Is this a legal shootout goal?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It obviously is not a legal goal.

I find it funny how something clearly incorrectly judged is "controversial". Just call it what it is, "travesty" or "tragic failure to ref the game properly".

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Not in the NHL, but I saw old NJ prospect Mattias Tedenby score this goal and thought it shouldn't have been allowed. Not sure if rules are different in the NLA.

That's a crazy goal but I don't see anything against the rules there? He didn't go backwards or anything.

Reactions: egelband

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm with the majority here, I don't like that goal counting. If they allow goals like that, it makes it VERY tough on the goalies.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Questionable for sure but I've seen ones like this count before so it is what it is

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Unless there’s another angle I haven’t seen I don’t see how that can be called a goal

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
The NHL needs to mic up the officials as they discuss the replay. Not only would it be very interesting to hear the analysis but it would make things more clear as to why the decisions are made. Did the refs feel he was skating parallel to the goal line? Was it inconclusive? Just do it NHL.... live a little!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
By the letter of the rule, it shouldn't have been good (from what I've seen)
But frankly, this is a case where the rule SHOULD allow for goals like this one.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Not in the NHL, but I saw old NJ prospect Mattias Tedenby score this goal and thought it shouldn't have been allowed. Not sure if rules are different in the NLA.

The rules are the same in the NLA. The goal was under review and the refs decided that there was no backwards motion and ruled it a good goal.

Reactions: Seiza

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
There was an overhead angle during the broadcast that made this look "less illegal". But the OP's video makes it look full blown illegal. Not a fan of shootouts. I understand why they have them but still don't like them.

I'd like a rule during 3 on 3 whereby once the offence enters the zone bringing the puck out intentionally is a turnover and the opposing team gets the puck. LOL More and more it seems 3 on 3 time is dwindling down as teams kill time to make their line changes.

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
Would have been a nice goal a couple weeks ago at the All Star game, but no I don't think it should have counted :dunno:

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I get and understand why the NHL allows the puck to move slightly backwards while handling and the player is moving forward.

How a player starts moving away from the net/goal line along with the puck counts makes no sense. I really wonder why there is even a rule book at times.

Reactions: Oryxo

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Everyone saying it’s so obvious should see the angle from the front of Panarin. It’s more questionable. When I saw him score it from the back angle I thought there was no way it’d count. From the front angle then I thought 50/50.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
It's tough to call because while the puck and Panarin did move away from the goal, it appeared to still move toward the goal line (which extends from board to board).. or at least moves parallel to the line.. It's a really tough call for me..

Crow

May 19, 2014
For what its worth, Marchasseult did almost the same thing on a penalty shot. So if this counted, i don't see why that shouldn't count:

That shouldn’t count either in my opinion. My opinion means jack shit though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->