Is there a Trade Market for Fleury and Bishop?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He'd have to waive his NTC/NMC for that to happen. Could it happen? Maybe. Its tough to say.

How sure are you? Habs have Emelin and he as a MNTC as well. When do they have to list the teams they can't be traded to? I was told you don't have to protect MNTC's but can't find any info for this on the net

ANYONE want to post a link about this?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Bud his contract expires this year, we're not going to trade a goalie of Bishop's caliber in a huge cup contention year for low picks and B/C level prospects.

Best bet is to keep Bishop and use up his final year then let him walk, there's no return likely to have more value then Bishop in a playoff run. We have no more room for expansion protection either.

Yeah, I concede on this.

Its just the thought of letting a player of that calibre go for nothing just seems so .. dirty, ya know? but I get what it would need to be done.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
TB desperately needs cap space to resign Johnson, Palat, Boyle, & Drouin. They keep/protect Vasilevskiy and let Bishop go at the end of the year IMO. If they can trade him at trade deadline, they will, but no team will pay a big price. Maybe a 2nd round pick ish depending on how desperate another contending team needs a goalie

Why would they trade him for a 2nd round pick to another contending team in a cup potential year...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Bud his contract expires this year, we're not going to trade a goalie of Bishop's caliber in a huge cup contention year for low picks and B/C level prospects.

Best bet is to keep Bishop and use up his final year then let him walk, there's no return likely to have more value then Bishop in a playoff run. We have no more room for expansion protection either.

Bishop for sure, MAF only for Pittsburgh. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start in the playoffs.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I wouldnt say there is "nothing wrong" with it but it is an option, for sure.

Letting a guy like that go for nothing is bad asset management at its finest. They gotta get SOMEthing for him. A 2nd and a prospect. Anything. Guys like that should not be let go for nothing.

A second and a prospect is what people trade to shore up their team for a rental to go on a cup run. They should just keep him for their last cup run with him. A second and some garbage prospect isn't likely to turn into a player anyways

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
How sure are you? Habs have Emelin and he as a MNTC as well. When do they have to list the teams they can't be traded to? I was told you don't have to protect MNTC's but can't find any info for this on the net

ANYONE want to post a link about this?

Its exactly the opposite. Players with NTC/NMC have to be protected. Or, at least, thats whats been released: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

The list of teams a player with an NTC cant be traded are submitted on July 1st, I believe.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would they trade him for a 2nd round pick to another contending team in a cup potential year...

Personally I wouldn't but if he's traded to the West, what are the chances that you face him in the Stanley cup finals... very slim and you get a 2nd round pick ;)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yep. Dallas needs one. LA might need a short term fix. Calgary might need one after this season. Vancouver will if Markstrom doesn't prove himself a legit #1. Ottawa will soon. There is a market. But goalie markets are typically soft.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah, I concede on this.

Its just the thought of letting a player of that calibre go for nothing just seems so .. dirty, ya know? but I get what it would need to be done.

It does feel wrong, but we ended up doing the same with Stamkos basically until he decided to stay here. That was arguably worse considering what a forward like him could return.

Of course Stamkos had an NMC and so does Bishop this year, so it may be moot.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
As a Habs fan... I hate Bishop because he's that dam good playing on a team with a good defense! Why the Sens gave him up is beyond me.

I honestly didn't think he was that great in Ottawa. Anderson was fantastic that year, and we had Lehner at the time. It made sense to move Bishop at the time.

Would I take him back? absolutely. I think he's a better goalie now than he was then.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Its exactly the opposite. Players with NTC/NMC have to be protected. Or, at least, thats whats been released: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

The list of teams a player with an NTC cant be traded are submitted on July 1st, I believe.

Yes but Fleruy is a modified not trade clause M-NTC, NMC (he lists 18 teams he can't be traded to). How does this work? So you lists the teams on July 1st for the upcoming season and off season? Is LV technically available to list as a team when they are actually introduced next year? Expansion draft is before July 1st I believe too!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I honestly didn't think he was that great in Ottawa. Anderson was fantastic that year, and we had Lehner at the time. It made sense to move Bishop at the time.

Would I take him back? absolutely. I think he's a better goalie now than he was then.

You never trade the bigger goalie that covers more of the net. Habs kept Price and traded Halak.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
It does feel wrong, but we ended up doing the same with Stamkos basically until he decided to stay here. That was arguably worse considering what a forward like him could return.

Of course Stamkos had an NMC and so does Bishop this year, so it may be moot.

I mean I totally get both sides. Gotta say .. its a position Im glad Im not in (Stevie Y's).

Yes but Fleruy is a modified not trade clause M-NTC, NMC (he lists 18 teams he can't be traded to). How does this work? So you lists the teams on July 1st for the upcoming season and off season? Is LV technically available to list as a team when they are actually introduced next year? Expansion draft is before July 1st I believe too!

And thats the big question. We dont know.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And thats the big question. We dont know.

But I demand answers! haha jk :)

The one thing I just noticed is Fleury's contract on CapFriendly is shown like this (M-NTC, NMC) but on the Habs, Emelin's contract is shown like this (M-NTC). Why does Fleury's contract show the extra NMC and and Emelin's don't. What's the difference (if there is any)?

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
But I demand answers! haha jk :)

The one thing I just noticed is Fleury's contract on CapFriendly is shown like this (M-NTC, NMC) but on the Habs, Emelin's contract is shown like this (M-NTC). Why does Fleury's contract show the extra NMC and and Emelin's don't. What's the difference (if there is any)?

If I recall if a player has a NMC they can't be sent to AHL, but players with a NTC can.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
There are few teams for Bishop.

I doubt there's much of an market for Fleury. Some teams would take him but those teams are the bottom feeders that i doubt Fleury would waive his NMC for. Only possibility is LA or Dallas growing tired of Bishop trade talks and baiting on Fleury, but even then i'm not sure Penguins would like the value coming back in that trade.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wouldnt say there is "nothing wrong" with it but it is an option, for sure.

Letting a guy like that go for nothing is bad asset management at its finest. They gotta get SOMEthing for him. A 2nd and a prospect. Anything. Guys like that should not be let go for nothing.

Shot at cup is infinitely better than a 2nd. Av is solid but you need bishop for playoffs

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Maybe Tampa could do something like bishop to Ottawa for Anderson+Lazar or a good prospect. Tampa gets a downgrade in net but still a vet back up for playoffs. And also get a good prospect not letting bishop go for nothing

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
RE: my last post. I agree with insurance but man, letting that go for nothing is just .. ew.

But thats the thing. We dont lose him for nothing. He played out his contract and we got great value from it. He is maybe the best goalie in franchise history and may be able to help this team get its second Stanley Cup for the Lightning. That alone is a good enough reason to keep him here for the duration of his contract. If they do trade him it would be for a lot more than a 2nd round pick. Hes worth a lot to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad