Is there a worse coach than Mike Johnston?

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
Why couldn't this guy by more like Mikey Therrien, now there's a coach who demands respect!. Mike johnston is a biggest ****ing nerd i ever seen, i just wanna rip his terrible toupe off his fat ****ing face. Go back to juniors you loser!

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
He has killed the Penguins.

He has managed to make an offense with Crosby, Malkin and Kessel inept.

The PP is an abomination.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
half the pens defensemen belong in the AHL. your not going to have much offense if your D cant move the puck.

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
The forwards have to carry the puck out of the zone themselves because the defensemen can't do it. That's going to hinder scoring chances.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The forwards have to carry the puck out of the zone themselves because the defensemen can't do it. That's going to hinder scoring chances.

I thought that was the issue originally, but after watching it more in depth, even the lack of mobility from the D isn't to blame. It's 100% systematic issues, MJ is running a system to cover up for the weak D at the expense of scoring.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I thought that was the issue originally, but after watching it more in depth, even the lack of mobility from the D isn't to blame. It's 100% systematic issues, MJ is running a system to cover up for the weak D at the expense of scoring.

meh. last playoffs he got heat for the lack of scoring but i thought his defensive system kept the series closer than it should have been if he opened things up. the pens problems have been created by upper management with very poor personnel decisions. a coach isnt going to make bad players more skilled and better skaters.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Most boring team in the league to watch. They play zero risk offense and the powerplay has no movement, just 4 guys standing around hoping Letang will catch someone on the right side open for a shot.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Did it ever occur to Penguin fans that maybe its not the coaches who are problem?

I mean 3 different coaches and same complaining ,, Maybe just maybe its the reality that Pens aren't as good as you think they are

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Did it ever occur to Penguin fans that maybe its not the coaches who are problem?

I mean 3 different coaches and same complaining ,, Maybe just maybe its the reality that Pens aren't as good as you think they are

Not the same. They were a great scoring team under Bylsma, but continually melted down in the playoffs. Maybe the Penguins aren't good, but this is a new kind of not good.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

We were a good team under Bylsma but failed in the play-offs.

Johnston has ruined the team. At least under Bylsma we played decent hockey for long stretches. He had to go in the end though as he refused to change and it was damaging the club.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

That's another big issue with the team. They've been in win now mode for 7 straight years and been throwing away assets despite not having a chance at the cup. Because of that, they don't have any good young players on cheap contracts.

In those 7 years, all they have to show is Maatta and an always injured Bennett. Imagine the team if they tanked a bit to reload and had atleast 3-4 quality young players on the team. Right now they're praying Pouliot will be ready for top4 duties by the trade deadline.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015

that doesn't even make sense, look at every player on the roster and see for yourself that every single one of them is on pace to have their worst year. I know it might come as a shock to blackhawks fan but you guys wouldn't have one single cup if you didnt have one of the best coaches in the league. They're just as important as good players. look at the rangers, going from tororella to Vignaneult. They've been killing it.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
I almost feel bad for Flyers fans, seems like they hired Johnston v2 in hakstol with how bad their offense looks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
meh. last playoffs he got heat for the lack of scoring but i thought his defensive system kept the series closer than it should have been if he opened things up. the pens problems have been created by upper management with very poor personnel decisions. a coach isnt going to make bad players more skilled and better skaters.

That's true, because the Pens didn't have the offense to try and open things up. Now, they do have that offense to do a run and gun system. Last year in the playoffs, the Pens didn't have a strength: their D was atrocious and their F group was weak. It made sense to run a system that covered the D since we wouldn't be scoring much more if we would have opened it up. We'd score a ton more now if he'd run an open system.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Is there a worse coach than Mike Johnston?

YES.

images

images

Jun 22, 2009
Its an absolute shame that the best player in the world is having his prime years wasted with a monkey coach. Shades of Adam Oates coaching the Caps and wrecking prime years of Ovi.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad