Speculation: Is there a better fit for Krug than Winnipeg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Right because Detroit always going to be the worst in the league, That's a pretty ignorant statement. Detroit has tons of talent coming up plus we could be in line to draft Alexis Lafreniere if the NHL decides to go back to the old draft format for the draft this year. Krug would definitely consider coming home he's always dreamed of playing for them plus the Blashill connection plus money talks Detroit can easily out spend anyone for his services if money is what he's seeking.
From an objective view point Detroit has less upside than almost any other team in the league aside from it being his hometown.

He is already 29 and this will be his last big contract. Detroit isn't a destination city like the florida teams, California teams, NY, or boston. Detroit has the lotteries chance to luck into some elite talent, but almost every other team in the league already has that caliber of talent currently on the roster. Regardless even if Detroit does get Lafreniere (statistics say they won't) the Wings are a lot more than a high-end 18 year old winger prospect away from being a good team.

And I never said they were always going to be the worst in the league, and we both know it. So stop playing dumb and extraploating what you want to read so you can call me ignornant. I said word for word that Detroit was "worst the NHL has seen in decades". Tell me where that says "Detroit is always going to be the worst team in the league"? Oh wait you can't. Color me shocked.

I have no dog in this fight. The team I root for won't be in the running to sign Krug. I'm unbiasedly saying that a player who has never won a stanley cup before doesn't usually jump ship from the league's top team to a bottom dweller, especially when he is starting to get older.
It could happen, just historical prescedent says it isn't as likely as youre making it out to be.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
There's no certainty, other than that Detroit should be highly motivated to sign him.

You make it sound like we're pulling the classic Toronto, "Of course he wants to come back here."
haha that is the classic Toronto.

I think Detroit would be smart to try and sign him, he'd be a good fit. I just think he'll want a lot of money to leave the very good situation he is currently in at Boston or any other cup contender that can free some money to sign a 50-60 point defensemen.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
There are plenty of reasons to be positive about Detroit's future, and I think Krug could definitely envisage himself being part of that team if he does want to go home.

Mantha ------ Larkin ------ Lafreniere/Stutzle
Bertuzzi ----- Veleno ------ Zadina
Fabbri ----- Rasmussen --- Svenchnikov

Krug ---------- Seider
Cholowski ---- Hronek
McIsaac ------- RHD

Detroit will certainly pick up either a 1st line winger or 1C (Byfield) to knock Larkin down to 2C.

Either way they've got assembled a solid cast in the last few drafts, and that trend should continue in 2020 with a high 1st and 3 2nd round picks.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
haha that is the classic Toronto.

I think Detroit would be smart to try and sign him, he'd be a good fit. I just think he'll want a lot of money to leave the very good situation he is currently in at Boston or any other cup contender that can free some money to sign a 50-60 point defensemen.

If Detroit doesn't make an offer toward him it'll tell you a lot about Yzerman's plans next season.

That said, adding four top 10 picks, Krug, and DeKeyser would go a long way to change a team.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Krug isn't signing with Montreal. All the NHL insiders said that all Candadian teams were on his no trade list. Reportedly Krug doesn't want to play in Canada like most Americans.

sorry like “most” Americans? Was there a poll? Because many Americans have chosen to sign In Canada. Both as UFA and extensions

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
sorry like “most” Americans? Was there a poll? Because many Americans have chosen to sign In Canada. Both as UFA and extensions
Shattenkirk had no desire to play in Canada, And Kyle Palmieri wouldn't waive to go there as he has no desire to play in Canada and the same was said with Krug Yeah some American would rather play for American teams then Canadian teams.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
OP made a mistake, Krug plays left side, not right side.

Jets D core devastated over the last few seasons? Really? It happened last season/summer not last few.

Pionk was a amazing and assuming they sign DeMelo the Jets right side is more then fine.

Ironically OP mistake was calling for Krug to fix the Jets right which doesn't need help its fine......but Krug could help fix the Jets left side which is weak. After Josh M on the left side is rookies or bottom pairing guys.

If I was Chevy I would consider kicking the tires on Krug to see what he's looking for contract wise. If Krug wants too much or resigns in Bostom there is other options out there which would also be a good fit and likely available to help fix the "left side". Jets have plenty of cap to add a significant piece on LHD or 2C (in addition to DeMelo on RHD) not likely both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whileee

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Shattenkirk had no desire to play in Canada, And Kyle Palmieri wouldn't waive to go there as he has no desire to play in Canada and the same was said with Krug Yeah some American would rather play for American teams then Canadian teams.

Ok? How is that “most”? That’s 3? I can name more Americans who signed with just Toronto in the last few years.

kinda dumb......

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Habs fans may be able to correct me, but it seems like giving Krug $8M or more would be really counter-productive.

They're building for the future. Weber and Price are still doing pretty well, but in their mid to late 30s, their contracts are gonna be pretty difficult to move. $27M is a lot to spend on 3 guys who'll be in their mid to late 30s, with young talent coming up who'll need to be paid.

Doesn't hurt them now, but it seems like it might in the future.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So obviously nothing is ever cut and dry and there might be things like family or whatever that changes things.. However I think there is a mutual fit here that I struggle to find elsewhere in the league.

Team:

- Decimated Dcore over the past few seasons, looking to improve there badly
- Need a RD puck moving guy who can play on the PP. Buff was there but is now gone. Same with Trouba.
- Need for RD in general.
- Buckets of cap space due to the Buff thing.

Player:

- Likely wants to go to a team that can contend. I doubt there is a team as good as Boston who can afford a guy like Krug. If the player can be convinced there is a cup contending team there, but they see him as the missing piece, I think it makes sense.

- Adding onto that, he see's a team who went deep recently, has one of the top forward groups in the league, a goalie coming off a Vezina quality season with clout, and a good vet leadership group. All the pieces are there to go on a run if the defense can be improved.

- He gets the best of both worlds. Joins a team he believes will be in the playoffs each season and can go deep, while also being able to cash in and get paid his money.

Obviously assuming he leaves the Bruins as is speculated due to the cap.

isnt this more of a VALUE of thread then speculation

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I think he means average performance for $10M and not making it past the second round in his life. That Carey Price.
He's made it past the 2nd round twice. Once as a backup in 2010 and once as a starter in 2014.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Montreal would be a great spot for him, he's exactly what we need a puck moving LD for our 1st pair

Yeah Montreal needs another smurf lmao. Not only will they have a small soft forward group but they will be undersized on D. Krug is a terrible fit in Montreal unless they get rid of half of team (whole team is small)

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Krug doesn't fit for what we want to do, he's not a Chevy-type signing. We'd like someone like that for 2 years or so, but he would obviously want a longer contract. Morrissey-Samberg-Heinola is one hell of a LHD punch that will be low cost for a long time. We could use a top-pairing RHD, and I can see us giving up assets to get a good one, but 2C is probably a better target if we're trading. DeMelo-Pionk-Hamonic would do just fine and would cost any assets to give up.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yeah Montreal needs another smurf lmao. Not only will they have a small soft forward group but they will be undersized on D. Krug is a terrible fit in Montreal unless they get rid of half of team (whole team is small)

Replace Mete with Krug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad