Is there a Car in your garage?

What's in your garage?

• Total voters

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
My house has little room for storage so unfortunately no room for cars in the garage, it's full of junk. We've hardly used one of our vehicles since COVID so I am thinking about cleaning out the garage this weekend and moving the van in for now. It's not heated but at least it'll get it out of the snow.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
My garage has one car, a 2014 Honda CRV. My truck stays outside... We just recently built a 24'x24 detached with a 8' cantilever but im already discovering I wish I built larger. My truck would take up any space for projects, with how much space our outdoor rec. equipment takes up. Its just too tight. I now finally understand why my father had 2 garages, and 5 sheds.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Love the OP's question because it's half and half in our neighborhood and always puzzled me. My car is in the one stall garage and my wifes is outside (Subie Outback--they live outside). A good deal of our neighbors though use theirs for storage/workspace. i mean a guy built a nice new two car garage a couple years ago with room in the back to store his boat and now both their cars and the boat are in the driveway. I don't get it. We were considering expanding the house and the garage before this COVID thing hit but then we'd want to redo the siding and maybe build a pool off the back of the porch and it's all too much $ with things being...Uncertain.
Any realtors out there know approx how much a second space would add in value? I think adding a bedroom increases a home value by 5% or something. Just curious.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Love the OP's question because it's half and half in our neighborhood and always puzzled me. My car is in the one stall garage and my wifes is outside (Subie Outback--they live outside). A good deal of our neighbors though use theirs for storage/workspace. i mean a guy built a nice new two car garage a couple years ago with room in the back to store his boat and now both their cars and the boat are in the driveway. I don't get it. We were considering expanding the house and the garage before this COVID thing hit but then we'd want to redo the siding and maybe build a pool off the back of the porch and it's all too much $ with things being...Uncertain.
Any realtors out there know approx how much a second space would add in value? I think adding a bedroom increases a home value by 5% or something. Just curious.
I think it gets down to how many people have it ingrained that you only have a car for 3-4 years before getting a new one. That's another mentality I don't agree with myself either.

The cars I've owned, first one I had for 3 days (was rear ended by a senile 86yro man who confused the gas for the brake). 2nd one I had for 3 years, got it at 120k miles, drove it to 181k miles. Next one I had a serious lemon, only had it for a year and a half, it was going to bankrupt me if I didn't bail on it. That's when things changed... next car I had for 7 years, followed by a car that I had for 11 years. Now I have 2 cars, one I've had for 10 years as of this coming March 17th along with another coming up on 5 years this summer.

I like to take care of my cars for a long time. Take care of them, they take care of you. Never parked in the driveway, always in the garage.

If you think you're only going to have your car for a short while, you may not see the value in longer term care.

Reactions: rynryn

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I think it gets down to how many people have it ingrained that you only have a car for 3-4 years before getting a new one. That's another mentality I don't agree with myself either.

The cars I've owned, first one I had for 3 days (was rear ended by a senile 86yro man who confused the gas for the brake). 2nd one I had for 3 years, got it at 120k miles, drove it to 181k miles. Next one I had a serious lemon, only had it for a year and a half, it was going to bankrupt me if I didn't bail on it. That's when things changed... next car I had for 7 years, followed by a car that I had for 11 years. Now I have 2 cars, one I've had for 10 years as of this coming March 17th along with another coming up on 5 years this summer.

I like to take care of my cars for a long time. Take care of them, they take care of you. Never parked in the driveway, always in the garage.

If you think you're only going to have your car for a short while, you may not see the value in longer term care.

Ha, well even if you don't care about the long term health of your car you'd think in a climate like MN it'd be worth keeping the garage open when the alternative is having to deal with a frozen snow/frost covered car every morning.

Reactions: TaLoN
Sep 19, 2008
With recent inclement weather I find putting the car in the garage (used to live in a condo complex with outdoor lots) is much better. I can't count how many times I came outside ready to go to work and there was a thin sheet of ice on the f***ing car which I had to scrape off, adds like 5 or 10 minutes to my commute. I just want to hop in and go.

Now I don't need de-icers or crap like that or brushing snow off my car, it just stays indoors

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Any realtors out there know approx how much a second space would add in value? I think adding a bedroom increases a home value by 5% or something. Just curious.
Lots of factors go into the value formula for additions or expansions to residential properties. Garage space is much more coveted in colder climates, where overnight parking may be essential to getting to work the next day. With a one-car garage already part of your property, the expansion to two parking spaces is unlikely to add significant resale value to your property unless a specific buyer craves the covered space for a special vehicle or for a work/hobby space. Listing a home with "garage" in the property description will raise the perceived value, no matter whether it has space for one or two (or more) vehicles. So as with most other home improvement decisions, expanding a garage space brings much greater value to the current owner than it will to increase resale value.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I know almost nobody who actually keeps 2 cars in their 2 car garage. Neighbors, friends, family. Almost everyone has at least half their garage occupied by something else. I will say one reason for this though is 2 car garages around here are systemically undersized for 2 actual vehicles that aren't tiny sedans.

Love the OP's question because it's half and half in our neighborhood and always puzzled me. My car is in the one stall garage and my wifes is outside (Subie Outback--they live outside). A good deal of our neighbors though use theirs for storage/workspace. i mean a guy built a nice new two car garage a couple years ago with room in the back to store his boat and now both their cars and the boat are in the driveway.

I think if you figure you drive it around and have to park it outside half the day while at work and such, what's another 10 hours or so?
Weather is a factor though.

Never parked in the driveway, always in the garage.

Other than being a little rougher on the paint and interior, this doesn't make much difference in warm climates.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
At the moment my garage is unfortunately empty, but soon I want to be filled with a brand new Volvo, which I want to buy and bring from another state. I studied a lot of information about transportation from this site https://transportgator.com/auto-transport-companies/ and was very surprised that I am not very strong in logistics, for myself I learned a lot of new and useful things there.

i was a big XC90 guy but I can’t get behind them only having a 2 liter. Same goes for the S90, which I’m still considering in my quest for a full size sedan. Again though, 2 liters isn’t all that appetizing to me, and to make it worthwhile it would have to be the T6, which then I worry about reliability with both a turbo and supercharger.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
My garage is full of bicycles, lawn equipment, old baby stuff and Subaru parts. I don't think I've ever had a car inside it in the 7-8 years we've lived here. Somebody I'm either going to build a shed for all the other stuff or put up one of those canopy things in the back for the cars.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This isn't really a topic about cars per se but do you actually keep your car in a garage or is your garage filled with junk ? :laugh:

Currently in my residential garages, I got 2 trucks, 1 side by side, one tractor. I have a 36 x24 detached triple garage (but it can fit 4 cars, tight but she fits) and a 20x20 double attached garage, 5+ bays in total. Summer cars are stored at a warehouse in the winter.

Junk is meant for the garbage cans, I keep my garages pretty tidy.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
No garage but based on my wife's comments about people and filling their up with anything but a car, we'd have how ever many would fit in there.

Then you have my neighbour who put one in his yard.
It's not connected to the driveway and there is a fence in between.
Just his man cave/motorcycle storage.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Now, I can say there is a car in my garage, because as of last week, my mom sent me her 2005 Z4. I am paying her back for the car hauler, and will take care of the registration, plates, insurance. But otherwise, I'll be getting a BMW for ~$2000. FWIW, shipping a car across country isn't that unreasonable, ~$1500 for 1900 miles (metro Detroit to Missoula).

IMG_9878_cr.jpg

I need two cars like a hole in the head, but I do have some place to store it (they don't have a garage), registration in Montana is cheap (cars over 11 years old can get a one time permanent tag), and my parents can have a car to tool around the mountains when they come out to visit.

Unfortunately, I haven't driven it, other than to park it, as the MI plates are expired, and I'll have to wait a couple weeks before I can get the title transferred, and temporary registration here. And joys of living in a state with front plates, so no matter what I do, a plate on the front will stick out like a sore thumb.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Now, I can say there is a car in my garage, because as of last week, my mom sent me her 2005 Z4. I am paying her back for the car hauler, and will take care of the registration, plates, insurance. But otherwise, I'll be getting a BMW for ~$2000. FWIW, shipping a car across country isn't that unreasonable, ~$1500 for 1900 miles (metro Detroit to Missoula).

View attachment 424276

I need two cars like a hole in the head, but I do have some place to store it (they don't have a garage), registration in Montana is cheap (cars over 11 years old can get a one time permanent tag), and my parents can have a car to tool around the mountains when they come out to visit.

Unfortunately, I haven't driven it, other than to park it, as the MI plates are expired, and I'll have to wait a couple weeks before I can get the title transferred, and temporary registration here. And joys of living in a state with front plates, so no matter what I do, a plate on the front will stick out like a sore thumb.
I live in a state that requires front plates too.

Yet, I've had my GT500 now for 10 years, never once put on the front plate. I was pulled over a couple times the first year owning it, cops even mentioned it those couple times, but they admitted they mostly pulled me over to get a closer look at the car. :laugh:

Got a warning each time. Never pulled over for it since.

I think they understand that vehicles like that, really shouldn't need that garish ugly plate on the front.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I have a garage and a half. My wife parks her Nissan Qashqai or however ya spell it. I can still get a fair amount of stuff in for storage, but we just sold the house so we’re looking for a house with a two car garage and a big shed so we can just park cars inside

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
BMW gets the garage, my daily driver Buick in the background. Small garage but it's a small car lol

Attachments

• IMG_4119.JPG
    IMG_4119.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 7

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

View attachment 424276

Holy shit really? I need to check out some Montana real estate.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Things in my garage:

five bicycles
two lawnmowers
a weedeater
two go-karts
a rolling tool box
giant baby stroller
a Subaru engine
a doghouse
some junk that was supposed to be thrown out months ago
some junk that was supposed to go to my mother-in-law's house months ago
shingles
lumber
fishing gear

nope, no room for a car in here

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
A two-car garage with one car in it. If within my abilities I fix it/ modify it myself so there needs to be some space around it and lots of tools to be able to do that.
Another good chunk of space is taken up by homebrewing equipment.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
A guy whose house is 3 blocks away from me in our subdivision had a car in his garage up until last week. Luckily he was able to get it out before his house burned down. :(

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
A two-car garage with one car in it. If within my abilities I fix it/ modify it myself so there needs to be some space around it and lots of tools to be able to do that.
Another good chunk of space is taken up by homebrewing equipment.
I hope "homebrewing" means beer, not meth. If the latter, you might not have that garage much longer. :shakehead

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I have 1 right now in my garage. Would be two, but my truck doesn't fit.

Next house both our vehicles will be in the garage full time

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
my 3 car garage has 2 cars my grocery getter and my vert. i've thought about moving to florida but i'd lose my basement and 3 car garages are extremely rare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad