News Article: Is This Ryan Spooner's Last Chance to Impress the Boston Bruins?

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Just putting this out there.
With Spooner and Koko so close to regular NHL action at center does that make Soderburg the odd man out also considering his UFA status?
Let's say Spooner plays great hockey for the rest of the year and makes a case to stay should we be looking to trade Yeti?
Just curious on opinions.
I mean I know we won't know if Spooner is ready by the deadline but is this something worth looking into?
Yeti has a great cap hit right now and I could see lots if teams interested in his services and negotiation rights.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
With Spooner and Koko so close to regular NHL action at center does that make Soderburg the odd man out also considering his UFA status?
Let's say Spooner plays great hockey for the rest of the year and makes a case to stay should we be looking to trade Yeti?
I mean I know we won't know if Spooner is ready by the deadline but is this something worth looking into?
Yeti has a great cap hit right now and I could see lots if teams interested in his services and negotiation rights.

Absolutely. The only consideration is that Yeti is built for the play-offs, but Spoons might initially struggle a little. He might not also.

Personally I'd make a trade. Time to show faith in the talent that we have.

headflop

Jan 29, 2014
Melbourne, Australia

pretty sure Soderburg is 2nd in the teams points? not sure its a good play to trade him.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin

If you trade Soderberg at the deadline we will miss the playoffs for sure. Why would we do that?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
pretty sure Soderburg is 2nd in the teams points? not sure its a good play to trade him.

nor is it good asset management to lose a player outright

I am 110% guessing here but I have to think Chia, Sods and his agent (if he has one?) have at least had some talks about his plans moving forward.

IF Spooner asserts himself well coming down the stretch, it certainly provides the team with options but I think I`d prefer CS centering that 3rd line moving forward before Spooner BUT.....for cap space, Spooner would be the wise choice down the line, move Soderberg over the summer?

headflop

Jan 29, 2014
Melbourne, Australia

I am 110% guessing here but I have to think Chia, Sods and his agent (if he has one?) have at least had some talks about his plans moving forward.

IF Spooner asserts himself well coming down the stretch, it certainly provides the team with options but I think I`d prefer CS centering that 3rd line moving forward before Spooner BUT.....for cap space, Spooner would be the wise choice down the line, move Soderberg over the summer?

For sure, but only if we needed the cap space & if spooner was putting up some serious numbers.

No point letting cyclops go now on a whim.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
For sure, but only if we needed the cap space & if spooner was putting up some serious numbers.

No point letting cyclops go now on a whim.

if I understand correctly, this team will be in tight to the cap again, Krug and Smitty to look at re-signing among others ( man I miss capgeek)

I think the B`s say good bye to the Paille/Soupy and Quaider`s, maybe look at moving Seids

One year like this is enough, no way Jacobs allows this team to return to the mediocrity of the previous decade and a barn with alot of empty seats

headflop

Jan 29, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
if I understand correctly, this team will be in tight to the cap again, Krug and Smitty to look at re-signing among others ( man I miss capgeek)

I think the B`s say good bye to the Paille/Soupy and Quaider`s, maybe look at moving Seids

One year like this is enough, no way Jacobs allows this team to return to the mediocrity of the previous decade and a barn with alot of empty seats

I would be okay with seeing Smitty & Paille go.

We need quaider IMO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I would be okay with seeing Smitty & Paille go.

We need quaider IMO.

I think there would be a Quaider or two out there this summer, game is getting faster, he isn`t

absolutely love the guy`s toughness and willingness to drop em but...

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Nice goal, happy for him and hope it gives him some confidence. But before the goal I was thinking he was below average at best. I really don't like how he came to the puck first on an entry zone rime to just rime it the other way behind the net to no one and that, way before any red shirt came close to him. If is willingless to get hit and fight for the puck was just say "a little below average" I wouldn't mind, but sadly it's worst than that.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Do you mean, move him for his negotiating rights?

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I think there would be a Quaider or two out there this summer, game is getting faster, he isn`t

absolutely love the guy`s toughness and willingness to drop em but...

I have to be honest I am afraid to lose Adam because he now does what Thornton did. He is the one that is answering the questionable hits and dirty plays with either a fight or at least a talk. Millar is tough enough to do the job but most of his fights when he was healthy were people challenging him. If you are watching closely Mcquaid is the guy now. I remember he wasnt even on the ice when someone did something to Krug and he made sure he went out of his way to talk to him. I know fighting isn't what it once was but if he does go which I really think he might somebody like Millar better step up the team part of his toughness.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Do you mean, move him for his negotiating rights?

To be clear, between Spoons and Sods, gimme the bigger, stronger (maybe not faster but..) centerman 8 days a week. I`m not one who is well schooled in the moving of "negotiation rights" but is he or would he not be an UFA on July 1st?

If a deal is looking like it can`t be struck well before then, I have to think Chia or whomever else might be in charge if he isn`t, would move him before losing him for nothing?

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
To be clear, between Spoons and Sods, gimme the bigger, stronger (maybe not faster but..) centerman 8 days a week. I`m not one who is well schooled in the moving of "negotiation rights" but is he or would he not be an UFA on July 1st?

If a deal is looking like it can`t be struck well before then, I have to think Chia or whomever else might be in charge if he isn`t, would move him before losing him for nothing?

I one hundred percent agree with you. I would much rather have Carl any day if we can do it money wise . I think Peter has to trade one of them in the next few days. I am hoping he thinks he can sign Carl and trades Spooner for Vermette. Due to the D.K injury he has to get a center back if he trades one now. If he cant he has to trade Spooner in the summer or let Carl walk for nothing which would be painful.

Just for the record I do not think Spooner is looking as great as most on here do which is why I would rather sign Carl. If I saw what most of you guys are seeing I would trade Carl in a second.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I one hundred percent agree with you. I would much rather have Carl any day if we can do it money wise . I think Peter has to trade one of them in the next few days. I am hoping he thinks he can sign Carl and trades Spooner for Vermette. Due to the D.K injury he has to get a center back if he trades one now. If he cant he has to trade Spooner in the summer or let Carl walk for nothing which would be painful.

I just can`t see Chia letting Sods walk for nothing, going to be interesting

I like Spoons, not as much as many here admittedly but if Sods can be re-signed at a reasonably cap friendly deal.....I make that signing yesterday, then there`s the flip side, Spoons as a 3rd line center (where he won`t be given as much attention from the opponents top pairings) could be a nice, cheap option, I just feel more comfortable with CS than I do with Spooner.......at this stage

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Nice goal, happy for him and hope it gives him some confidence. But before the goal I was thinking he was below average at best. I really don't like how he came to the puck first on an entry zone rime to just rime it the other way behind the net to no one and that, way before any red shirt came close to him. If is willingless to get hit and fight for the puck was just say "a little below average" I wouldn't mind, but sadly it's worst than that.

But he skates so fast......

Clearly not the whole package. Seems to be a good power play player. Will need to produce points to make up for other deficiency.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country

Fair points, but how many NHL games has Spooner had to really acclimate himself and learn what it takes playing against the best in the world?

Clode's 'system' buries and stifles creativity, and also does not forgive mistakes.

Personally I was thrilled to see Spooner score that 'laser' goal. How many other B's would take that shot and score that way?

You just can't replace skill with grit on every shift. This team has been neutered of skill since this run began and I think the results of that constant pruning and de-emphasis has really come back to bite an aging, slogging, slow team.

Inject some youth. Inject some speed. Keep up with other teams up and down the ice and PLEASE give young players a chance to learn the game before banishing them at flick of a switch when a mental mistake happens.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fair points, but how many NHL games has Spooner had to really acclimate himself and learn what it takes playing against the best in the world?

Clode's 'system' buries and stifles creativity, and also does not forgive mistakes.

Personally I was thrilled to see Spooner score that 'laser' goal. How many other B's would take that shot and score that way?

You just can't replace skill with grit on every shift. This team has been neutered of skill since this run began and I think the results of that constant pruning and de-emphasis has really come back to bite an aging, slogging, slow team.

Inject some youth. Inject some speed. Keep up with other teams up and down the ice and PLEASE give young players a chance to learn the game before banishing them at flick of a switch when a mental mistake happens.

buries and stifles creativity yet we look back at his years behind this teams bench and the boys have been in the top 5 of scoring how many times???

Must be all grinder goals

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

I keep seeing this notion that this team is somehow over the hill. They're literally the mid-point for average age in the league

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams?year=2015

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
My overall take on Spooner is he would produce a good amount of points but I am not guessing he will score too many goals. He would help this team on the powerplay and shoot outs. I really don't think I will ever feel great about his defensive 5 on 5 game but hopefully if we keep him I am way off on that.
The problem with you guys that say inject some talent etc is this team is not currently or even close to being built that way. We could throw three of those type guys out there and not match a lot of teams. We win by effort, systems, defense etc and we cant afford anyone who isn't good in both ends. The difference between winning and losing in the nhl is beyond close and our game style even lowers it a bit more.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
But he skates so fast...... Clearly not the whole package. Seems to be a good power play player. Will need to produce points to make up for other deficiency.

How many Boston forwards are deficient in some way. I need two hands to count them. Most of them can't shoot a puck for starters. This narrow focus on Spooner's supposed defensive shortcomings is misplaced and originated from a coach trying to protect his old roster guy who never competed for the spot in training camp by the way. Did you notice Spooner has Lucic moving his heavy feet again for the first time all season. Hopefully it rubs off on Claude's tunnel vision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad