Is this a legal shootout goal?

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
How can you maintain "kept in motion towards goal" while stick handling? There's usually a bit of North South movement.

He goes right up to the crease and both he and the puck pull back. Looks illegal to me.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I’d guess they consider that last move of the puck away from the net a part of the shot, he pulls the puck back to shoot. In addition he basically keeps moving in on direction throughout the attempt

that said that’s what you get when you create these situations and special rules blah blah. I also think the NHL doesn’t like to take goals away when they were called on the ice

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
I don't like it, same as I feel that Patrick Kane snail's pace attempts are against the spirit of the shootout. If the effect is to simulate a breakaway, why not have a defender who starts at the far blue line to give chase? Do that, and you stop seeing indulgent nonsense like this.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don’t know how you blow a shoutout call. It’s an isolated event.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Obviously they don't go by the rule exactly as written because so many dekes pull the puck backward or side to side. So, the other option is to go with an interpretation of the rule based in precedent and they seem to be pretty lax about this in past attempts. They seem to just not want people blatantly skating backward.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'd like to see an overhead angle, but I guess there isn't one. It definitely looks like he stops and I don't think it should count at that point.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Immediately felt like it was going to be called back.
Didn't necessarily change the outcome.
FWIW, I felt the interference call against Zibanejad was worse than the refs allowing Panarin's shootout goal.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Seems like he pulls the puck backwards a little too much. It's a grey rule anyway. Just stick handling or dangling inherently involves pulling the puck backwards a little. What's the cutoff between that and not keeping the puck in motion towards the opponent's goal line? Meh, nice goal either way.

Reactions: egelband

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He clearly pulled that puck back on the glove side.

Lousy call, but it's in NY. Go figure.
tin-hat-man.jpg

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Not in the NHL, but I saw old NJ prospect Mattias Tedenby score this goal and thought it shouldn't have been allowed. Not sure if rules are different in the NLA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->