Post-Game Talk: Is there such a thing as a disappointing win?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Wasn't a Picasso but this team bounced back with a solid, disciplined game. Chiasson had a smart, heady game including playing in greasy areas. Nice to see him get traction after a pretty low impact year so far. Tippett's goalie wrangling seems to be pretty stellar with Koskinen rebounding for a solid game after shitting the bed against Ottawa. Oil showed very good resilience resetting their commitment to own zone play and team support - nice to see, not necessarily pretty to watch...

EDIT: Larsson had a very good gritty game. Hard to come back after a tough injury and he's been chasing the game with inconsistency but the big man grinded out a big minute effort in a playoff type game. Still feel we'll see the best of this player in post season play.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
We have been getting dominated every game lately and barely scraping by. It's a miracle we won that game and it was against one of the worst teams in the league. Sigh.

Reactions: Aerchon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wasn't a Picasso but this team bounced back with a solid, disciplined game. Chiasson had a smart, heady game including playing in greasy areas. Nice to see him get traction after a pretty low impact year so far. Tippett's goalie wrangling seems to be pretty stellar with Koskinen rebounding for a solid game after ****ting the bed against Ottawa. Oil showed very good resilience resetting their commitment to own zone play and team support - nice to see, not necessarily pretty to watch...

EDIT: Larsson had a very good gritty game. Hard to come back after a tough injury and he's been chasing the game with inconsistency but the big man grinded out a big minute effort in a playoff type game. Still feel we'll see the best of this player in post season play.

I agree with this except to say that Chiasson needs to shoot the puck more. On one shift alone there were 2 opportunities where he was in the slot and he passed the puck off to the side.
He should be shooting virtually every time he gets the puck in a high danger area...he has a good shot.
Looked like a confidence issue to me.

That aside the Oilers were the better team in the first 2 periods. More and better scoring chances....more puck possession...just not enough shots on net.
Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this win even if the Kings made a push and they did get outplayed in the 3rd.
A win is a win.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No, I watched the entire game. L.A. put up 18 shots in the first period bro. Did you only watch the 2nd?

Well if you watched the whole game then you know that the SOG do not tell the whole story here.
TOP and scoring chances were decidedly in the Oilers favor after 2 periods.

There are no easy games in this League either. Too many people make the mistake of looking at the standings and thinking that some games should be an easy win....and if it isnt an easy win then that means the Oilers arent a very good team.
They are fooling themselves IMO.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
We have been getting dominated every game lately and barely scraping by. It's a miracle we won that game and it was against one of the worst teams in the league. Sigh.
Again we are missing two of our five best forwards, no team is going to see long term success with that happening.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Again we are missing two of our five best forwards, no team is going to see long term success with that happening.

There is that too.

There is a ton of over reaction to this game.

Not just that there is no such thing as an easy win but the Oilers were a bottom feeding team last season and now here we are 3 months into the next season and some peole arent happy unless an injured Oilers team destroys a team below them.
I dont get it..

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
No, I watched the entire game. L.A. put up 18 shots in the first period bro. Did you only watch the 2nd?

LA had 6 shots on their pp and I honestly dont think any of those shots were good scoring chances. The first two periods certainly favored the oilers. The 3rd not so much but that's typically of any nhl game, the trailing team pushes for goals. I would like to see McDavid and co have some killer instinct in these types of games though,

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Nuge and his bruise and his sore arm.... He's on IR so he's disarmed...

Go for it bro!

But we made it this long, you can't disarm a zombie, or this type of army, harm me? Hardly! Use to doing it the hard way, no easy way out, we'll harvest in May, right now, we plant seeds of doubt, find weak links and weed em out, Til the coast is clear, Hall, Omark, Paajarvi, Eberle are gone, but the HOPE is here.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Well if you watched the whole game then you know that the SOG do not tell the whole story here.
TOP and scoring chances were decidedly in the Oilers favor after 2 periods.

There are no easy games in this League either. Too many people make the mistake of looking at the standings and thinking that some games should be an easy win....and if it isnt an easy win then that means the Oilers arent a very good team.
They are fooling themselves IMO.

After 2 periods high danger scoring chances were 7-3 in favor of the kings at 5v5.

Possession was also severely lopsided with the kings at 60.49%.

If you take out the Power plays this was an extremely ugly game for the Oilers.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
After 2 periods high danger scoring chances were 7-3 in favor of the kings at 5v5.

Possession was also severely lopsided with the kings at 60.49%.

If you take out the Power plays this was an extremely ugly game for the Oilers.

I question those stats.
There is no doubt in my mind that the Oilers dominated the first period and I also very much doubt that the 2nd period was in any way lopsided for the Kings.
Thats why the SOG were misleading...the Oilers has multiple high danger chances but passed off the puck instead.
Ultimately pretty doesnt really matter though. Wins matter.

Last edited:

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Pros: Koskinen.

Cons: Turkey Dinner Pizza by Boston Pizza.

How about Lego pizza..
L8efB16.gif

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Not sure he gained center line though, could have been a mistake if he misses.

I never understood this
Who cares if you ice it a hundred times
I'd rather regroup with a chance of winning the faceoff than run around disoriented and chasing the puck.
Espescially when you have a good face off man, in which we have two

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad