Is The Team Tuning Out Bylsma? Thoughts?

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
No, it was done after 24/7 which painted Bylsma in a beautiful light while simultaneously painting Boudreau as a fat slob.

Players around the league love Bylsma and many wouldn't mind playing for him because Bylsma won't push you like other coaches would. There lies the problem to go along with Stubborn "we are going to win my way" and "Coach's Pet" difficulties.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Players around the league love Bylsma and many wouldn't mind playing for him because Bylsma won't push you like other coaches would. There lies the problem to go along with Stubborn "we are going to win my way" and "Coach's Pet" difficulties.

i would be interested in seeing an updated poll

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Bylsma's reputation is virtually untouchable in the media. Even up here in Canada, most view him as a 'great' coach. Hell, even here in Quebec...usually a guy who replaces a local guy who has a name that's hard to pronounce is not seen in a good light...but not Bylsma. Even though most people up here were skeptical about replacing Therrien with Bylsma, he quickly earned his reputation. Obviously, winning the Cup right away was the worst thing that could have happened with regards to Bylsma's misleading reputation. But yeah, 24/7 cemented everybody's opinion of him, and it's still pretty much intact around the league.

Basically, Dan Bylsma is a great politician who hides his obvious flaws very well and knows exactly what to say and when to say it to stay in power.

CorpseLW

Jan 7, 2009
Western PA
Bylsma's reputation is virtually untouchable in the media. Even up here in Canada, most view him as a 'great' coach. Hell, even here in Quebec...usually a guy who replaces a local guy who has a name that's hard to pronounce is not seen in a good light...but not Bylsma. Even though most people up here were skeptical about replacing Therrien with Bylsma, he quickly earned his reputation. Obviously, winning the Cup right away was the worst thing that could have happened with regards to Bylsma's misleading reputation. But yeah, 24/7 cemented everybody's opinion of him, and it's still pretty much intact around the league.

Basically, Dan Bylsma is a great politician who hides his obvious flaws very well and knows exactly what to say and when to say it to stay in power.

+10. Bylsma is akin to a bunch of American salesman: not very intelligent but able to convey a sense of positivity which came from their younger days listening to some dumbass "good attitude" role model or 80s motivational speakers on cassette tape.

been waiting 3 years for this guy to be thrown out. It's taken me longer to decide on the Shero, but re-signing Letang for big money is certainly tipping the scale.

Mario, how soon can you fire both of them?

Last edited:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
The NHL powers that be and Lemieux don't want the people to talking about this, but those in the know sometimes whisper that Bylsma uses more illicit means of persuasion to consolidate his power. Word is he admires Stalin and Kim Jong-Il more than any figure in the hockey world.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The NHL powers that be and Lemieux don't want the people to talking about this, but those in the know sometimes whisper that Bylsma uses more illicit means of persuasion to consolidate his power. Word is he admires Stalin and Kim Jong-Il more than any figure in the hockey world.

Here's my question for you - when people post negative things about the team, you get more passive-aggressive than a teenage girl. When I post a positive thing about the team - liking Botterill based on things I've read and heard about him, you again get passive-aggressive about it.

Actually, there's no question. Just my observation of you.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Here's my question for you - when people post negative things about the team, you get more passive-aggressive than a teenage girl. When I post a positive thing about the team - liking Botterill based on things I've read and heard about him, you again get passive-aggressive about it.

Actually, there's no question. Just my observation of you.

You're completely misreading me. Passive, sure, but thinking there's even the faintest component of aggression in a routine post of mine is...weird.

And I never said anything about you liking Botterill. I commented on my perception of a general uptick in opinions about him being related to a particular event (which may or may not be right), but I didn't mean to discount that knowledgeable people (including you!) would have Botterill related thoughts. I'm sorry for not preemptively massaging your ego. You've got quite the martyr complex.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You're completely misreading me. Passive, sure, but thinking there's even the faintest component of aggression in a routine post of mine is...weird.

And I never said anything about you liking Botterill. I commented on my perception of a general uptick in opinions about him being related to a particular event (which may or may not be right), but I didn't mean to discount that knowledgeable people (including you!) would have Botterill related thoughts. I'm sorry for not preemptively massaging your ego. You've got quite the martyr complex.

:laugh:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I came back edit it and say that there are non-routine posts that are clearly aggressive. Remember when I called you toxic? I think you just need to reacquaint yourself with the concept of passive aggression.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I came back edit it and say that there are non-routine posts that are clearly aggressive. Remember when I called you toxic? I think you just need to reacquaint yourself with the concept of passive aggression.

to be fair, while I do remember that post, I basically ignored it. I just assumed that calling me toxic was a really poorly-executed joke.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Not everyone. There are still some beautiful, pure souls. But most of us, absolutely. That doesn't mean we're irredeemably bad people who don't have anything valuable to contribute.

I'm not offended by being called toxic. You don't have to let my martyred soul down gently. I don't take anything other than BLIND DEFENSE OF BYLSMA personally.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Hmmm, Reirden might be a good option for firing seeing as how he is the PP guy of record. Also, Granato is part of the Team USA gnarl, so he's probably not going anywhere.

Maybe put J. Martin in charge of the defense and hire Lavi as a consultant to work with the PP and teach HCDB about line matching and the judicious use of time outs?

I realize it's a band-aid approach, but it might send a very small message. Reirden is Bylsma's guy, and however they sugar-coat it Shero is the one with the ties to J. Martin.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
People have prepositioned Laviolette before and I'm 50/50 on whether I'd want it.

Impossible now, but I would have loved to see this roster with Carlyle (in the 2nd year. The first year would have been messy)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Agree with this. Same kind of attitude going on in Edmonton. When Smid was traded to Calgary he said the first practice with the Flames was the hardest he had had all season. DB doesn't have the do whatever it takes to win attitude needed. He's way to relaxed and thinks Crosby and Malkin will win just because of talent.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
People have prepositioned Laviolette before and I'm 50/50 on whether I'd want it.

Oh, I don't want Lavi as the head coach. And I've been swayed by a couple of posters who a more familiar with J. Martin that he's probably not a good option, either. But, I think either would be fine in an assistant capacity, and could be an interim solution if they ever do fire Bylsma.

Another possibility would be to fire Reirden and move Granato to one of those nominal, give-the-guy-a-job positions within the organization. Turn over the defense and PK to J. Martin and put Lavi in charge of the forwards and PP.

Still a band-aid approach, but it seems pretty unlikely Bylsma is getting fired anytime soon. And who knows, it might work.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I would say there's a 100 percent chance the next coach would be Jacques Martin. I can't imagine a scenario where Hynes leapfrogs a coach with as many NHL wins under his belt as Martin.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I would say there's a 100 percent chance the next coach would be Jacques Martin. I can't imagine a scenario where Hynes leapfrogs a coach with as many NHL wins under his belt as Martin.

Indeed.

Though at least Hynes by all accounts runs a pretty tight ship and is known for practices getting pretty tough when they need to be. And of course his track record would suggest he works well with young players.

I think he was asked about possibly going to the NHL at some point by JB last year, and it seemed like he's pretty content with his current role atm, or at least he was a year ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad