Prospect Info: Is This Lazar's Last Game? Update 06/11: Nope

SenatorArmy*

If he's earned it he's earned it. You don't send a guy down as a business decision, IMO. We have roster players that Lazar is playing better than or on par with. THis is where he develops now. Junior will do nothing for him. He needs to develop his offensive game at the NHL level. Given the capacity they're using him in I don't know why people would expect much offense yet anyway.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
My concern about keeping him up is that he's a scorer and he's not scoring. He's clearly capable enough defensively, but I want to develop a top line player and he might be better served back in junior and scoring more goals.

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
He should be put in the ahl, he is too good for juniors and will develop offensively better in bingo. Burn a year for many great years ahead

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
He'd be better off finishing his junior commitment. Back to junior. One hell of a smart player though.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
can someone see who lazars most common competition was last night? im just curious because it was the first game where i really thought he struggled, wondering if he got tougher matchups as oppose to past games.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
can someone see who lazars most common competition was last night? im just curious because it was the first game where i really thought he struggled, wondering if he got tougher matchups as oppose to past games.

He looked a little off last night, perhaps it was the weight on his shoulders of it being his "9th game". I did notice he was playing against Datsyuk on a few shifts...thats a tough match up.

If he was eligible for AHL then I would consider assigning him to Bingo but since he isnt he should stay with the Sens

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

I was behind the Wings bench and one thing I noticed all night when Lazar was on the ice. As soon as even one player from the wings was changing, he was always looking at the bench to see who it was. He was aware at all times who was on the ice against his line.

I did notice a few shifts where he was against Datsyuk and as soon as Pavel jumped on the ice, the kid line had someone shadowing him and always watching out for him.

Im sure the coach is happy with his play. He's likely told him to focus on the defensive side for now and when the comfort level and timing is better, the goals will come. His line is generating more scoring chances than Zibby's line so I'm sure he'll stay.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Hes been on pks, he's been on 4 on 4s, he's been on OT.

Not much for his development changes if he goes back to junior except we lose a top 9 forward.

If you think this dooms his to bottom 6 eternity then it seems like you're just not used to seeing 19 year olds in the NHL and how they grow for 3 years. A year in junior isn't going to change the fact that the top 6 is full next year too. Still the best two way 19 year old ive seen in Ottawa.

Easy to argue fine here. Some of you have unrealistic expectations of what would happen in junior. Could see an argument that a month in the A would be a bit more ideal but both choices are far and away better than junior

Last edited:

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
If he does get sent down (though I doubt he will) how come everyone says he will be going back to junior? Why not Bingo? He's way too good for junior at this point and would hinder his development.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
If he does get sent down (though I doubt he will) how come everyone says he will be going back to junior? Why not Bingo? He's way too good for junior at this point and would hinder his development.

Because the NHL/CHL agreement specifies that a player of his age cannot be sent to the AHL until after his CHL team's season is over

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007

He can't play in the AHL because of the NHL-CHL agreement.

The NHL-CHL agreement mandates that players drafted from the CHL must complete their entire major junior eligibility before being permitted to play full time in the AHL or any professional league other than the NHL.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
He can't play in the AHL because of the NHL-CHL agreement.

The NHL-CHL agreement mandates that players drafted from the CHL must complete their entire major junior eligibility before being permitted to play full time in the AHL or any professional league other than the NHL.

Ahh wasn't aware of that. Makes sense then, I assumed they thought he wasn't ready for the AHL.

With that being said, I strongly believe the NHL would be better for his development. Playing in junior would just be a walk in the park for him at this point. To quote Omar Little from The Wire, "How do you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies"?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Ahh wasn't aware of that. Makes sense then, I assumed they thought he wasn't ready for the AHL.

If he wasn't ready for the ahl he wouldn't be playing in the NHL right now.

Just a clarification on the rules, if a player was drafted outside of the chl, he can play in the ahl at 18/19. Zibanejad and lehner did this.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
My concern about keeping him up is that he's a scorer and he's not scoring. He's clearly capable enough defensively, but I want to develop a top line player and he might be better served back in junior and scoring more goals.

This would be the only explanation we could understand. It is a concern that he is not on the score sheet, but he just ignites Hoffman and Stone and they are.

I suspect the scoring will come, but that is the gamble, isn't it.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
This would be the only explanation we could understand. It is a concern that he is not on the score sheet, but he just ignites Hoffman and Stone and they are.

I suspect the scoring will come, but that is the gamble, isn't it.

If you spend as much time around the net as those 3 are with the puck, you get points.

The difference between Hoffman and stone is they weren't capable of doing this at 19.

Never gonna wow you with offensive skills but he'll put up points. If you can get around the net with puck and make plays off the boards you're gonna get points

I'd think of his offensive game as a lesser version of toews. Toews scores most of his points from in tight, not that often from beyond 15 feet. That's pretty well what lazar is and nothing's gonna change that. It's a great way to play

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
i thought he played fine out there. You can't really tell he's a rookie. The goals will come. He would have scored had Stone been able to get that puck to him from behind the net, you could tell Lazar was disappointed. He's getting to the right spots to score just hasn't happened yet.

At this point i'm more in favour of keeping him. However, it's obvious he can be easily replaced by pageau. Going by past history it's more likely greening draws in than they call up pageau so let Lazar stay haha.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
So happy to hear this type of rhetoric. I hope he stays. We can be patient with the score sheet when we balance off the intangibles.

If nothing else, he sells tickets.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Lazar should stay! 3 assists isn't bad at all and more offense is coming. He was won a memorial cup, 2 WHL Championships and a world junior appearance. Now let's let him develop his game in the NHL. If he stays he will get more ice time as the season progresses

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Can't wait til he plays his 10th game tomorrow so we can close the book on this argument.

They way the coach uses him and the way he talks about him give me very little doubt he's staying up. He makes the team better and is himself improving all the time.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
I would lose some interest in this year's season if we send him down. Kid can play.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
When coach made that comment about his play with the puck I thought it was a sign he was going back to Edmonton. I'd be happy to keep him on the team, despite a rough game last night I think he earned the chance to stay.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
When coach made that comment about his play with the puck I thought it was a sign he was going back to Edmonton. I'd be happy to keep him on the team, despite a rough game last night I think he earned the chance to stay.

Rough game is a little harsh IMO. He was fine.

It's when the player looks overwhelmed and you don't trust him that he needs to be sent back. You can make mistakes and not look overwhelmed or you can look overwhelmed, I haven't seen this from him. And Maclean clearly trusts him, he's been on OT since preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad