Is there a Trade Market for Fleury and Bishop?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Both Pits and TB have young goalies that appear ready to be a starter but have another veteran goalie they need to move first. Bishop's contract is $5.95M and expires at the end of this year while Fleury's contract is $5.75M and ends after the 2018/2019 season (3 seasons from now including this one). Both teams need the cap space!!

Is there a trade market for these guys and where will they end up? TB can keep Bishop for this year if there are no takers but what will the Pens do now that Murray is signed for 3 years after this year at $3.75M per year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Contending teams without goaltending will always be interested, but goalie returns are typically disappointing.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think there is for Bishop. Dallas is gonna need better than what Lehtonen has done for a few years now. And we all saw the giant turd he dropped in the 1st period of game 7 round 2 last year.

Fleury not so much. He's been solid the last few years but 3 years left (including this one), someone would probably take him for next to free and definitely with some cash retained. He's by no means untradeable, like some of these other sacks of worthless **** that are signed for multiple years remaining at similar cap hits to his. I'm talking Howard, Lehtonen, Smith, Rinne.

There doesn't seem to be a much of a market either.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Is there a market for both? Yes, absolutely.

Is it a big market? Nope.

There are a few teams that may or may not be looking for an upgrade and an expansion team that will be looking to be competitive.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tb wont trade Bish unless a team blows them away. They dont need to trade him and most likely wont. They have a great situation in that they have 2 guys who can start and win games for them. If one goes down they at least have another guy there to take the reigns.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Fourand4

Both Pits and TB have young goalies that appear ready to be a starter but have another veteran goalie they need to move first. Bishop's contract is $5.95M and expires at the end of this year while Fleury's contract is $5.75M and ends after the 2018/2019 season (3 seasons from now including this one). Both teams need the cap space!!

Is there a trade market for these guys and where will they end up? TB can keep Bishop for this year if there are no takers but what will the Pens do now that Murray is signed for 3 years after this year at $3.75M per year.

If TB keeps Bishop Vegas takes Vas or is he protected? Both Tampa and Pitts need to make a move or they lose a goalie for nothing if Vas is unprotected by the rules.
If Dallas is still in the thick of it, which they should be, then I think they go after one.

Last edited:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Tb wont trade Bish unless a team blows them away. They dont need to trade him and most likely wont. They have a great situation in that they have 2 guys who can start and win games for them. If one goes down they at least have another guy there to take the reigns.

The problem is that Bishop is likely gonna get $7 mil on his next contract, long term. Vas is making $3.5mil or so the next 3 years. With all the players they need to sign (Drouin, Nesterov, Palat, Johnson), there is NO WAY they are going to spend upwards of $10mil a year on goaltending, particularly when Vas is playing like a starter already.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Bishop to Dallas.

MAF to Las Vegas in the expansion draft in the summer of 2017.

The cap is the issue with Dallas.

I think they only have something like 9 players (not including goalies) signed for the following season. They have over $10million going to the goalies, both of which are signed next season.

They would have to buyout one as Tampa wont want to take one of them back in a trade. Even if Bish goes there as a free agent, Dallas will still have to buyout one of them.

Bish is gonna want to get $7mil over 6 years on his contract. Thats a pretty limited market for that.

The advantage that MAF has is that is cap hit is less than $6mil for only 2 seasons after this one. Though, his NMC/NTC complicates things.

It'll be tough to find a landing spot for both, no doubt/

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015

Given Bishop's contract status, LA should be clamoring for this guy. He could legitimately save their season. I mean ffs Quick is going to be out for over half the season and Zatkoff is hurt too.

Fleury...eh, I really don't see Fleury being traded mid-season. I believe JR when he says he wants to keep both goaltenders for this season, as we are pushing for another cup win and having Fleury around helps us defend our championship more than any marginal return would. Also, I don't really think there is much of a market for him anyway. Not that he is a contract albatross or anything, I believe he has value, it's just that most teams that need goaltending help around the league need *temporary* goaltending help. Everyone either has decent starters or enticing prospects in goal, except Calgary, Dallas, and Carolina perhaps. I could really see Fleury being traded to Dallas for Lehtonen with a decent + in the offseason, since the Stars would be shedding salary and getting back the better player.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The problem is that Bishop is likely gonna get $7 mil on his next contract, long term. Vas is making $3.5mil or so the next 3 years. With all the players they need to sign (Drouin, Nesterov, Palat, Johnson), there is NO WAY they are going to spend upwards of $10mil a year on goaltending, particularly when Vas is playing like a starter already.

Nothing wrong with letting Bishop walk for nothing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If TB keeps Bishop Vegas takes Vas or is he protected? Both Tampa and Pitts need to make a move or they lose a goalie for nothing if Vas is unprotected by the rules.
If Dallas is still in the thick of it, which they should be, then I think they go after one.

TB desperately needs cap space to resign Johnson, Palat, Boyle, & Drouin. They keep/protect Vasilevskiy and let Bishop go at the end of the year IMO. If they can trade him at trade deadline, they will, but no team will pay a big price. Maybe a 2nd round pick ish depending on how desperate another contending team needs a goalie

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

They just let Bishop walk next year. They have a good chance at a cup this year with both of those guys here. Injuries happen. Good to have that insurance policy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think there is for Bishop. Dallas is gonna need better than what Lehtonen has done for a few years now. And we all saw the giant turd he dropped in the 1st period of game 7 round 2 last year.

Fleury not so much. He's been solid the last few years but 3 years left (including this one), someone would probably take him for next to free and definitely with some cash retained. He's by no means untradeable, like some of these other sacks of worthless **** that are signed for multiple years remaining at similar cap hits to his. I'm talking Howard, Lehtonen, Smith, Rinne.

There doesn't seem to be a much of a market either.

The Pens are crossing their fingers LV selects Fleury in the expansion draft!

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Nothing wrong with letting Bishop walk for nothing.

I wouldnt say there is "nothing wrong" with it but it is an option, for sure.

Letting a guy like that go for nothing is bad asset management at its finest. They gotta get SOMEthing for him. A 2nd and a prospect. Anything. Guys like that should not be let go for nothing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Given Bishop's contract status, LA should be clamoring for this guy. He could legitimately save their season. I mean ffs Quick is going to be out for over half the season and Zatkoff is hurt too.

Fleury...eh, I really don't see Fleury being traded mid-season. I believe JR when he says he wants to keep both goaltenders for this season, as we are pushing for another cup win and having Fleury around helps us defend our championship more than any marginal return would. Also, I don't really think there is much of a market for him anyway. Not that he is a contract albatross or anything, I believe he has value, it's just that most teams that need goaltending help around the league need *temporary* goaltending help. Everyone either has decent starters or enticing prospects in goal, except Calgary, Dallas, and Carolina perhaps. I could really see Fleury being traded to Dallas for Lehtonen with a decent +, since they would be shedding salary and getting back the better player.

I feel for LA... this happen to the Habs last year but worse! Price was expected to come back much sooner and never did. So question... Is LA nothing without Quick? haha ;)

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
They just let Bishop walk next year. They have a good chance at a cup this year with both of those guys here. Injuries happen. Good to have that insurance policy.

RE: my last post. I agree with insurance but man, letting that go for nothing is just .. ew.

The Pens are crossing their fingers LV selects Fleury in the expansion draft!

He'd have to waive his NTC/NMC for that to happen. Could it happen? Maybe. Its tough to say.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Goalies always go for less than you expect. The Lightning are making a cup run. It'd be careless to ship away an insurance policy on that run for only a 2nd rounder or something.

Between the expansion draft issue and Bishop's likely cap number going forward it's pretty certain we're forging ahead with Vasi.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The whole reason we are having this Fleury discussion is because Fleury can't be exposed in the draft due to his NMC

See I'm not 100% sure on that one. Fleury has a MNTC (he lists 18 teams he can't be traded to). I do know NTC must be protected but not sure about modified NTC's.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Bud his contract expires this year, we're not going to trade a goalie of Bishop's caliber in a huge cup contention year for low picks and B/C level prospects.

Best bet is to keep Bishop and use up his final year then let him walk, there's no return likely to have more value then Bishop in a playoff run. We have no more room for expansion protection either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad