Prospect Info: Is This Lazar's Last Game? Update 06/11: Nope

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Send him down, let him excel in the WJC and go for another memorial cup run. He will be a fixture of this team for years to come, this shouldn't be viewed as a set back

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
**** the WJC

It's a pointless tournament that is only driven by media hype that followed a good string of years by Canada

It should not be a determinant factor in deciding if Lazar stays or not

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
It seems that young talented players are being brought into the league sooner now that in the older days, maybe having to do with the speed that the new NHL demands.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
he will put us higher in the standings when all is said and done, but i still dont think we will make the playoffs so that will be a bad thing, also helps to save an ELC year on him, and have a better Lazar for the 3 years of his ELC.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
he will put us higher in the standings when all is said and done, but i still dont think we will make the playoffs so that will be a bad thing, also helps to save an ELC year on him, and have a better Lazar for the 3 years of his ELC.

i can see saving a year on ELC, but ill support whatever the teams evaluation is about keeping him or not.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I can see Lazar being sent down so that they can keep a year from being burnt off his ELC.

Comes in the year after and dominates NHL.

I think Pageau can offer similar impact and due to that, the decision to send him down will be easier. Also boosts up Pageau's trade value immensely if they wish to trade him for a big asset near the deadline or something like that.

Other than that, he shouldn't be sent down at all, especially if he's playing with Hoffman and Stone who will only improve his offensive game with their ridiculous IQ and chemistry.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't think they are worried about 1 year of ELC at game 10, I think the one that would concern them more is game 40 and 1 year of UFA sooner.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, send him down. He's going to be a great player but he needs to iron out his offensive game a little better.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
**** the WJC

It's a pointless tournament that is only driven by media hype that followed a good string of years by Canada

I'm with you, it's decent hockey cuz its the best kids in the world, but I really couldn't give less of a crap about it or who wins.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Young players have to force the team's hand. Lazar hasn't.

He has, and he's staying. It's not about offense at this point but strong effort and defensive responsibility while adding some spark on any line he's on. Also, no one wants to stump his progress by sending him down to play with kids. I dont think he'll be sent down 40 games in either. Curtis is here to stay yo.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Wow. Funny how different people view this Tournament. WJC is awesome Hockey from the best kids in the world showing there stuff! :yo:

Agreed. Canada vs USA in 2009 was one of the finest games of hockey I've ever watched.

...wish I could get a copy of it.

Anyway, Lazar's been good but I wouldn't be sad if he went back down again. Save a year on his ELC and let him be "the guy" in the WHL. Afaik in past years the heavy lifting was shared among a larger group of Oil Kings players.

I don't think he needs to go down to work on offense, or anything really, but I still think he'd benefit from a year spent tearing up a lower league. He can stay up and be a solid defensive presence or go down and dominate. Either way is good for him really.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
**** the WJC

You don't think him potentially being the captain of the team and having a great tournament will help him?

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I think just like Ceci did last year, he's making it nearly impossible for the team to send him down. Although it's not allowed, the only way he should be sent down is if he could go to the AHL. I truly believe spending this season there would be perfect for him. However, that's not an option. Seeing him play in the NHL makes it pretty obvious he belongs there. No way will he benefit from playing in the juniors.

If the Sens manage to even play 4 games in the playoffs then each game would be worth 100x the development he'd get in the WJC. Fact is, the team is better with him in the lineup and that just increases the chance of making the playoffs (or at the very least be in the hunt for a spot).

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
He has, and he's staying. It's not about offense at this point but strong effort and defensive responsibility while adding some spark on any line he's on. Also, no one wants to stump his progress by sending him down to play with kids. I dont think he'll be sent down 40 games in either. Curtis is here to stay yo.

I agree. He is one of the more entertaining players to watch each night and his line is creating havoc and scoring goals, even though he has yet to tally for himself. That will happen soon enough. Lazar has the maturity to learn and grow in NHL, junior would bore him.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
You don't think him potentially being the captain of the team and having a great tournament will help him?

The bright side of allowing Lazar to attend to the World Junior Championships is that it would allow for a snap shot of how Pageau could fit in on the bottom six. However, I would prefer to have him playing on the team and helping them to a playoff position. That should always be the goal.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wow. Funny how different people view this Tournament. WJC is awesome Hockey from the best kids in the world showing there stuff! :yo:

And what if he has an underwhelming tournament?

One problem with the NHL kids in this tourney, is they're used to playing at a faster pace than juniors. It takes several games to re-sync to the junior style and mesh better with their junior linemates. Unfortunately, with the junior camps these days being badly compressed, that "syncing" process ends up happening during the tourney instead of the tune up games. If a guy doesn't make the switchover quickly (think Dumba last year), he really ends up looking bad - especially when people expect a hat trick-like performance from the mighty NHLers every game.

We also have to factor in that TC will be showcasing McJesus. Other centers won't be receiving the premier icetime in the tourney this season, so Lazar would either be switched to wing, or centering the second line.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I like his play so far because he doesn't hurt the team and plays really well defensively and without the puck and that is already a very good sign. He needs to score some goals , get in the dirty areas and be physical and at this point I think he just doesn't devellop that playing about 13 minutes a night with bottom 6 players.

I don't see how a guy like Condra deserves to be out of the line-up because of Lazar playing. From what I've seen so far, Condra seems to be playing extremely good! He's making our PK so much better that it's worth to have him in playing every night. He's also faster than he was last year, I believe he worked very hard this summer.

The only reason we're having this dilemma is because Lazar doesn't deserve to go back to the WHL, but because of the way the system works its either WHL or NHL. I think a year of AHL would benefit A whole lot to Lazar but he has nothing more to show in the W.

Condra deserves to be on the team and Greening as a 13th forward. Try to unload Greening and call-up Pageau/Robinson/Puemple who really deserve shots at this point, and even more than Lazar.

This being said, I'd send down Lazar because Pageau can offer similar caracteristics and he is older and played great during pre-season. Whoever believes that Lazar deserves to be on this team more than Pageau should really look back at preseason. Pageau was a beast and he's ready to play.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Not moreso than playing a full year in the best league in the world no

Playing against other NHLers is a much more daunting task than other kids

If he was having a hard time in the NHL then it could be a good idea to send him there to build his confidence

It doesn't seem to be something we ought to be worried about: he's been solid if unspectacular

There is an argument to make that we could send him down and bring up Pageau however. That would make sense even if I'd rather have both of them on the team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not moreso than playing a full year in the best league in the world no

Playing against other NHLers is a much more daunting task than other kids

If he was having a hard time in the NHL then it could be a good idea to send him there to build his confidence

It doesn't seem to be something we ought to be worried about: he's been solid if unspectacular

There is an argument to make that we could send him down and bring up Pageau however. That would make sense even if I'd rather have both of them on the team.

both side bring up some good points.

personally my fear is sending him down and our team being a lo less attractive. Hes our only entertaining peice right now i think... we have stone an dhoffman as well but the fans havent gotten behind a player like this since... i dont even know. he could be what brings this fan base together.. like aragorn (not the poster, the character)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad