Post-Game Talk: Is There A Draft After The Pre-Season Too? Leafs Fall To 0-2 In Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

StatsNightHero

Mar 25, 2014
What was Nylander's boredom/frustration/disinterest there?

He is like that 90% of the game. For a guy who by all accounts is about to be pushed out of his preferred position he didn't look very motivated out there. I know it's only te beginning of the preseason but he isn't a 10 year vet or even a full time NHLer yet. It's obvious he's the most talented player on the ice but he can be frustrating as hell to watch.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I have no idea who that is and I read here often..... No idea. Tryout?

Justin Holl had an AHL contract last season and played the entire season with the Marlies.

This year Lou re-upped him with an NHL contract.
He looked like a PMD tonight, with his scoring chances.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I have no idea who that is and I read here often..... No idea. Tryout?

Really good 24 year old defenseman for the Marlies who got an ELC this year.

Essentially Froese 2.0, but in RHD form.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Only happens if Bibs gets demoted (which he should be if his start is rough)

Well it is still early in the preseason, but that was another impressive game by him. Bibeau did not have a strong game his outing so its not looking good for him.
Another factor is that the lefs gve special K a max elc, not sure if it was max bonuses, but he is the highest paid goalie elc we have. That has to mean the brass wants him in the A versus the E you would think?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He is like that 90% of the game. For a guy who by all accounts is about to be pushed out of his preferred position he didn't look very motivated out there. I know it's only te beginning of the preseason but he isn't a 10 year vet or even a full time NHLer yet. It's obvious he's the most talented player on the ice but he can be frustrating as hell to watch.

Kinda reminds me of Eichel in that way. Super skilled player but the motor isn't always running @ 100%, or it just doesn't look like it is. Though I really hope for Willy's sake they have him with better players than Hyman, and Martin all year.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Interesting game, I didn't find it as painful as most seemed to. This was a good test for a lot of Leaf hopefuls.

++ Kadri
++ Nylander
++ Dermott
+ Gauthier
+ Sparks
+ Kaskisuo

- Hyman
- Holland
- Leivo
- Martin
-- Rychel
-- Valiev

Really liked the way Dermott played and considered him the best performing D, I didn't come into this game expecting that.

Very disappointed in Valiev, expected a lot more.

Holland didn't do anything terrible, but considering how good Naz was playing he should have been able to show more than what he did. For someone who has been in the league as long as he has this was not a good performance.

Both goalies were great, can't ask for more.

Martin didn't show me anything worth having him on the team for, but it is preseason. His style of game will probably shine more in the regular season.

Rychel isn't making the Leafs at this rate.

Was pleasantly surprised by the Goat. I don't think he'll ever score more than 10 points per season in the NHL, but he shows potential to be a solid 4th line shutdown D. Very interested in how he will perform for the Marlies this year.

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I liked Holl's game and wasn't impressed with Valiev's game as much.

I think if it comes down to Carrick or Corrado, Corrado will start.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Justin Holl had an AHL contract last season and played the entire season with the Marlies.

This year Lou re-upped him with an NHL contract.
He looked like a PMD tonight, with his scoring chances.

Holl looked decent in this game. One of the few skaters who impressed.

Kaskisuo and Sparks were competent in net.

As for the forwards all I can say is thank god for Matthews and Marner.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Wow no finish what so ever. Also, Holland is terrible, can't stand that guy

What is the problem with Holland? He had some good opportunities. Considering nobody was good on our team besides the goalie, he was not among the worst.

Honestly, Hyman looked terrible tonight for me. Took terrible penalties, looked totally lost, made a bunch of terrible errors (offsides, etc.). I don't think he made a case for himself to be in the NHL with that game. Nylander also did not have a great game. Gave the puck away a lot.

StatsNightHero

Mar 25, 2014
Kinda reminds me of Eichel in that way. Super skilled player but the motor isn't always running @ 100%, or it just doesn't look like it is. Though I really hope for Willy's sake they have him with better players than Hyman, and Martin all year.

I like the Eichel comparison. They both have more than enough speed to be an absolute nightmare for opposing puck carriers but can't be bothered to hustle to what are basically 50/50 loose pucks. Even if he doesn't beat the guy to it he can atleast rush a pass or deflect it away. Instead he just glides into a very passive defensive position and let's them pick up the puck and breakout.

With it being his first game of the year (and a game which means very little) I know it seems like I'm over reacting but it's the same "glide" he has had since his draft year and shows little signs of disappearing.

Edit: Playing with Martin definitely didn't help, I like Nylander and Leivo together much more.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
willy looks great.

leivo looks great.

kadri looks great.

even Goat looks good.

sweet all around.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I didn't watch too closely tonight but it looked like another slow start and rather lackadaisical effort. There was a bit of a talent disparity, but you'd think that like against Ottawa, the youth fighting for the jobs would be hungrier than the vets just going through the paces. Guess not. It's two games, so no need for worry. It would, however, be nice to have Babcock back from the gimmick tournament already. On the plus side, Sparks and Kaskikuo looked solid... Bibeau's got to up his game!

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
JVR Matthews Nylander
Komarov Bozak _______
Martin Kadri _________
Michalek Laich Hyman
_______ ________

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hunwick
Marincin Polak
Carrick

Andersen
Enroth

Wonder who the last 4 spots going to...

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
JVR Matthews Nylander
Komarov Bozak _______
Martin Kadri _________
Michalek Laich Hyman
_______ ________

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hunwick
Marincin Polak
Carrick

Andersen
Enroth

Marner, Brown, Soshnikov, Greening.

StatsNightHero

Mar 25, 2014
JVR Matthews Nylander
Komarov Bozak _______
Martin Kadri _________
Michalek Laich Hyman
_______ ________

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hunwick
Marincin Polak
Carrick

Andersen
Enroth

Keep Martin on that 4th line, Kadri needs wingers who can shoot, skate and pass. I like the idea of a Komarov-Kadri-Nylander line- some vets, grit, talent and two guys with a motor to influence Nylander to up his pace.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Marincin - player of the game
Carrick - runner up
Gauthier
Kadri
Nylander
Holl
Sparks
Kask

all played well

Lindberg not so much tonight - at least 6 passes straight to the other team - it's early.

Fun game to watch despite the scorelessness.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
JVR Matthews Nylander
Komarov Bozak _______
Martin Kadri _________
Michalek Laich Hyman
_______ ________

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hunwick
Marincin Polak
Carrick

Andersen
Enroth

Subtract Hyman (at this time), bump Martin down a line.

Add Marner.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Subtract Hyman (at this time), bump Martin down a line.

Add Marner.

I posted this elsewhere:

Michalek-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Holland-Matthews-Nylander
Greening-Laich-Martin
Leivo

And then when Bozak is eventually traded because Matthews moves up, Nylander moves to center and Brown takes his spot on the RW. If Holland is traded, Greening is the 3LW and then another young guy can take a 4th line winger spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad