Jhonas Enroth
Jonas Gustavsson
Devan Dubnyk
Michal Neuvirth
Andrew Hammond
Ray Emery
Thomas Greiss
Antti Niemi

Ideally we'd use a 2nd or pittsburgh's first to find a proven goalie (although I'd rather keep the pick for defensive help, or just use it if nothing enticing is available). I'd also love to snag a goalie from Anaheim or Tampa, whether its Gibson, Vasilevskiy, F. Andersen, or Bishop, but I don't know how likely either team is to deal a goalie just yet. Other good options would be Craig Anderson or Bernier.

However, I'd also be ok with trying to sign Ramo or Neuvirth, and maybe going after Antti Raanta if you could get him for a pick or 2 outside of the first 2 rounds. I know we've done this before with Fasth and Scrivens, but imo all 3 of those goalies look much better than Scrivens who's always looked like a bit of a scrambling mess, and Fasth just seems to be rather inconsistent.

Also really hope we can sign O'connor. Would create a good situation in Bakersfield with Brossoit and him competing, and would greatly increase the odds that we have a starting goalie for the future.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Our D Line is so poor were not going to make the playoffs until that gets fixed McDavid or not. Next year I doubt we will make the playoffs and I doubt McDavid will crack the 30 goal mark and all the Oilers haters will be screaming that the Oilers have ruined McDavid. The truth is in the NHL today you can't win without good defence and offence. Once we get a good defence core will be set everything else will just be tweaking small areas.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
IMO next year the goal should be to aim for 85-90 points, ideally closer to 90. They were pro-rated to be about an 80 point team under Nelson, and that's with Hall out for a big chunk of that and no McDavid and Petry also not there for a large chunk of that period. So this should be achievable.

Following year up to 100+ points and a playoff berth

Year after that, being a legit Cup contender and making trades to go for it.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Please, tell me you're joking.

As good as our forwards were in the 80's they still had some decent d-men behind them.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
We need someone who can protect these kids and play hockey.. Prust type player, 2 top 4 D man that have veteran present, and a Proven number 1 goalie. Till then we aren't going no where.

Eirhead*

I'm really excited because McDavid is going to be a guy who makes everyone around him better. And when you got 3 other first overall forwards who he can make better, what's the potential there??? Maybe a year to 3 years before we see the full impact, but exciting times in Edmonton for sure :D

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The team isn't even close to a playoff team let alone a cup contender.

But. I think as soon as we get rid of Lowe and Mac T we will officially be finished the rebuild.

Yes we have holes. Yes we are not competitive yet but by the end of this draft we will have all the assets required to be successful moving forward.

It's now just a matter of putting it all together, filling those holes, even with stop gags, and out working other teams.

We have the talent, we have the prospects, we have trade bait, we should even have enough street cred to land a FA or two.

As soon as Mac T and Lowe are gone the rebuild is over IMO.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
winston_churchill.jpg

"Now is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I feel our rebuild is over - we have all of our core pieces in place. But we still need to re-tool and add 2 solid Dmen and a starting goalie. Not an easy task, but is doable - NYI added two top pairing Dmen in a relatively short period of time, without selling any core pieces.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
UFA Market this offseason.

Souray
Beauchemin
Meszaros
Regehr
Ballard
Gonchar
Petry
Volchenkov
Franson
Salvador
Visnovsky
Martin
Ehrhoff
Jackman
Brewer
Gleason
Green

well you can take Souray and Visnovsky off your list. they'll never be coming here.
and I thought Regher retired.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
My thoughts:

UFA Market this offseason.

Souray - No - is he even playing still?
Beauchemin Yes with short term
Meszaros No
Regehr Retired
Ballard Yes with short term
Gonchar No
Petry Yes - would be willing to do longer term with decent cap hit
Volchenkov No
Franson No
Salvador No
Visnovsky No
Martin Yes with short term
Ehrhoff Yes with short term
Jackman No
Brewer Yes with short term
Gleason No
Green Yes - would be willing to do longer tme with decent cap hit

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Even if literally all they do this summer is sign UFA Christian Erhoff (or someone of that tier) and Kari Ramo (ie: low end signings) .... that should still be about an 85 point team.

Pouliot RNH Eberle
Hall McDavid Yakupov
Roy Lander Purcell
Hendricks Gordon Klink

Erhoff Fayne
Ference Nikitin
Klefbom Schultz

Ramo
Scrivens

Coach: McLellan, Babcock, or Nelson

Is still a notable upgrade on last season's roster.

that defense is still awful with Nikitin in the top 4

Erhoff is a good piece but injury prone but if we get him, we need Sekera or Green as well

Erhoff-Green
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-Schultz

Talbot
Scrivens

buy out Nikitin

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If Nikitin doesn't show up in beast mode at training camp, he better be buried. We can bring in one guy without having to give up on prospects. Sounds like MacT is still committed to Schultz which leaves Marincin leaving in a trade if we move for that 1-2 defenseman. We could waive Nikitin and clear him everytime. We would have to trade for someone decent before free agency to get someone decent at free agency though. bringing in one of matt O'Conner or todd McLennan wouldn't be a bad start either... not that I really want McLennan, Nelson already has the respect of everyone in our lineup and everyone knows how to play for him. But Ference has 2 more years on contract, Fayne has 3. A quite a few top 4 defensemen available through free agency this july.

Marincin and maybe one of 2nd rounders need to be moved for a more experienced top 4 D-man. I like Marincin and all, but he's a 2nd pairing guy if he hits his potential and we need someone who is that already. Then sign Ehrohoff and this defence is not nearly as bad as this year.

Ehrhoff-Klefbom
X-Fayne
Schulz-Nikitin/Ference
Nurse to start in the AHL.

The year after Nkitin's contract comes off the books and Ference could be No.7 d-man.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Uhhh that Nikitin signing is so enraging. Thank god he has 1 year left....

He better be playing 5/6 minutes next year and also sitting in the press box if they are serious about winning hockey games.

Way OT - When I log in the entire site is just stripped down. Very annoying. I have to click to expand peoples replies. The color is all gone. It's just a white site with blue links.

I just stay logged out so it looks normal unless I am typing something....

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Without trading anyone or any drafts picks would you be happy to get

Goalie- Ramo or Niemi
LD- Sekera
RD- Petry
Vet Forward- Glenncross or Soderberg

Then Draft -
1. McDavid 1C
16. Jeremy Roy RD or Klyington LD
33. Meloche RD
60. Ilya Samsonov G

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
It would be kind of hilarious if McDavid meant Petry's return.

maybe MacT is actually a genius and got some picks for Petry and he gets a chance for a cup run all while he was really coming back during UFA, kinda like Moulson in Buffalo:laugh:

Spartan117

Oct 13, 2007
Parts Unknown
No. The easy part is done. Drafting highly touted players didn't require much work cause the draft rankings guides GM's into knowing who to pick.

The hard work is yet to come, finding a supporting cast that will compliment your world class players. Guys with chemistry who can keep up with the studs, who are also available and won't take up too much of the cap. Making sure the right role players have good personalities and won't be a distraction or cancer in the locker room but can still be effective and contribute. That's the hard part of the rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad