Is there a Trade Market for Fleury and Bishop?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Is there one right now currently, yes. Is it big? No.

Will a market develop over the course of the year? Absolutely.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
How sure are you? Habs have Emelin and he as a MNTC as well. When do they have to list the teams they can't be traded to? I was told you don't have to protect MNTC's but can't find any info for this on the net

ANYONE want to post a link about this?

They can be updated every year on July 1st.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
As a Habs fan... I hate Bishop because he's that dam good playing on a team with a good defense! Why the Sens gave him up is beyond me.

Anderson gets underrated a lot. He was and still is a very strong goaltender for Ottawa and we also had Lehner. Bishop had played well for us, but it was a relatively small sample size, so he was the one to go (for nothing unfortunately).

Just an odd circumstance.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
TB likely keeps Bishop for their playoff run this year.

I can see a team who needs goaltending next year take MAF of Pittsburgh's hands.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They can be updated every year on July 1st.

So the expansion draft is before this coming July 1st (I believe) so all players with M-NTC must of submitted their no trade team lists this past July? The Las Vegas announcement of them coming in the NHL was made June 22nd so here is the real question...Was LV an option for players to put them on the no trade list this past July?

Last edited:

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
If I recall if a player has a NMC they can't be sent to AHL, but players with a NTC can.

I think if a player has a NMC, they can't be waived and sent down, while a player with a NTC (or MNTC) can be waived and sent down. Think of the expansion draft as a league wide waiver wire with only one team able to pick a player off the wire. At least that is the way I understand it, and it makes some sense in the sense of the CBA.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
So the expansion draft is before this coming July 1st (I believe) so all players with M-NTC must of submitted their no trade team lists this past July? The Las Vegas announcement of them coming in the NHL was made June 22nd so heres the real question...Was LV an option for players to put them on the no trade list this past July?

See above, if a player's contract allows him to be put on the waiver wire, he doesn't have a choice on who picks him up, so even a player who has a full NTC but no NMC can be picked up by another team.

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
As a Habs fan... I hate Bishop because he's that dam good playing on a team with a good defense! Why the Sens gave him up is beyond me.

Kind of funny you bring that up. The Bishop-Conacher deal was at the time considered extremely lopsided in the Sens' favour. Posters here were railing on Yzerman saying former players never make good GMs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
See above, if a player's contract allows him to be put on the waiver wire, he doesn't have a choice on who picks him up, so even a player who has a full NTC but no NMC can be picked up by another team.

This makes as much sense to the whole situation that I personally heard so far. I'm thinking you may be right and if you are... that means Fleury is not going anywhere unless the team he's traded to is not on his 18 not trade team list or he waives his NMC. Pens will be affected by this and probably lose Murray to LV unless they trade him before the expansion draft!

Oh I will be watching this situation over the year to see what happens! I'm sure LV will be too!

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
So the expansion draft is before this coming July 1st (I believe) so all players with M-NTC must of submitted their no trade team lists this past July? The Las Vegas announcement of them coming in the NHL was made June 22nd so here is the real question...Was LV an option for players to put them on the no trade list this past July?

I have a feeling the NHL will make an exception for LV. The NHLPA would be pretty upset if they didn't.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The best comparison for Bishop right now is what Ryan Miller got from STL at the trade deadline a few years back. Dallas and TB will have an easier time making the cap work at the deadline. As a UFA, Bishop is easier to move than Fleury because a team that wants him for a playoff run won't have to worry about fitting him in next season.

Fleury's NMC will make him tough to trade with an expansion draft coming up. If a team has a young goalie they want to protect, they can't acquire Fleury. Combine this with his 12 team no trade list, and it gets complicated for Pittsburgh. I could see a scenario where Pittsburgh swaps Fleury with another teams goalie on a similar contract that doesn't have a NMC with the other team giving a small +.

Calgary makes the most sense for Fleury, but would Fleury have put CGY on his NTL on July 1st (that's when they submit them right?). Seems like the logical thing to do since they aren't exactly a hot team to go to, and they are the most likely destination for him.

The only other scenarios I can really think of would be to Carolina (Ward?) , Dallas (either one), or Ottawa (Anderson) for their starter, none of which have NMCs so PITs could protect Murray. Although PIT was apparently asking CGY for the 6th overall pick for Fleury, I can't imagine they'd be able to ask for an add anything close to that considering trading Fleury for a non-NMC goalie at the last minute would be mutually beneficial and avoid them having to pay nearly 3M for their number 2 goalie for the next 3 seasons if they are forced to buyout Fleury (2M buyout penaltyx4 years+1M replacement cost for NHL backup.)

People say that PITs could give a sweetener to Vegas to not take Murray, but what does it take in that case? If you're Vegas and you feel you have PITs backed into a corner where they have to either buyout Fleury or compensate you for not taking Murray, what do you ask for? A 1st round pick? A top prospect like Daniel Sprong?

Maybe I am in the minority, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see PITs trade Murray. If the options are keep Murray, lose Fleury for almost nothing vs keep Fleury, get a top F or D young gun or prospect for Murray, the latter might make more sense. Does Calgary give up a Sam Bennett or a Keith Tkachuk for Murray?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kind of funny you bring that up. The Bishop-Conacher deal was at the time considered extremely lopsided in the Sens' favour. Posters here were railing on Yzerman saying former players never make good GMs.

Well how is it funny? Bishop turned into a top 10 goalie in the league and Conacher is who now? If I was a Sens fan I wouldn't find it funny! However, it's hindsight and you can't predict the future. I just simply posted that I'd keep the larger mobile goalie 9 times out of 10!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have a feeling the NHL will make an exception for LV. The NHLPA would be pretty upset if they didn't.

This is what the NHL website says about No Movement clauses:

"All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)"

I'm not so sure Gary B changes the Expansion Draft rules after it becomes public. I'm sure they reviewed this situation before they announced it. Or did they? haha

I think the Pens will be doing back door dealings to see how they can unload Fleury and keep Murray. Currently they are over the cap by $4.56M and can't stay there for too much longer! Somethings bound to happen here very soon IMO. Murray is practicing so he's back this week or next. Even if they trade Murray, they still have a cap problem this season as Murray only makes $0.628M this season and his $3.75M salary starts next season. I believe Kunitz is going to be included in a package as well but then the Pens still can't take on any salary. It will be interesting! What kind of magic will Rutherford pull off this year! IMO, the Jets are the logical partner as they have $9.8M in cap space and need a young goalie. Murray/Kunitz/1st round pick for Trouba?

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well how is it funny? Bishop turned into a top 10 goalie in the league and Conacher is who now? If I was a Sens fan I wouldn't find it funny! However, it's hindsight and you can't predict the future. I just simply posted that I'd keep the larger mobile goalie 9 times out of 10!

What's funny is that Conacher is playing for the affiliate of TB in Syracuse.

dream43

Nov 19, 2013
I wonder if Yzerman has thought of trading Bishop+Calahan/Filp for like a 7th just to get rid of that cap, but this would require a team to take like 11 mil in salary...
Maybe Bishop+Calahan/Filp for Lehtonen/Neimi retained???:dunno:

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The best comparison for Bishop right now is what Ryan Miller got from STL at the trade deadline a few years back. Dallas and TB will have an easier time making the cap work at the deadline. As a UFA, Bishop is easier to move than Fleury because a team that wants him for a playoff run won't have to worry about fitting him in next season.

Fleury's NMC will make him tough to trade with an expansion draft coming up. If a team has a young goalie they want to protect, they can't acquire Fleury. Combine this with his 12 team no trade list, and it gets complicated for Pittsburgh. I could see a scenario where Pittsburgh swaps Fleury with another teams goalie on a similar contract that doesn't have a NMC with the other team giving a small +.

Calgary makes the most sense for Fleury, but would Fleury have put CGY on his NTL on July 1st (that's when they submit them right?). Seems like the logical thing to do since they aren't exactly a hot team to go to, and they are the most likely destination for him.

The only other scenarios I can really think of would be to Carolina (Ward?) , Dallas (either one), or Ottawa (Anderson) for their starter, none of which have NMCs so PITs could protect Murray. Although PIT was apparently asking CGY for the 6th overall pick for Fleury, I can't imagine they'd be able to ask for an add anything close to that considering trading Fleury for a non-NMC goalie at the last minute would be mutually beneficial and avoid them having to pay nearly 3M for their number 2 goalie for the next 3 seasons if they are forced to buyout Fleury (2M buyout penaltyx4 years+1M replacement cost for NHL backup.)

People say that PITs could give a sweetener to Vegas to not take Murray, but what does it take in that case? If you're Vegas and you feel you have PITs backed into a corner where they have to either buyout Fleury or compensate you for not taking Murray, what do you ask for? A 1st round pick? A top prospect like Daniel Sprong?

Maybe I am in the minority, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see PITs trade Murray. If the options are keep Murray, lose Fleury for almost nothing vs keep Fleury, get a top F or D young gun or prospect for Murray, the latter might make more sense. Does Calgary give up a Sam Bennett or a Keith Tkachuk for Murray?

Calgary is more likely to stick with Elliott and continue to groom Gillies. They're not going to give up top picks for a goalie.

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Leafs should've targeted MAF in the off-season over Andersen.

Proven goalies do well in Toronto(Belfour/CuJo), but the young guys trying to prove they are number one goalies(Toskala/Bernier), not so much.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bishop: walks as a free agent after this season, signs with Vegas for an asinine price
Fleury: traded to Dallas for Niemi after the season is over

I don't think the NHL can do that, if a player didn't decide to put Vegas on his NTC, then he should be fair game to be traded there. Now if the NHL told players that they couldn't put Vegas on their NTC and then added them into the league before they could revise their NTCs, then yeah, that is bull crap.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I wouldnt say there is "nothing wrong" with it but it is an option, for sure.

Letting a guy like that go for nothing is bad asset management at its finest. They gotta get SOMEthing for him. A 2nd and a prospect. Anything. Guys like that should not be let go for nothing.

Under normal circumstances, I might agree with you. But the Bolts are IMO a serious Cup contender, and that is huge. You don't downgrade your team for a 2nd & a prospect. Those assets would likely have about a 30% chance each of having a NHL career.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Bishop's a top 5 goalie, Fleury top 15-20. So I mean one would assume there is a market there because approximately half the teams in the league have a worse starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad