News Article: Is This Ryan Spooner's Last Chance to Impress the Boston Bruins?

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Ryan Spooner doesn't look a damn bit different to me.....he's playing with another highly skilled offensive player and has Lucic out there creating space.....go figure he's actually having success when you give him a good opportunity to play his game and let him breathe......

The kid can skate sideways faster than most of the rest of the team can go in a straight line...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7z7vibbAeE

:amazed:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
And what will happen when DK and G. Campbell come back ?
Does Spooner stay up or is he back at Prov ?
If I was a betting man, I'd say Spooner to Prov.
You really need Campbell. I mean 8 years ago he played an entire
shift on a broken leg.;)

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
And what will happen when DK and G. Campbell come back ?
Does Spooner stay up or is he back at Prov ?
If I was a betting man, I'd say Spooner to Prov.
You really need Campbell. I mean 8 years ago he played an entire
shift on a broken leg.;)

Campbell should ride the pine until further notice.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The big question now is how do you keep him in the line up when Krejci comes back?

Do you play him now and then sit him in the playoffs depending on the match up?

Glad I don't have to make this decision.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I keep seeing people talk about the Julien system & sorry for the noob question but can someone please explain to me what exactly the system is?

Basically our D always stay within the dots in the defensive zone, that's why there are so many bodies near the paint. If one defenseman commits to going after the puck in the corners, he expects/always gets support from a forward. That guy's partner always covers the front of the net to try and cover the weak side. Where we've been failing a lot this year is that the weak side coverage has been bad and sometimes awful. Hamilton is particularly bad at it for example (and Seids used to be amazing at it). Another spot we've been failing is in the puck battle in the corner to begin with. We used to win them more often, and now some of our guys are getting beat to the punch. Not having a Boychuk there for example, does matter. That weak side guy is also responsible for separating any defender from a rebound, again an area we've regressed this year (and again, think Hamilton and even sometimes Chara which is unusual for us to see in a hockey game).

So since the forwards are always committed to supporting the D in puck battles, they've got to backcheck extremely hard, collapse in the slot, and basically play like dmen themselves at times. So almost nobody on our forward group is ever allowed to cheat/cherry pick the way you see other offensive stars/systems do.

In our system it's also always the forwards job to separate the puck carrier from the puck. So part of their reduced numbers in my estimation come from the fact that they've been coached into low risk taking so they don't get caught flat footed with the opponent's forwards going the other way. The years where the goal scoring has been high for the Bruins (in spite of the increased forward responsibility) is due to the system forcing so many opposition neutral zone turnovers. But it's predicated on the Bruin's forwards actually forcing the turnovers, and then cashing in their chances. We've not cashed in too many of those in 2014-2015. Try and think of how few odd man rushes we've converted this year. We had one a few games back on a 4 on 2, and most of us were actually surprised they scored.

The Julien system is so physically demanding that it's greatly facilitated by short hard shifts, hence his preference for 4 lines, particularly in the playoffs. He also doesn't mind a smart dump-in since it's very much like chess. If he feels a dump-in is going to lead to a situation where the forward can pressure a giveaway, he'll take it over a less intelligent play. In the playoffs he also likes to stack his lines with multiple centres, since maintaining possession in either zone is so important, and the stupid refs love waiving c's out of the dot.

Anyway that's it, in a nutshell.

Last edited:

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
The big question now is how do you keep him in the line up when Krejci comes back?

Do you play him now and then sit him in the playoffs depending on the match up?

Glad I don't have to make this decision.

I'm really glad I'm not making that decision either. Although it hasn't been all stiff competition they have faced, they certainly have looked really good as a line. They have completely rejuvenated Looch and got him continuously moving his feet.

As a matter of fact, I can't say that line has looked this good all year.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The role of Greg Campbell will now be played by Max Talbot...

You know what's better than Greg Campbell? 2 of him. Guaranteed the 4th line will be Campbell, Paille, and Talbot going forward. It will also be the go to line for Claude when down a goal with less than two minutes left. :naughty:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
In the next few days, when Talbot and Campbell are available, Spooner will see exactly where he sits with the Bruins. If he isn't playing, and I don't expect he will, If I were him I get out of the org as soon as he can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad