Is there a reason Patrick Kane is never named as a top 5 player?

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
The cab thing happened but how can you claim sexual assault when he was cleared on all charges? With everything that came out from that, you think he still did it?

Clearly just repeating stuff he heard or doesn't know about. Evidence that the accuser falsified information as well as having multiple men's DNA in her lady parts with none being his... open and shut.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Most lists/discussions I see have Crosby McDavid and Karlsson as top 3.

Kane and Malkin usually round out the top 5.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Cherry picking a 100 game (+/-) sample size is not fair to Kane IMO. It would like me saying Mathews is not even in the top 100 in goal scoring over the last 3 or 4 years ;)

Cherry picking has nothing to do with it.

Kane has broken 40 goals once in his career - his next highest total being 34. He's a good goal scorer, gotten better in recent years, but i wouldn't have him top 3.

Ovechkin
Stamkos
Crosby
Kucherov
Tarasenko

Then you have guys like Matthews and Laine and maybe a few others.

Yeah - not top 3, and certainly not "has to be top 3" as the other poster implied.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Clearly just repeating stuff he heard or doesn't know about. Evidence that the accuser falsified information as well as having multiple men's DNA in her lady parts with none being his... open and shut.

Situations like this are why I feel there should be harsher penalties for lying about such a brutal thing. People hear the story.....people are told to always believe. Not everyone hears the follow-up. This is a classic case where a guy did absolutely nothing wrong but the action is still held against him because someone is willing to parrot half of a story.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
ok? but other plays do that while maintaining responsible defensive play and playing against top competition. There's a reason why players like Gordie Howe are seen as better than Jagr. I have no idea where your reluctance to admit being a second line winger with offensive deployments should be seen as less impressive than a #1 C who dominates the top competition in the league comes from, but it's a bit pointless

You made it sound like no amount of points would overcome him being a sheltered 2nd line winger. And re you sure he doesn't get the other team's top d-pairing while Toews usually goes against the other team's top line? Of course these matchups are more likely when a team hasx last change.

As I said, when a player is given the role of scoring and is used that way and delivers, that's the most effective way a Top 6 forward can contribute to their team.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Before Mcdavid came along he was generally in the top 5 forwards, especially after his 108 point season.

BTW, Matthews has not done enough to earn a top 5 spot, possibly not top ten.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He was considered the best player in the league in 2016 and regularly considered a top5 winger between 2013-2015.

The fact that he's fairly one-dimensional offensive winger and the reality of his sheltered deployment does factor into considerations of overall value/impact, but he compensated for that and then some in 2016 by breaking 100 points.

Once he reached that tier of production, the awards came.

In all but 2 seasons of his career he's been on pace for and/or reached between 80-90 points, which he's on track for again this season. In 2012 he was way below, in 2016 way above. Both are anomalous and unlikely to ever happen again. 80-90 points is excellent production, and his consistency is incredible, but it's not elite Crosby/Malkin/McDavid/etc production, and Crosby and McDavid do it against the other team's best.

Last edited:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Because he isn't. Great skills but an easier player to handle than some of the others ahead of him on the list. Overall not the skater of some of the others and smaller physically.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Patrick Kane has finished under a ppg a bunch of times. Get your facts straight OP.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He floats around too much.
But where does it show? The eye test? The reality is his CF% is solid, his GF% is solid and he puts up tons of points. If you're excellent defensively but terrible offensively, you might be a decent 4th liner. If you're excellent offensively but terrible defensively, you are a star.

There are dozens of guys who can execute and defend within the system but there are only a few players who can be a threat like Kane with the puck on his stick. And remember, being a winger, he has the least important defensive responsibilities on his line. It's not like he's a C where being bad defensively could be a big deal.

We actually arrive at my argument that being a great offensive player as a C is perhaps not as good as being one as a winger because of the added defensive responsibilities possibly holding you back. How do you think Gaudreau could do his thing as a C, for instance? It's just a relic of outdated thinking.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Matthews has done absolutely nothing to be considered top 5.

In his only season he was out-scored by Leon Draisaitl and Jack Eichel who finished 10 and 11 in PPG.

Guess they're both top 5.
I'm a buffalo fan, but honestly get real matthews scored 40 goals in his rookie season if eichel did that he'd be making noise !

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
He's having an average season by his standards so far but I have a feeling he'll still finish Top-10 in scoring. He's certainly missing Panarin a little right now though.

He's still amazing but guys like Kucherov and Gaudreau are just a little more deserving of being in the discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad