Is this a legal shootout goal?

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
I don't get how this could be the explanation? Were they watching a different replay?
EQtVr74UUAED3Uz

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Obviously, it isn't possible to conclusively say based on that one angle, but it definitely looks to me like it shouldn't have counted.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
By the letter of the law those datsyuk dekes wouldn't be legal.

This was a joke, no way it should have counted

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
that's like, right on the ragged edge of what i consider to be "just puck handling", he was going pretty parallel though i think it's a stretch to call it "backwards" given the camera angle parallax

just a million ways to interpret the rule cause all it really says is the puck has to remain in motion towards the goal line

every stickhandle pulls the puck forward and back so that's a big ol grey area. i guess you could argue that a puck travelling parallel to the goal line would technically be moving away from the goal line once it's outside of the post's plane

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Don't like it but it's legal. It annoys me when Patrick Kane does something similar as well.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
.... every stickhandle pulls the puck forward and back so that's a big ol grey area. ...
I thought about that too, but I think while the puck is pulled backwards with regular stick handling, a player is moving forward towards the net - in some cases extremely slow, and also in some cases almost parallel. But in this case, not only was the puck pulled back, but the skater was beyond parallel and moving away from the goal line.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Those moves by Panarin reminded me of this shootout goal Mitch Marner had against Ottawa, which they thought should not count and after a review it still did.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
According to the rule, how in the hell does the puck keep constant motion towards the opponents goal line. It went both sideways and a little backwards from what I can tell

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I dont think the NHL has a camera directly along the goal line

this puck looks dangerously close to actually going backwards a bit
0:33 of that video shows the puck dip below the arch of the goal crease
then the puck moves back above the arch.

Reactions: McNurse

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Definitely not. :laugh:

But the Wild kind of deserved to lose the shootout after selecting Zuccarello to shoot last. He's a 49% 25-26 shooter in his career. Plus he definitely would have owned the Rangers there. Didn't even have a chance to shoot.

He clearly pulled that puck back on the glove side.

Lousy call, but it's in NY. Go figure.
I don't know what this means lol

Reactions: UnSandvich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad