Is The Team Tuning Out Bylsma? Thoughts?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm not going to even bother commenting on the quotes because people who are on "my side" of the equation will see them how I see them and people on "the other side" of the equation will say that those quotes are totally normal and nothing out of the ordinary was said.

Presented without extra comment, this was the most interesting quote, in my opinion:

The "when it works" part in particular.

You can't discount the Bylsma quote though. It's proof to people that don't believe the fact that young players are held to a nebulous set of standards apart from the veterans. So basically if a young player doesn't play the way the coaching staff feels he should play, then he's demoted. It has nothing to do with your skill set, and everything to do with how they view you as an NHL player on their team. Which may or may not be the correct view being they are humans and all, and as much as some people don't want to believe, are in fact fallible.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
All of that is pretty well known.
Hynes and WBS trying to break down Joe Morrow's game and build it back up pretty much ruined a year of his development imo.

I remember Iginla meeting Neal on an In The Room episode last year and Iggy mentioned how different the systems were.

I can tell you one thing, it's all friggin' crap, is what it is. Atleast the way DB deploys it.

Fire DB, bring in Hynes to see if he can do it better. If that don't work, bring in a whole new staff.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not going to even bother commenting on the quotes because people who are on "my side" of the equation will see them how I see them and people on "the other side" of the equation will say that those quotes are totally normal and nothing out of the ordinary was said.

Presented without extra comment, this was the most interesting quote, in my opinion:

Yeah this is how I feel about it as well. I mean, if our system is that damn hard, and it doesn't appear to be anymore successful than a conventional system, maybe we should, I don't know, CHANGE IT.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The "when it works" part in particular.

You can't discount the Bylsma quote though. It's proof to people that don't believe the fact that young players are held to a nebulous set of standards apart from the veterans. So basically if a young player doesn't play the way the coaching staff feels he should play, then he's demoted. It has nothing to do with your skill set, and everything to do with how they view you as an NHL player on their team. Which may or may not be the correct view being they are humans and all, and as much as some people don't want to believe, are in fact fallible.

trust me, I'm not discounting it. I just thought that that was the one quote where I'm saying "Bylsma's just confirming what I thought."

And someone else on this board would just say, "That Bylsma quote is totally normal. The Penguins are a deep, CUP CONTENDING TEAM! they don't have time for young players who don't have assets, they will get in the way of winning games."

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
trust me, I'm not discounting it. I just thought that that was the one quote where I'm saying "Bylsma's just confirming what I thought."

And someone else on this board would just say, "That Bylsma quote is totally normal. The Penguins are a deep, CUP CONTENDING TEAM! they don't have time for young players who don't have assets, they will get in the way of winning games."

I guess. Its all pretty damning. Maybe his system isn't actually complex, he just makes it confusing so people think it is so they think he's smart.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i almost spit out my drink when i read this quote from lovejoy.

Pittsburgh has obviously been incredibly successful playing the style they play, and when it works, it's so pretty, so good. It's a complex style.

lol, its never a good thing when someone calls your team/system "pretty."

also its worth noting that lovejoy is the consummate professional/team player. i've met him a few times up at dartmouth at his hockey frat house. super nice guy on and off the ice.

he would never say anything damning about his previous organization. for him to even say anything slightly negative about the pens, you have to think his true feeling about the organization are much more derogatory.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I remember reading something around the playoffs, maybe around then, about how the system is so complex that the players spend a lot of time thinking instead of reacting, and that it can get confusing.

It's ridiculous.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
People are really overlooking the glaring contradiction. If the players are tuning bylsma out they should be playing better not worse.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Unless this team is in danger of missing the playoffs I don't see Blysma getting fired in season. UNLESS, crosby and malkin both tune him out completely. Nothing gets a coach fired faster (other then ownership change) then the super star players tuning the coach out completely (see Ovechkin). We'll have to wait to see how things shake out in the playoffs. SCF appearence he's sticking around, anything short of that (maybe a ECF with a strong showing is enough) and Blysma is gone this summer.

I don't think Crosby is that sort of player, but you gotta think that if Crosby got to the point where it came up in dinner conversation with Mario and Mario thought Blysma had lost Crosby/Malkin completely Blysma would be fired quickly.

People point at the 2 year extension as something of endorsement. I look at a 2 year extension as the bare minimum extension you give a coach. They brought him back and you can't have him as a lame duck coach so you have to give him an extension, a 1 year one would be as bad as not giving an extension.

If ownership was thrilled with him / playoff results, his extension would've been more like 4-5 years.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I never understood why you cant have a lame duck coach. Just lay out it out there, everyone including the coach knows its the truth. Listen you have one more year to turn it around.....

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I never understood why you cant have a lame duck coach. Just lay out it out there, everyone including the coach knows its the truth. Listen you have one more year to turn it around.....

I agree. You hear it all the time, people saying: "you simply cannot have a lame-duck coach." Why the hell not? If they tune him out, does that mean they would NOT have done so had you re-signed him for 2-3 more years? Or maybe it was time to tune him out?

The thing about this system that needs to change is the attitude that faster is always better. It's simply not the case. Personally, I believe Crosby would be better if he didn't always play a warp speed. Sometimes, he should just take the puck and slow things down, and let the game come to him. Of course, this would require Crosby actually having the puck! It seems that one of the main issues with Line 1 is the inability to get Sid the puck early on. Watch the game tonight. Watch how Kunitz and Dupuis seem to receive the puck before Crosby does when they get possession. That's a problem, right there.

Speed isn't everything in this game. Admittedly, Jaromir Jagr isn't very fast these days. And yet, he pretty much owned us Saturday night. Because, you know, talent wins out in the end. Slow the game down for our two superstars to be able to do the same.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010

because apparently the players all told management that they love Blysma. Shero also went to bat to keep him around.

So if you make him a lame duck that's management's way of saying fine we'll keep him but don't believe in him. It undermines his authority.

The thing is that an extension is just paper, coaches are fired before the end of their contracts all the time. It's just a symbolic gesture as to not undermine his authority.

When Therrien was booted it was evident that he had lost his star players. They said the right things publicly but you know more was probably said behind closed doors. Especially when your super star is staying the owner of the team's house.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site

I remember when Pat Quinn was in charge of the Leafs, that's exactly how he operated as both a coach and GM. Always playing veterans over young players and dealing young players/picks for veterans that provided a marginal upgrade. It won them nothing and they're just now recovering from operating that way.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
All of that is pretty well known.
Hynes and WBS trying to break down Joe Morrow's game and build it back up pretty much ruined a year of his development imo.

I remember Iginla meeting Neal on an In The Room episode last year and Iggy mentioned how different the systems were.

I can tell you one thing, it's all friggin' crap, is what it is. Atleast the way DB deploys it.

Fire DB, bring in Hynes to see if he can do it better. If that don't work, bring in a whole new staff.

No, no, no please god no. I'd honestly rather stick with Bylsma and hope that we're all complete morons and that people that are "in the game" simply know way more than us fans do. No way in hell I want someone from the inside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad