Is something wrong with Dylan Larkin?

Naruto*

Nov 21, 2016
I remember last year Larkin was being really hyped up. Some ppl were thinking Detroit had done it again. But I took a look at his stats today and was surprised. 11 points in 30 games? 30 point pace.....

Umm am I missing something? Are his point totals not representative of his play? Is he okay? I haven't really watched Detroit but I always thought he was in the ehlers/nylander tier.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Larkin's too young to be shouldering an incompetent roster, nor breaking through incompetent coaching.

He's also not some 1OA miracle prospect, either.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
There is nothing wrong with him. He is just a young and thus inconsistent player who really wasn't all that good to begin with.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
He's trash, ECHL bound

EDIT: Either that or he's still very young, playing in his second season, on a team that isn't very good.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's not getting many bounces or linemates converting passes at 5 on 5 (6.7oiSH%) and for whatever reason the powerplay over the last 2 years (granted over a small sample size) is below average when he is on (7.9 oiSH%). Larkin's crazy start last year also may of put unrealistic expectations on him. He is still an elite skater who is very good at driving possession and is a pretty good goal scorer. His lack of high-end vision might stop him from becoming a true number one center, and he seems to of struggled when being deployed there this year. I still think there is a strong possibility he can become the 2nd line center most teams would love to have in the Ryan Kesler mold. He has a higher ceiling than that, but I think he most likely ends up a high-end #2. This stretch is just a blip. If his power play numbers just improve to slightly below league average instead of being near the bottom, and he gets a few more bounces at es, we aren't having this discussion.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
sophomore slump is all.. been going on for years... everyone gets a free pass in sophomore year after a extremely good rookie season

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
He was never as good as people were making him out to be last year.

Note: This is not me saying he's bad. He's good, very good... but he was severly overhyped last season. He's also much better than an 11 pt in 30 game player so do not take this as me ripping him. I'm just saying his lore grew last year and he was never as good as it appeared.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I remember last year Larkin was being really hyped up. Some ppl were thinking Detroit had done it again. But I took a look at his stats today and was surprised. 11 points in 30 games? 30 point pace.....

Umm am I missing something? Are his point totals not representative of his play? Is he okay? I haven't really watched Detroit but I always thought he was in the ehlers/nylander tier.

Sophomore slump on a terrible team.

But he is also the leading goalscorer on the team with 9.

Then throw in some terribad linemates...

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Its a combination. I definitely don't think he is as good as most of HF (and vocal Detroit fans) made him out to be. However, he is certainly better than his stat line has shown so far. He isn't going to be a sub-30 point player.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Ughhhhhh great. I'm playing against Larkin in fantasy. I'll bump this post later tonight after he scores 2 goals.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
A little too much hype from last year and a lot of regression from Detroit.

He'll still be a great player though, he is only 20 after all.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Its more than a sophomore slump, Detroit's roster is a wasteland of talent. There are only a handful of hockey players in the world that can do it all by themselves. I think having Daystuk on the team gave him a lot more room to breath and Tartar is playing awful which is pretty much half to 2/3 of our scoring winger squad, add into that a defense that struggles to get the puck up the ice

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad