Is Tampa for real or just a matter of a weak division?

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
First time checking the boards today and i learned that the atlantic is weak, Tampa isn't for real and the oilers can beat them in 6 games... oh boy :laugh:

What we can confirm with this thread is that in some places (or households):

s-l300.jpg

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Atlantic is the strongest division in hockey. Suck it haters

Yea better be ahead of the rest of the pack in the other division or no playoffs for you. Arguably has 3 best teams in the nhl at the top. No way you are getting in one of those 3 spots. If I had to bet money on the division taking home the cup it would be the Atlantic.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Its a benefit to have such a soft divisional schedule.

People are underestimating how bad the division because of how much Tampa is running away with it and how much attention the Leafs get.

Tampa = Great
Boston = Good
Toronto = talented and super soft
Montreal = bad
Buffalo = bad
Florida = bad
Detroit = bad
Ottawa = bad

Tampa Bay has one divisional rival.

Montreal has won 51% of their games, and 54% of their games outside their division. So no.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Tampa has won 77% of their games overall, and 74% outside their division.

The next best team in terms of winning percentage is Calgary, which has won 62% of their games overall, and 64% outside of their division (also second best to Tampa).

So it's possible that playing in a division with Buf/Det/Ott has inflated Tampa's win total a bit. But even adjusting for that, they are still dominating the league and head-and-shoulders above anyone else -- 74% win pct vs 2nd place with 64% win pct is simply dominant.

Last edited:

DR P00P

Feb 28, 2019
Lightning and Leafs are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. Its not even close

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
One division has Won the last 3 cups...

Tampa fans sure are cocky for not winning anything yet. Please touch the presidents trophy some more, I hear it’s good luck.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Tb has what it takes to win one but it takes luck and all kinds of other things to go your way. Going 16-0 in this tournament has gotta be near impossible. Has it even been done?

The Edmonton Oilers went 16-2 on their way to the Stanley Cup in 1988. I believe that's the best record ever. A few teams have done it in 20 games. The Montreal Canadiens were perfect in 59-60, but the playoffs were only two rounds back then. They only lost one game in three rounds in 67-68 and 75-76.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad