Is there another team who’s given up more talent than Ottawa?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I'm aware of the Brassard trade. I hated that trade the day it was made and hate it twice as much today.

Look at the part that I bolded. How many games did he play again?
Lol, I understand your semantic argument.... I responded to it and corrected my post. I used the wrong wording and I changed it. Chill dude.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Lol, I understand your semantic argument.... I responded to it and corrected my post. I used the wrong wording and I changed it. Chill dude.
how will you remember the Ian Cole era in Ottawa?

klKW5o5.jpg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The funny thing is the returns they've got. I think they managed ONE single first round pick when you combine all those trades. (OK maybe 2 if you include Barnstrom)

Not only do they love giving away their best players, they do it for the cheap.

Also you forgot 70 point Mike Hoffman.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Watching these playoffs have been interesting. Seeing so many ex Sens flourish is bittersweet. It sad to not see them in the Sens colour but I’m genuinely happy for guys like Stone and Duchene.

I’m curious to see if any other team in the league has given up that much talent within the span of the last 6-7 years, 13 if you count Chara.

Robin Lehner vezina nominee
Ben Bishop vezina nominee
Zdeno Chara Norris trophy winger
Nick Foligno captain and 2nd liner
Matt Duchene 1st line center
Ryan Dzingel 2nd line winger
Erik Karlsson 2x Norris winner
Marc Stone selke candidate 1st line winger

Others
Jason Spezza
Marc Methot

Oilers gave up Gretzky, Messier, Fuhr, MacTavish, Coffey...

If we're talking recently Leafs swapped several picks for Kessel, Raycroft for Rask.
Habs gave up Subban for Weber, Halak for peanuts.
All teams give up depth at some point.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Chia and Milbury are the obvious frontrunners here

Just to touch on Milbury, here's a selection of guys he traded away:
Luongo (20 y/o), Chara (23), Spezza (18), O. Jokinen (21), Bertuzzi (22), McCabe (22)
for
Yashin (5 years), Linden (1.5 years), Parrish (4.5 years), Kvasha (4.5 years)

Reactions: Islander Class

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Ughh... I used to be able to recite the Isles Milbury list from memory. Something like...

McCabe
Bertuzzi
Redden
Luongo
Brewer
Palffy
Jokinen
Chara
Spezza (by default in Yashin trade)
Connolly
Pyatt
Torres

Plus (for good measure) passed on chance to take Heatley or Gaborik for DiPietro when he already had Luongo...

Reactions: LordNeverLose

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
In just over 8 months, Ottawa gave up the equivalent to a very solid PP1 uni:

Hoffman - Duchene - Stone
Dzingle - Karlsson

No one has even given up more in a single season. Not even close.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Oilers
Habs
Bruins
Flames
Isle

all gave up full Cup contending cores for... ? -
and all five of those teams have done it twice.
Send are making it onto the list but... I think you might be forgetting..

Calgary and Edmonton alone seeded most of the NHL. Think of a team in the 90s and one of that team's top players played in Alberta.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
And yet while those players were all in Ottawa the Sens were considered "playoff hopefuls" at best by the majority of HFboards, and bottom feeders by the rest.

Ottawa players are constantly underrated on this site, and they always seem to have a dramatic uptick in Hfboards value the minute they get traded elsewhere.

Personally, I think the Bruins traded the better players considering the careers that Thornton and Seguin went on to have. And yet it still worked out fantastically for them, which is some food for thought.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
In just over 8 months, Ottawa gave up the equivalent to a very solid PP1 uni:

Hoffman - Duchene - Stone
Dzingle - Karlsson

No one has even given up more in a single season. Not even close.

Definitely not in a single season.

But imo rather than bleeding out a good player or two every year for an extended period of time, what we just witnessed happen with the Sens (order 66), while extremely painful for the fans, it was probably ideal for the rebuild in the long run.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
And yet while those players were all in Ottawa the Sens were considered "playoff hopefuls" at best by the majority of HFboards, and bottom feeders by the rest.

Ottawa players are constantly underrated on this site, and they always seem to have a dramatic uptick in Hfboards value the minute they get traded elsewhere.

Personally, I think the Bruins traded the better players considering the careers that Thornton and Seguin went on to have. And yet it still worked out fantastically for them, which is some food for thought.

I think its worked out for Ottawa, and they will be due for another uptick in the standings.
If not-they always beat the Leafs, and that's all they want.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Only the Hawks can compare in recent years, and that's because of severe cap-crunch from too much winning. The Senators simply imploded from piss poor to-down management over a short timeframe.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Ughh... I used to be able to recite the Isles Milbury list from memory. Something like...

McCabe
Bertuzzi
Redden
Luongo
Brewer
Palffy
Jokinen
Chara
Spezza (by default in Yashin trade)
Connolly
Pyatt
Torres

Plus (for good measure) passed on chance to take Heatley or Gaborik for DiPietro when he already had Luongo...

I came here to post this. The casualty list is legendary during the Milbury days. And all it resulted in were a couple of quick first round exits and a decade of mediocrity. Don’t know how he can show his face or critique anyone on TV.

Reactions: Islander Class

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
The Habs in the 90s were worst than Ottawa at giving away team.

(#)
Pierre Turgeon (32)
Vincent Damphousse (48)
Mark Recchi (12)
John LeClair (153)
Eric Desjardins (43 for dman)
Stephane Richer (152)
Valeri Bure (just 400pts but scored 26, 35 and 27 goals after traded)

and Patrick Roy obv.

Thats the name on top of my head prolly more. 3 players in the top-50 pts of all time. Two great goalscorer Richer is 81th all time in goal, Leclair 94.

Between 1995 and 1999 they f***ed up badly.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Oilers:

Gretzky (GOAT)
Messier (Top 20 player)
Kurri (Top 10 Euro player)
Anderson (HOF)
Coffey (Top 5 defender of all time)
Weight (1000 point player)
Guerin (top line power forward)
Carter (top line forward)
Smyth (top line forward)
Arnott (top line forward, SC winner)
Fuhr (HOF)
Moog (starting goalie)
Satan (top 6 forward)
Whitney (top 6 forward)
Czerkawski (top 6 forward)
Joseph (very good starting goalie)
Hall (top line forward)
Gustafsson (60 points this year)
Dubnyk (starting goalie)
Eberle (top 6 forward)
Pronger (Top 10 defender of all time)

As an Oilers fan, it hurts. I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.

People are taking this very lightly.

You can talk about how it's been over a long period of time, but Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Smith, Lowe and Huddy were all over a few years.

Next time lapse was Corson, Arnott, Whitney, Czerkawski and Satan.

Next time lapse was Weight, Guerin, Joseph

Next time lapse was Pronger and with him a shit ton of UFAs left.

Next time lapse was DUbnyk, Hall and Eberle.

We've consistently gone through periods where the shit hits the fan and so many people leave that we're forced into another rebuild. Nobody has lost what Edmonton has lost and so many times. Anyone who disputes this is essentially downplaying the greatness of the greatest players Edmonton had in the 80's and I don't think that's the intentions of the people commenting in this thread.

We all feel that salt when players we love leave, but I think it's fair to say Edmonton should take that "city of champions" BS and change it to "Salt Capital of The World."

Reactions: Cloned

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Would have been interesting to see what would have occurred with this team over the years with proper sane committed ownership, the chosen path has likely been thoroughly more enjoyable to opposing fans though.

Reactions: topshelf15

Dilderon

Nov 29, 2018
If you want to win a cup, get drafted by the Flyers! You won't win with them but you will with the team you are traded to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad