Is Tampa for real or just a matter of a weak division?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Pretty much yeah, just because the Atlantic is weak. And also because the Metro is weak, we're 21-2-0 against them after all. And oh yeah the Pacific is pretty weak too, blame them for Tampa's success. They've had trouble against Central so it's safe to say they wouldn't make the playoffs there.

Fighting Major

Feb 1, 2013
Almost in the Danube
On the other hand two of the three worst teams are from the Atlantic plus the Sabres. And couldn‘t it be that the other leaders also are strong because of the weak division? Talking about the Metropolitan: Extremely hard competition so far, no one qualified yet and a bunch of cups the last few years ...

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
On the other hand two of the three worst teams are from the Atlantic plus the Sabres. And couldn‘t it be that the other leaders also are strong because of the weak division? Talking about the Metropolitan: Extremely hard competition so far, no one qualified yet and a bunch of cups the last few years ...
You're right. Metro is so tough that Tampa is 21-2 against them instead of 23-0.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Except in the Leafs and Bruins case, their best record is vs the West (especially the Pacific), and the Leafs have essentially the same record vs the Metro as they do vs the Atlantic. So, no. Tampa's record isn't a product of beating up primarily on the Atlantic. They have completely destroyed the Metro, Atlantic and Pacific.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Yea I mean it's kinda like the Draisatl-argument. "He plays with McDavid, of course he scores a lot". Team version of that being: "they face weaker opponents all the time, that's why they're on the top". I find it odd how Edmonton management haven't just filled the roster with shitty players, as they would be 100p players when put in the same line with McDavid. Oh, they have? And OH, Kassian and Lucic still aren't 100p players? And OOOH, Tampa Bay is still the only team with a 21-2-0 record against the Metro teams even though they are so, so bad?

Yes, playing against bad teams will help with collecting points. But they wouldn't win as many games as they're winning, if they were bad or even mediocre. Tampa Bay is a really good team. No other way to say it.

killa3312

Mar 4, 2015
Tampa is currently 18-4 against teams in playoff contention in the East. The Central division in the West surprisingly is the one that gives them the most problems.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Atlantic does suck, haha.

What? The Kings are 2-11-3 against the Atlantic? The worst points% by any team against any division this year? Ottawa is 2-0 against the Kings, outscoring them 9-2? Nevermind.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Fighting Major

Feb 1, 2013
Almost in the Danube
For explanation: I am living in Austria and have a quite low sample of games for obvious reasons (games in the night and a daytime job). I am not trolling and I ask for reasons for the success of a very good team. I didn‘t write something about a weak East or AHL-caliber.
And some of you (93LEAFS, daver e.g. - sorry if I forgot a few) have brought good arguments for the Bolts to be for real. I personally like that team and think that Steve Stamkos and a few others should have a cup under their belt - at least one. This could be their year. And it should. Not a fan though.
Personally I am glad that some aren‘t mods. The question was about an idea with a too small sample to find too many arguments in favor so I was Auskunft for your opinions. Which is legitimate I think. Yes the title could have been less provocative and for that matter less trolly. More something like: „Is Tampa really that good or is their success to a certain extent also a matter of a weaker division?“ Way less sexy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad