenly becomes a breath of fresh air on a very stagnant team.

And yet again, we see a young player with offensive upside only get a shot because Julien was forced to. No DK injury, we never see Spooner/Pasta and the clear cut chemistry they have.

But the leadership brought by Robins and Gagne...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

That's why this team is full of drones, and third liners. No skill and no imagination on this team is hampered by the trap and Clode.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That's why this team is full of drones, and third liners. No skill and no imagination on this team is hampered by the trap and Clode.

Exactly. It's been more than obvious for a while now. Frustrates the **** out of me too. PC should have stepped in and protected Julien from himself, but he let it go on. For way too long.

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
Spooner playing well with talent on his line shows me that it was Julien holding him back the entire time.

Or...it shows how important it was that this organization TEACH him that lesson. It could be that Ryan NOW better understands what is expected of him. But to you it makes more sense that he has ALWAYS been a complete player and the coach and organization "held him back".

Simple question. In your expert opinion, has Spooner's game changed, developed or advanced since his demotion and recall?

No DK injury, we never see Spooner/Pasta and the clear cut chemistry they have.

LOL...they developed that chemistry in Providence...can't have the chicken without the egg...

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Simple question. In your expert opinion, has Spooner's game changed, developed or advanced since his demotion and recall?
LOL...they developed that chemistry in Providence...can't have the chicken without the egg...

Pastrnak played next to Koko in Providence for the most part. Koko-Spooner-Pastrnak were allowed to develop their 'upbeat can be fun' offerings under Cassidy's tutelage, in other words, get out there and play to your strengths.

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
Pastrnak played next to Koko in Providence for the most part. Koko-Spooner-Pasternak were allowed to develop their 'upbeat can be fun' offerings under Cassidy's tutelage, in other words, get out there and play to your strengths.

There is a significant difference in his game this time through. He very obviously has convinced himself to go to the dirty areas. He is still not great at it but he clearly understands that the organization and fan base EXPECT him to use the shoulder pads he is wearing.

This is NOT to say he needs to be a MORE physical player. What he needed to change was his shying away from physically engaging the opponent. Too often he would pull up short instead of making contact. Pasternak has shown an understanding of this type of physical commitment. Ryan is showing a LOT more of that right now.

I guess I don't understand why we need to bash the Organization for teaching a young talented player what it takes to play in the NHL. He appears to have learned from it. The Bruins are getting better hockey out of him now. What's the problem?

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
There is a significant difference in his game this time through. He very obviously has convinced himself to go to the dirty areas. He is still not great at it but he clearly understands that the organization and fan base EXPECT him to use the shoulder pads he is wearing.
This is NOT to say he needs to be a MORE physical player. What he needed to change was his shying away from physically engaging the opponent. Too often he would pull up short instead of making contact. Pasternak has shown an understanding of this type of physical commitment. Ryan is showing a LOT more of that right now.
I guess I don't understand why we need to bash the Organization for teaching a young talented player what it takes to play in the NHL. He appears to have learned from it. The Bruins are getting better hockey out of him now. What's the problem?

Claude's the passenger on this train, and Spooner holds the classy high ground. CJ has come face-to-face with his own coaching mortality this year on a couple of occasions, and now forced by circumstance to turn to the player he once publicly rejected to show him the way. Spooner willing to oblige, but he will do it his way. Did you see that patented Spoonie sideways dipsy-doodle skating maneuver, way out on the wing, even though he was supposed to be playing center.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
Ryan Spooner doesn't look a damn bit different to me.....he's playing with another highly skilled offensive player and has Lucic out there creating space.....go figure he's actually having success when you give him a good opportunity to play his game and let him breathe......

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ryan Spooner doesn't look a damn bit different to me.....he's playing with another highly skilled offensive player and has Lucic out there creating space.....go figure he's actually having success when you give him a good opportunity to play his game and let him breathe......

We can close the thread now because this is 100% correct. Nothing has changed other than Julien's options. At this point, he has to live with the mistakes a young player is going to make while benefiting from the positives he brings. Sad that it had to be forced on the coach, and it's a huge issue that Chiarelli let it get to this point. Spooner should have been here all season long.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
We can close the thread now because this is 100% correct. Nothing has changed other than Julien's options. At this point, he has to live with the mistakes a young player is going to make while benefiting from the positives he brings. Sad that it had to be forced on the coach, and it's a huge issue that Chiarelli let it get to this point. Spooner should have been here all season long.

What a mess. Both here and in Providence. Starting to think its a good ol boys club. Not good.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I know the success of Spooner is a perfect time to take even more shots at Claude, but I'd rather the have Spooner and Pasta fresh for these last 20 games. If they both played an 82 game season there is a good chance they would be worn down by the time the playoffs come.

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014

Like it or not Ryan's game has improved, and he has matured (still a long way to go). It will be interesting to see if he maintains this commitment when the competition scales up.

...you appear determined to turn the Ryan Spooner thread into the "Julien screwed this one up too" thread...have fun with that...

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I know the success of Spooner is a perfect time to take even more shots at Claude, but I'd rather the have Spooner and Pasta fresh for these last 20 games. If they both played an 82 game season there is a good chance they would be worn down by the time the playoffs come.

Someone may have mentioned this earlier in the season as a possibility, that a full NHL season for these undersized kids might render them useless come season's end.

Anyway, this thread is not really about the kids anymore. Its reached the usual crap on Clode stage.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
If spooner doesnt look different now then you were only seeing what you wanted to see

He played timid, passive, looked lost positionally at times.

He has made huge steps on all three, it's clear as day to me when watching him play. I've liked spooner since he was drafted, saw him live a handful of times over the past 5 years, and I'll tell you the worst hes ever looked was the beginning of the season. I'm thanking the heavens he turned it around, didn't want to see him break out with another team

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Someone may have mentioned this earlier in the season as a possibility, that a full NHL season for these undersized kids might render them useless come season's end.

Anyway, this thread is not really about the kids anymore. Its reached the usual crap on Clode stage.

What has he done this season to right the ship? He's let guys play effortless hockey for 3 quarters of the year, and only recently benched Paille. That's far too long to allow guys to play complacent hockey. Seems to me that the criticism he's getting is warranted. It also says a lot that he's picked guys like Griffith, Cunningham, Fraser, Gagne, Paille, Campbell, etc...over players with actual upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad