Is there a worse commentator than Doc Emrick?

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
The only thing I don't like about Doc is how in depth he describes the most simple thing or person.

"And a routine save by number 29, the goalkeeper from the Vegas Golden Knights, Marc-Andre Fleury of Canada, the former Penguin and 1st-Overall pick."

Then Pierre jumps in "I had dinner with his family last night, what a lovely group of people."
After all this time I just had a grand revelation: Pierre is the hockey version of Mister Mxyzptlk.
Mxy_games_begin.jpg

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
I don't mind Doc - don't really listen to many of the games he covers, but he's fine. He can be a bit over the top with the enthusiasm but at least it's not cringe-worthy.

My local boy, Jeanneret, needs to consider stepping down - but he's been THE voice for the Sabres since Ted Darling passed.... and talk about a legend, Ted Darling was one of the best.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
The better question is who takes over for Doc once he retires. The guy is 71 years old.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
If we're lucky it'll be Chris Cuthbert but I doubt it happens. He'll be Canada's #1 guy. But for US broadcast probably Gord Miller.
The problem with CC and Gord Miller is they both work for TSN, so NBC/NBCSN will often run into scheduling conflicts with TSN.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
People shit on Romanuk way, way too much. He's just guilty of getting facts wrong and missing names. I know he sucks because he does it all the time but there are other habits that are so much worse.

Cangialosi/Daneyko is like fire and ice. One gives arguably the most fluid and exciting play by play you'll hear anywhere until he sounds like Dave Mishkin during a big goal. The other is okay at it but still finding his voice as a broadcaster.

Mishkin/Esposito oh dear God. Mishkin is like Cangialosi. Calls the action with wonderful tone, tension and enthusiasm until someone scores. Then he either screams like a child going through puberty or sullenly calls a goal like a doctor telling you that you have cancer. Esposito is good at what he does but takes too long to formulate thoughts (76 years old after all) and he and Mishkin can both be guilty of whining whether it's about officiating or whining about how the Lightning are playing.

Drew Remenda trying to muster a coherent thought gives me the same feeling as when I'm reading with my daughter and she doesn't know a word/words.

Pat Foley is fine until he's with Edzo then they just circle jerk each other and the Hawks to a degree that makes Jack Edwards look like a moderate.

Ken Daniels and what's his name for the Wings go on tangents while the play is happening.

With the exception of Cangialosi (I can get used to him) and Foley (without Edzo) give me Romanuk any day

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
I want someone to make a music video that is just Doc screaming, “OHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!”, and that NBA announcer screaming, “BANG!!!”. The screaming gets very old very fast. The correct balance is between these guys and Joe Buck, although all are terrible.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The problem with CC and Gord Miller is they both work for TSN, so NBC/NBCSN will often run into scheduling conflicts with TSN.

Yeah there's that too. He'd be my pick but that's because he's meat and potatoes about the game, has the perfect amount of excitement and it doesn't cause him to cry out and continue his next words in breathless terms like Doc does and when he decides to break the 4th wall, it'll be something subtle like "A shout out in front! OHH! A miraculous stop! And he holds on. My goodness. Are you holding on?" He has a great charm about him

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
"Justin Williams scores!!!"

Except it was Matt Niskanen.

This is what u get paid to do. ****ing pathetic
Jim Hugheson called Michal Kempny Alex Ovechkin on the 6th goal in game 4 ....not sure how you confuse those 2 even with the almost similar jersey number....lol

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
The better question is who takes over for Doc once he retires. The guy is 71 years old.

Hoping for John Forslund
You know, there likely would need to be a succession plan in place, and you'd think that NBC would have listed those in order.

So by guessing simple logistics how they've covered hockey this year nationally (I'm including Olympics), in order it would have to be:

Emrick
Forslund
Albert
Walton

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
I feel Kenny Albert would be the next in line, considering that he has been upgraded to Conference Final status after being downgraded from the number 2 spot on Fox NFL Sunday. I hope not though. I like him for football but not hockey. I miss Dave Strader.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
People **** on Romanuk way, way too much. He's just guilty of getting facts wrong and missing names. I know he sucks because he does it all the time but there are other habits that are so much worse.
During the 2016-2017 when the Leafs were playing the Coyotes and keep in mind this was a regional broadcast in the Toronto area, Romanuk said he wanted to see Shane Doan score his 400th NHL goal live and in person. It just so happen to come that night, however that's something you don't say you want to see happen when your broadcasting to fans of the other team.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Paul Romanuk is the absolute worst.
That goes without saying. Romanuk seems like a nice guy, but as a broadcaster he's absolute goat-bollocks. I have never heard a more aggravating vocal timbre combined with cringe-worthy phrases and attempts at broadcast "win" that inevitably result in epic fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad