Is there a reason Patrick Kane is never named as a top 5 player?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I really don't think these two things are the reason...

1) His off-ice stories.
2) The Hawks lack of playoff success the last two seasons.

Reason for the 2nd one, is because that's only happened in the last year and a half. I remember 2-3 years ago he STILL wasn't being named in the consensus top five.

Sure it's arguable after Crosby-McDavid with all the other top guns, but a guy as successful as him, and a guy who never finished under a point per game, with all his playoff successs, sick moves and clutch goals, it's truly amazing what he could accomplish if he wasn't hurt a couple times the past few years.

I'm not even a big fan I just don't get how 69 pt Matthews is always named 3-5 along with perhaps Malkin, or Stamkos (Both those names are fine)

Kane's eliminated what four teams in the playoffs, series winning goals, he's even scored a goal to win the Stanley Cup.

If you look at his stats, you might be surprised how consistent he is, and has been...his entire career.

I guess I should probably name a top 5 right now and it's really hard because you see guys having really good years the past two-three years like Scheifle, Gaudreau, Kucherov, Marchand, Wheeler, Kopitar,Tarasenko and it's hard really put a guy there for sure.

But I'll go....

McDavid
Crosby
Stamkos
Malkin
P Kane

Ovechkin, Tavares, Getzlaf, and the young 3 (Matthews, Eichel, Laine) are right around here IMO.

Last edited:

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Wasn't he thought as the best player (probably winger) overall sometimes between 2011-2016?
I remember some talks about that in other places than HF. Then again, I didn't follow too much NHL before the 2014-15 season and then only NSH games so, I cannot be sure about what his consensus was here or anywhere else.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Yeah, that Hart trophy on his mantle says otherwise. Before McDavid and Matthews came along, Kane was regularly in a lot of Top 5 lists.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
From 14/15-16/17, Kane was easily a top 5 player, arguably the best. Imo he was the best player over 15/16 and 16/17 combined.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Matthews has done absolutely nothing to be considered top 5.

In his only season he was out-scored by Leon Draisaitl and Jack Eichel who finished 10 and 11 in PPG.

Guess they're both top 5.
I don't even think Matthews is a top 5 player but to say he's done nothing is laughable. The guy just put up 40 goals as a 19 year old in his rookie year. Not a shock that you'd look at PPG. Hmm wonder why that is?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I don't even think Matthews is a top 5 player but to say he's done nothing is laughable. The guy just put up 40 goals as a 19 year old in his rookie year. Not a shock that you'd look at PPG. Hmm wonder why that is?

Because Point Per Game matters the most when comparing point totals?

You can't compare points between a guy who's season starts in early October and a guy whos started in December. That's why I mentioned PPG. Not like it's some "whatever" stat like plus/minus.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Because Point Per Game matters the most when comparing point totals?

You can't compare points between a guy who's season starts in early October and a guy whos started in December. That's why I mentioned PPG. Not like it's some "whatever" stat like plus/minus.
And yet you make it seem like Matthews' 40 goal rookie year is nothing. Wouldn't trade him for Eichel or Drai. I dont care when their season started, thats not relevant. You put up 30 points in 30 games, great, it doesn't mean you did it over 82. Also hilarious that you bring Eichel into this when the guy is on a worse PPG than last year.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
His age is irrelevant when we are talking about best players right now or last season. I think Matthews is close to top 5 though.

Feb 24, 2017
Wingers definitely get a bad rap... A good example is...if Hossa had been a center. He would have been a top 3 Selke finalist pretty much every year for the last ten years. But he played RW.
I feel like if everyone got old and fat and lazy and just had their instincts and stick skill...Patrick Kane is the best.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I really don't think these two things are the reason...

1) His off-ice stories.
2) The Hawks lack of playoff success the last two seasons.

Reason for the 2nd one, is because that's only happened in the last year and a half. I remember 2-3 years ago he STILL wasn't being named in the consensus top five.

Sure it's arguable after Crosby-McDavid with all the other top guns, but a guy as successful as him, and a guy who never finished under a point per game, with all his playoff successs, sick moves and clutch goals, it's truly amazing what he could accomplish if he wasn't hurt a couple times the past few years.

I'm not even a big fan I just don't get how 69 pt Matthews is always named 3-5 along with perhaps Malkin, or Stamkos (Both those names are fine)

Kane's eliminated what four teams in the playoffs, series winning goals, he's even scored a goal to win the Stanley Cup.

If you look at his stats, you might be surprised how consistent he is, and has been...his entire career.

I guess I should probably name a top 5 right now and it's really hard because you see guys having really good years the past two-three years like Scheifle, Gaudreau, Kucherov, Marchand, Wheeler, Kopitar,Tarasenko and it's hard really put a guy there for sure.

But I'll go....

McDavid
Crosby
Stamkos
Malkin
P Kane

Ovechkin, Tavares, Getzlaf, and the young 3 (Matthews, Eichel, Laine) are right around here IMO.

I assume you're talking about just forwards...? Not all players?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's not a good person, to me, that is also very important.

Assault, sexual assault, xenophobe...real class act.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
His age is irrelevant when we are talking about best players right now or last season. I think Matthews is close to top 5 though.
Well given the context of the coversation its relevant but in the broader picture and the question asked, no it's not. Matthews is not currently a top 5 player.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ehh, I think 3 or four years ago he was widely regarded as #3 behind Crosby and Ovechkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad