Post-Game Talk: Is There A Draft After The Pre-Season Too? Leafs Fall To 0-2 In Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leivo looked like a man out there, making plays, being physical and making things happen.

Gauthier probably had the best chances, but didn't hit the net.

Can't wait to see Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev in the same lineup.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Leivo looked like a man out there, making plays, being physical and making things happen.

Gauthier probably had the best chances, but didn't hit the net.

Can't wait to see Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev in the same lineup.
And Polak from the team czeck republic I mean holy hell. Polak might be actually playing with gardiner as the season begins. We truly have a steady lineup then. Polak will hit and make them pay that price. Gardiner keeps the puck and makes plays. Looking real good.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Wasn't paying too close attention to the game tonight... but Holland looked good from what I saw.

I also think that Dermott might be good enough to make the team right now. He's probably better than Carrick and Marincin.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
That's very great to hear.

How was our top 6 dman roman polak tonight? He will play like 20 minutes for us every night.

And Polak from the team czeck republic I mean holy hell. Polak might be actually playing with gardiner as the season begins. We truly have a steady lineup then. Polak will hit and make them pay that price. Gardiner keeps the puck and makes plays. Looking real good.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Didn't catch the game tonight, some people are saying Nylander played poorly and was coasting too much, some people are saying Nylander was making plays all night. Which is it?!

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Didn't catch the game tonight, some people are saying Nylander played poorly and was coasting too much, some people are saying Nylander was making plays all night. Which is it?!

First 2 periods he was coasting. In 3rd he started making plays.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Both. Willy was really good and really fast. In parts he looked like he was playing in a preseason game. He fell and lost the puck during a PP which the Buffalo fans loved but the guy is so skilled and fun to watch none of the negative stuff mattered to me.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nylander plays a cerebral game so the perspective changes from person to person .. He does need to improve his compete but he shouldn't have to entirely change his approach to the game since he's effective at it.

Glad to hear the Goat played well .. He gets way to much flak around here IMO. Wouldn't surprise me to see him anchor the 4th line next season for the Leafs with so many expiring veteran contracts

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Van Reimsdyk Matthews Komarov (JVR-Matthews pairing, add Komarov for jam)
Holland Kadri Nylander (Kadri needs a shooter on his line, has two, had good chemistry tonight on PP)
Michalek Bozak Marner (Bozak plays good give and go, Marner Bozie pairing in camp so far.)
Martin Laich Human (Laich has done well, plays a good defensive role and is a decent shot suppressor)
Leivo

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Carrick
Hunwick Marincin
Corrado

Andersen
Enroth

Holland has played his way onto this team, Babcock loves Hyman because while he probably won't ever really produce, he has a great skill set (big, can skate) and he is relentless on the puck. Michalek should have a bounce back year and has had a good World Cup. Marincin can play RD full time and Hunwick had his best metrics playing third pairing.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Wasn't paying too close attention to the game tonight... but Holland looked good from what I saw.

I also think that Dermott might be good enough to make the team right now. He's probably better than Carrick and Marincin.

I highly doubt that. He had some good efforts in the game though.

If anyone's making the team right now at the bottom-pairing, it's:
Marincin
Hunwick
Polak
Corrado
Carrick

I thought Holl had a great game too. He's just a filler guy but I thought he was our best on D this game.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
LOL - 4 of Buffalo's top 6 and their 1D weren't playing

Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Ennis

Still should have run over our Marlies lineup. If you followed watched any Marlies games last season at all you would realize this basically WAS the Marlies

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I disagree on EVERYTHING you said.

Holland wasn't that good. He made a couple good plays but overall was pretty average at best. I'd expect him to be a little better considering his job is on the line and the lineup we had. Basically it's the same old Holland and that's not very good.

Dermott was definitely not better than Carrick or Marincin last night and isn't better right now. He's got good potential but he needs time because his game last night was pretty chaotic at times.

Last edited:

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Nylander wasn't really making plays but he skated circles around the Sabres and generated some scoring chances. He looked disinterested at times which is why he's so frustrating to watch.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If Holland can play his way into our lineup with one average performance like yesterday's, then our standards are abysmally low.

Babs will end the Holland experiment before the season starts. Anything less sends the wrong message to everyone else who competes on a game by game basis.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
My takeaways from last night:

Strong performers: Leivo, Carrick, Gauthier, Nylander, Sparks.

Middle performers: Kadri, Holland, Marincin, Holl, Kaskisuo, Colin Smith, Dermott, Loov, Hyman, Rychel, Valiev.

Weak performers: Martin, Clune, Leipsic, Lindberg.

Best players from last night for the Leafs were Leivo and Sparks. Both guys clearly want to be in the NHL. Leivo seems to be good (not great) at everything and is finally ready. Sparks battled all night and made a few great saves. Gauthier has terrible hands, but he has time. I won't be surprised if he plays his entire entry level in the AHL, with a few sporadic call-ups to check progress. Carrick is very close to being ready, but he could probably use another year in the AHL. I know he can't, cause waivers, but it would be nice. Should be okay with part-time duties. Nylander was good, but did not play with a finisher, so couldn't make the most of the playmaking abilities. Bylsma was playing match-ups and his lines worked to take out the catalyst on every Leaf line. (Kadri, Nylander, Smith) Leipsic and Lindbergh are not close to NHL ready, the latter has time, the former is running out of it.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Nylander wasn't really making plays but he skated circles around the Sabres and generated some scoring chances. He looked disinterested at times which is why he's so frustrating to watch.

I think he looked lost as a centerman. A season as a winger under Babcock will give him the time to learn the defensive side of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad