Speculation: Is the current core ready to become a perennial playoff team?

Which category do you project them to be as early as next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
The team needs deconstructing and the way it has been setup this will be very difficult.

If you could wave a magic wand and sign EP40 long term, remove Myers and OEL from the roster, and cancel the two traded 1st rounders and use those picks to fill the void that is our prospect pool, sure.

Hughes, Pettersson and Demko are very good parts of a core.

We need way more.
Yeah, I agree that would be better. But without a magic wand I think there is still a path to making a contender from this position with that core. It’s just a lot tougher to do. I think the defence needs a makeover because I think if Myers and Schenn are the two top righties the Canucks will not be a contender. If they can fix that and get a very good 3c that will go a long way.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
We have the pieces in key positions to build around but the core as we have it today is not a perennial playoff team. Not even close. There needs to be changes. We as fans should stop pretending this team is close. We are far from it.
Close to what? Being a true contender or to the playoffs? I agree that they’re nowhere near being a true contender (top 5 in the league) but they are definitely close to the playoffs.

They missed by a couple points this year with a very flawed roster that can be improved around the edges to at least snag a wildcard place for the next few years. Demko in his prime and the offensive fire power gives them a chance every game. It’s their permissiveness when it comes to high-danger chances and their transition game that limits their ceiling the most.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Close to what? Being a true contender or to the playoffs? I agree that they’re nowhere near being a true contender (top 5 in the league) but they are definitely close to the playoffs.

They missed by a couple points this year with a very flawed roster that can be improved around the edges to at least snag a wildcard place for the next few years. Demko in his prime and the offensive fire power gives them a chance every game. It’s their permissiveness when it comes to high-danger chances and their transition game that limits their ceiling the most.

The question was perennial playoff team. This team can't even make the playoffs and you believe they are close to being perennial? Good luck with that.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
The question was perennial playoff team. This team can't even make the playoffs and you believe they are close to being perennial? Good luck with that.
Perennially in the 4-10th place in the West range for 4-5 years with some better depth around this core and some changes to the defence? Yeah, I definitely think so. I don’t think that’s a particularly high bar tho.

It’s not what I want but in that scenario that’s what I think the outcome could well be. I’d prefer they do some bigger surgery by trading Miller and and maybe a couple others.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
One area we need to be much better at is identifying cheap talent, and developing it. Not just through drafting, but free agents as well. Toronto got 121 points out of Bunting, Mikheyev, and Kampf for 4mthis year, and Mikheyev only played 53 games. Thats similar to the production we got from Boeser, Horvat, and Pearson this year with much less pp time. Look at the value Florida got from Verhaege and Forsling, or NYI got with Mayfield. Hell in 2020 we got with Virtanen, Gaudette and Leivo even if there production was unsustainable. Benning didn't think like that though. He just threw more money at players he thought were better like going fromBonino to Sutter, or signing Holtby, or going after OEL. Not realizing the cheap depth and superstars on ELCs canceled out all his crap contracts.The thinking that expensive=better when filling out the roster needs to die if we want to be a constant playoff team.

Reactions: racerjoe

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This team went as the Sedins went and now this team will go as Petey and Quinn goes.

- Both definitely want to be as well as deserve to be part of the McDavid/Drai and Matthews/Marner conversation.

- Both are sick and tired of being losers and wasting precious time.

- Petey wants to get PAID.

Our next coach will have zero problems motivating the players because Petey is gonna do it on the ice like he did shortly after the morons got shitcanned.

EP40 and QH43 aside, serious perennial playoff conternders don't have a Tyler Myers in their top 4.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
What core? What year?
Two or three players do not make a core.

Cannot count guys in their 30's for future gains. Good for support but rarely driving the team.

Two years of bottom feeding is needed. Good 1rst round picks are needed not dart board stuff.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Almost every core in the NHL is a playoff team if you surround them with the right support cast. I know OP had good intentions for discussion here, but I don’t think this question really means much.

Reactions: me2

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This team went as the Sedins went and now this team will go as Petey and Quinn goes.

- Both definitely want to be as well as deserve to be part of the McDavid/Drai and Matthews/Marner conversation.

- Both are sick and tired of being losers and wasting precious time.

- Petey wants to get PAID.

Our next coach will have zero problems motivating the players because Petey is gonna do it on the ice like he did shortly after the morons got shitcanned.

EP40 and QH43 aside, serious perennial playoff conternders don't have a Tyler Myers in their top 4.
EP credits Boudreau with helping him get his game back on track..Both players enjoy playing for this coach.

You don’t know if the next coach will have zero problem motivating these guys ..That’s not a given…(they’re going to be peeved if Boudreau doesn’t come back)

The next coach is going to have pretty big shoes to fill..as Boudreau was coaching the Canucks close to around a .650 clip.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
we weren’t even a top ten team under boudreau with the best five on five goaltending in the league

but bruce there it is

(i absolutely want bruce to come back for another season)

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
EP credits Boudreau with helping him get his game back on track..Both players enjoy playing for this coach.

You don’t know if the next coach will have zero problem motivating these guys ..That’s not a given…(they’re going to be peeved if Boudreau doesn’t come back)

The next coach is going to have pretty big shoes to fill..as Boudreau was coaching the Canucks close to around a .650 clip.

You might be suprised how the players respond to change when there is actual leadership with credentials running the front office.

Reactions: mathonwy

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You might be suprised how the players respond to change when there is actual leadership with credentials running the front office.
I think you might be surprised by the players reaction if Boudreau signs with another team.

I like 99% of what Rutherford is saying, and agree with it...but not on his comments regarding Boudreau in his presser.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think you might be surprised by the players reaction if Boudreau signs with another team.

I like 99% of what Rutherford is saying, and agree with it...but not on his comments regarding Boudreau in his presser.
Why should he go full Benning and give him a retirement contract before coaching a full season.

• Wow
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why should he go full Benning and give him a retirement contract before coaching a full season.
I think that he's demonstrated that he deserves it. .This isnt Travis Green we're talking about, its a veteran coach that has coached over 1000 NHL games with .635 winning %

599 Wins.....317 Losses....125..OTL
I thought he deserved better ..obviously, you disagree.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
With Pettersson Horvat Boeser Podkolzin Garland Hughes Demko and a good supporting cast we can be a perennial playoff team but our most talented scorers are so perimeter and are gonna get destroyed and injured without 2 or 3 more core players that can handle the heavy lifting. The really unfortunate part is OEL and Miller are unlikely to be those players for very long and the assets required to get the players they need will erode the ability to add blue chips on ELCs if they get impatient.

Won't be easy but it never is.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think that he's demonstrated that he deserves it. .This isnt Travis Green we're talking about, its a veteran coach that has coached over 1000 NHL games with .635 winning %

599 Wins.....317 Losses....125..OTL
I thought he deserved better ..obviously, you disagree.
He agreed to last year plus an option. Shouldn't be an issue if he believes in himself.

I like Bruce a lot but the new regime needs to reset this franchise from being a retirement community with absurd contracts for people that have done little for this franchise.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He agreed to last year plus an option. Shouldn't be an issue if he believes in himself.

I like Bruce a lot but the new regime needs to reset this franchise from being a retirement community with absurd contracts for people that have done little for this franchise.
I don’t disagree about not giving out retirement contracts (even when we should have signed Tanev to one)..but this coach should have been given an extension..There was more than enough of a sample size to warrant it.

Hopefully it’s not an issue and we see him back next year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t disagree about not giving out retirement contracts (even when we should have signed Tanev to one)..but this coach should have been given an extension..There was more than enough of a sample size to warrant it.

If Bruce does move on will the coach JR hires get only a one year deal? Doubtful, right? He will very likely get three years. So why not offer two more to keep Bruce, unless JR is actually trying to force Bruce out?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If Bruce does move on will the coach JR hires get only a one year deal? Doubtful, right? He will very likely get three years. So why not offer two more to keep Bruce, unless JR is actually trying to force Bruce out?
We could speculate a ton of things that JR might do If Boudreau moves on..What we know for certain is that it won’t go over well with the fans ..or the players (the core players in particular who have endorsed him)

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
We pissed away our picks on players like Miller and Garland. These are 2 assets that could change the face of the franchise if we trade them.
Convenient of you to leave out OEL and his albatross contract, Baertschi, Vey, Pedan, Pouliot, Larsen, Prust, etc. But keep pushing a nonsensical argument.

Reactions: Fatass and racerjoe

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Convenient of you to leave out OEL and his albatross contract, Baertschi, Vey, Pedan, Pouliot, Larsen, Prust, etc. But keep pushing a nonsensical argument.
Can you elaborate? Miller could bring in a big piece if he is traded, don’t you think? Same as Garland with near 50 points 5v5. OEL would br harder to trade given his contract, so I didn’t mention him. But I guess that depends on how you view that trade. I posit that the 1st rounder was for garland. But even oel is tradeable imo. He is a great d man that showed he can produce (when Hughes was out). We would have to eat a bit of salary, but not as much as everybody thinks imo.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Can you elaborate? Miller could bring in a big piece if he is traded, don’t you think? Same as Garland with near 50 points 5v5. OEL would br harder to trade given his contract, so I didn’t mention him. But I guess that depends on how you view that trade. I posit that the 1st rounder was for garland. But even oel is tradeable imo. He is a great d man that showed he can produce (when Hughes was out). We would have to eat a bit of salary, but not as much as everybody thinks imo.

You have a pattern of pushing a certain agenda on here. You know what would change the face of this franchise? The 9th overall pick used to select Guenther along with over $12 million in cap space.

Reactions: Fatass

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

The difference is Tanev bled for this orgaization. He gave his body and best years getting mashed playing for a crap team. I would have easily gave Tanev a similar deal to what he got but the issue was we had gone and signed Myers to a absurd retirement contract when he had done nothing here previously.

Hughes emerged needing big dollars (which is great) but we couldn't afford 2 33/34 yr olds eating huge cap on our D not to mention all the other mess but then Jimbo did it again paying huge to acquire yet another one in OEL so here we are needing to reset the retirement community and shed the repeating carousel of stupidity that agents/players have been cashing in on.

Bruce's situation is casualty of a new regime saying enough is enough. It shouldn't be an issue and Bruce should understand the optics that need to happen he's been around. If he's just looking to cash in then it will be unfortunate but at least we know that they are not just giving lip service. I'll take that trade off

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00