Is there a team with a better goalie duo than Tampa?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pittsburgh is pretty damn close with Fleury-Murray. However, I think the Lightning are still the best. I don't know if there is a team close to either of those 2 teams though. I'd say the top-5 are Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, San Jose and St. Louis.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I guess you can make a good case as Bishop is a great starter and was arguably the best this season and Vas looks like he could be a good one as well, but starters are way more important than backups so I always find these threads funny. Would anyone seriously take Anaheim's goaltending over Washington's or New Jersey's? So why would they get listed as a better duo? Who cares if the backup is better

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I guess you can make a good case as Bishop is a great starter and was arguably the best this season and Vas looks like he could be a good one as well, but starters are way more important than backups so I always find these threads funny. Would anyone seriously take Anaheim's goaltending over Washington's or New Jersey's? So why would they get listed as a better duo? Who cares if the backup is better

Because when the starter goes down, you need someone to carry the load.

see, e.g. Montreal

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
The team that's about to beat them has one of the best goalies in the league sitting on the bench.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Because when the starter goes down, you need someone to carry the load.

see, e.g. Montreal

And how often does that happen? You don't considerably downgrade your starter and with it your best odds of winning just so that you're not seriously hampered on the off chance they're injured. Anyone who would take Anaheim's goaltending over Montreal's is seriously misguided.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
This was the best statistical season of his career and he barely made the top 10 in terms of save percentage.

Sorry to break it to you but Vezina voting doesn't work like that. They don't just take the top 10 SP goalies and call it a day.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Sorry to break it to you but Vezina voting doesn't work like that. They don't just take the top 10 SP goalies and call it a day.

I'm aware of that. I'm also aware of the fact that Fleury has a grand total of 2 top 10s in Vezina voting (10-11 and 11-12) in which he was 8th and 7th respectively.

Presumably he'll get another one this year, but if you're trying to argue Fleury is a top goalie, Vezina voting isn't exactly a strong leg to stand on.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I'm aware of that. I'm also aware of the fact that Fleury has a grand total of 2 top 10s in Vezina voting (10-11 and 11-12) in which he was 8th and 7th respectively.

Presumably he'll get another one this year, but if you're trying to argue Fleury is a top goalie, Vezina voting isn't exactly a strong leg to stand on.

Serious question, how many other goalies have 3 top 10 Vezina finishes in the NHL?

How many goalies have 350 wins by 31?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Serious question, how many other goalies have 3 top 10 Vezina finishes in the NHL?

How many goalies have 350 wins by 31?

Serious question, how many teams would actually pick/want MAF as their starter going into the playoffs?

Off the top of my head there's at least 10 goalies better than him:
Schneider
Bishop
Elliot
Quick
Price
Rask
Lundqvist
Holtby
Crawford
Luongo

Ad