GDT: Is There A Game Today? Sharks (5-3-2) at Ducks (5-5-1) Game 11 5:00PM

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Chartier is built like a brick.

Plays like it too. Not something I expected from a guy his height but he is clearly a physically strong player. No clue why he was scratched in favor of Gambrell but let’s hope that’s the last of that.

Somebody else said it in here, but I would have preferred if we put Chartier up with Kane-Pavelski when DeBoer decided to bench LaBanc.

Reactions: SjMilhouse and Phu

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Between Timo, Hertl, and Kane, we have three of probably the top 10 power forwards in the game. Hard guys to play against and built for the playoffs.

Who's better at this point?
Draisatl
Kopitar
Getzlaf
Wheeler
Benn
Anyone else?
In b4 "is Ovi a power forward?" debate

Reactions: Phu

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Some thoughts:

-THAT’S Erik Karlsson.. some of his plays today were just awesome - getting through half the team, roaming, beautiful passes, shot after shot — if this is the way he’s trending, he’s going to break out any game now. Main thing - he looked WAY more comfortable and confident.

-Burns and Karlsson seem to have a real friendship blossoming which is awesome. That set play near the end, them chatting on the bench a lot — I think they can both help each other improve, so it’s great to see.

-Meier is a monster. I remember someone saying when things aren’t working for him he works hard until he figures it out — I think he may have figured out how to score in the NHL. It’s awesome to watch.

-I know Kane is fast and strong with a great shot, but guy has some mitts. Love watching him dangle almost every game.

-What happened to Labanc near the end? Benched?

-Hertl is looking great too. That line, in general, is dominant.

-Really loving our third line too, they make something happen almost every shift. I love Sorenson there but I do think when Joe gets back, I’d like to see Kane fall back to their line... with maybe Sorenson with Joe? Just a thought.

Anyway.. go Sharks!

Reactions: Caesar Rex and Phu

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't really categorize Draisaitl, Kopitar, or Wheeler as power forwards. They're all big but they don't really play the style imo.

Reactions: LA Shark

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Solid game for EK65. Calm under pressure and confident enough to make some nice plays including that huge pass to Couture.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
man, watching the aberg goal annoys me. The guy toe drags into two guys and jones bites so hard.

If jones is gonna be a like a krejci type and just beast in the playoffs no matter what...im good with that. but damn thats hard to watch.

That goal is on Ryan. He played that like someone who never has skated.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
well its mostly on labanc. just like they had a goal after a turnover by kane.

ryan didnt play it well and honestly just needs to take the body there.

That was an NZ turnover. It happens plenty of times every game and there is plenty of blame to put on LaBanc, but you absolutely can not let Pontus f***ing Aberg walk around your team like that. Ryan deserves the most blame for looking like a spinning pylon and Jones deserves some as well.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That was an NZ turnover. It happens plenty of times every game and there is plenty of blame to put on LaBanc, but you absolutely can not let Pontus ****ing Aberg walk around your team like that. Ryan deserves the most blame for looking like a spinning pylon and Jones deserves some as well.
I think Ryan gets a pass just because he is normally a lot better during these situations. Labanc has consistently got beat and turned the puck over. Also, cannot defend Jones either. I don't think there is a single game where he has played well over 60 minutes.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
That was an NZ turnover. It happens plenty of times every game and there is plenty of blame to put on LaBanc, but you absolutely can not let Pontus ****ing Aberg walk around your team like that. Ryan deserves the most blame for looking like a spinning pylon and Jones deserves some as well.

NZ turnovers happen, but mostly they happen with most of your team behind you. its a lack of awareness that bugs me. kane has a similar issue in that hes 100% focused on trying to create offense. But look at who the culprits are. A young, blossoming playmaker in labanc and a guy who came from two teams with 0 structure. the difference being that kane is continuing to affect the game in other ways. while labanc disappears. so im not saying bench either of them, but labanc shouldnt be causing issues like that.

my original post was mostly pointed at jones for biting so hard, anyway. but labanc is showing a trend right now and deservedly got demoted. someone else had said his lack of scoring would be fine if he wasnt coughing up the puck all over the ice.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
He's not going to keep this pace, but this is Timo's breakout year. 30+ goals.

Labanc needs to sit for a game or two. No problem with putting Melker on the 1st line. It was going to be him or Goodrow. Meh. I'm happy Pete left the other two lines intact.

Starting to get worried about Jones. That 2nd goal was just shoddy. Game shouldn't have gotten to OT.

Glad I don't have to counsel patience on Karlsson again. He put on quite the show tonight, on both sides of the puck. I expect we'll be seeing games like that regularly.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Kurz directly stole this from me.

Since December 14, 2017, Meier has played 64 games. In that time frame, he has 26 goals and 16 assists with a +11 rating.

His 26 goals rank 1st on the Sharks and 18th in the NHL, tied with John Tavares.

His 42 points rank 4th on the Sharks and 84th in the NHL, tied with Vladimir Tarasenko.

His 21 even strength goals rank 1st on the Sharks and 8th in the NHL, tied with Alexander Ovechkin.

His 35 even strength points rank 1st on the Sharks and 52nd in the NHL, tied with Nicklas Backstrom.

Glad to know you’re lurking, Kevin. :)

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
I think Ryan gets a pass just because he is normally a lot better during these situations. Labanc has consistently got beat and turned the puck over. Also, cannot defend Jones either. I don't think there is a single game where he has played well over 60 minutes.

Biggest concern for me right now, its basically a given now that we're in for at least one softie per game. Hopefully coaches light a fire under his ass to step it up.
Also why in the hell is melker being put up on the top line... jeeez, I can't think of one thing good melker has done this season, hopefully their trying to showcase him for a trade. He needs to go.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Biggest concern for me right now, its basically a given now that we're in for at least one softie per game. Hopefully coaches light a fire under his ass to step it up.
Also why in the hell is melker being put up on the top line... jeeez, I can't think of one thing good melker has done this season, hopefully their trying to showcase him for a trade. He needs to go.

I think Melker should have been traded this offseason. He has done nothing this season to show that he is worth 2M. Honestly, if we cannot move him next off-season I am 99% certain that we buy him out. We are going to be pressed for cap space with all the pending re-signings and Melker is honestly the most replaceable player on the roster.

The team sitting on a lead and going to sleep accompanied by Jones giving up the soft goals in those situations have made us look like we are struggling closing out team. I am going to be an optimist and say that shit like this wont happen in the playoffs but its aggravating to see us 'struggle' to close teams out after dominating play.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Seriously, it really pisses me off that Kevin Kurz posts here once in a blue moon and always condescends the fans, yet clearly lurks regularly and takes statistics from us and posts them on Twitter.

Indeed. At least he did the work to go on NHL.com to double check it himself and make sure it was accurate. By saying "corrected version", I'm guessing that he did initially just copy the goals, then double checked it to verify, then decided to add Kessel and Aho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad