Is Sidney Crosby on track to be (or already is) the 4th best forward ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
So we'll just take someone's subjective opinion as proof that Messier was "clearly superior"? Or maybe remove defensive play as having any significance in closing the gap between Messier and Crosby.
As time passes, people conflate physical play with defense.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 1.30.24 PM.png

I'm getting confused. :huh: ;)

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I don't know if it's been mentioned here earlier but I can think of some names (just off the top of my head) other than Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe that are just as good or better than Crosby. Those names are Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, Brian Trottier, Jaromir Jagr, Mark Messier, Marcel Dionne, Phil Espesito, Joe Sacic, Steve Yzermen, Brett Hull, Dennis Savard, Pavel Bure, Peter Stastney, Maurice Richard.

Reactions: Mbraunm

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't know if it's been mentioned here earlier but I can think of some names (just off the top of my head) other than Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe that are just as good or better than Crosby. Those names are Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, Brian Trottier, Jaromir Jagr, Mark Messier, Marcel Dionne, Phil Espesito, Joe Sacic, Steve Yzermen, Brett Hull, Dennis Savard, Pavel Bure, Peter Stastney, Maurice Richard.

Crosby's resume after 14 seasons (peak, prime, playoffs) is clearly stronger than anyone else's here after 14 seasons. I would like to hear your argument for any of these players.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He's in the mix with guys like Yzerman, Stastny, Messier, Richard, Beliveau, Trottier, Dionne, Sakic, Forsberg. So probably the 3rd tier. You could maybe argue he is the best of this group, but still, idk. Guys like Esposito, Bossy, Jagr, Lafleur, Bobby Hull, Mikita, Ovechkin are clearly better than Crosby.

Tier 1:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Howe

Tier 2:

Esposito
Ovechkin
Bossy
Jagr
Crosby
Lafleur
Bobby Hull
Mikita

Tier 3 (in no particular order)

Yzerman
Stastny
Messier
Richard
Beliveau
Trottier
Dionne
Sakic
Forsberg

Edit: After some thought, I've changed my mind about Crosby; I think he belongs in tier 2, pretty much on par with, or slightly ahead of Lafleur.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mbraunm

May 17, 2009
Maine
He's in the mix with guys like Yzerman, Stastny, Messier, Richard, Beliveau, Trottier, Dionne, Sakic, Forsberg. So probably the 3rd tier. You could maybe argue he is the best of this group, but still, idk. Guys like Esposito, Bossy, Jagr, Lafleur, Bobby Hull, Mikita, Ovechkin are clearly better than Crosby.

Tier 1:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Howe

Tier 2:

Esposito
Bossy
Jagr
Lafleur
Bobby Hull
Mikita
Ovechkin

Yzerman
Stastny
Messier
Richard
Beliveau
Trottier
Dionne
Sakic
Forsberg
Crosby

OK, assuming Crosby retired tomorrow, what would the argument be to put Yzerman above him?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
in my entire life as a hockey fan, i never quite understood why Mike Bossy is this severely underrated

Not the best player on is own team according to many (many have him even #3), make him easy to push down in all time ranking ?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
OK, assuming Crosby retired tomorrow, what would the argument be to put Yzerman above him?
After some tought, I'm going to change Crosby's position in my rankings. I will edit my post. Besides, in my original post, I did say he's probably the best of that 3rd group, but I've changed my mind and I think he belongs in tier 2.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
After some tought, I'm going to change Crosby's position in my rankings. I will edit my post. Besides, in my original post, I did say he's probably the best of that 3rd group, but I've changed my mind and I think he belongs in tier 2.

Bossy in a different tier than Trottier I am a bit curious of the argument.

During Bossy career (100% is prime)

Players with 500 games or more Regular season

Gretzky: 2.4 ppg
Statsny: 1.5ppg
Bossy: 1.5 ppg
Kurri: 1.45 ppg
Dionne: 1.42 ppg
Trottier: 1.37ppg

Total:
Gretzky: 1520
Bossy: 1126
Dionne: 1101
Trottier: 1035

Playoff ppg (at least 50 games)
Gretzky: 2.07 ppg
Kurri: 1.41 ppg
Savard: 1.28ppg
Statsny: 1.27 ppg
Bossy: 1.24 ppg
Messier: 1.23ppg

Total:
Gretzky: 209
Bossy: 160
Trottier: 150

Kurri: 138

With what Trottier bring in Selke defence, leadership, physicality, durability, Bossy above him sound quite disputable ? Because of playoff goalscoring ?

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

Tier 1:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Howe

Tier 2:

Esposito
Ovechkin
Bossy
Jagr
Crosby
Lafleur
Bobby Hull
Mikita

Yzerman
Stastny
Messier
Richard
Beliveau
Trottier
Dionne
Sakic
Forsberg

Edit: After some thought, I've changed my mind about Crosby; I think he belongs in tier 2, pretty much on par with, or slightly ahead of Lafleur.
Your tiers are pretty good. Don’t agree with the orders if they are ordered and I think Bossy should go to tier 3.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Bossy in a different tier than Trottier I am a bit curious of the argument.

During Bossy career (100% is prime)

Players with 500 games or more Regular season

Gretzky: 2.4 ppg
Statsny: 1.5ppg
Bossy: 1.5 ppg
Kurri: 1.45 ppg
Dionne: 1.42 ppg
Trottier: 1.37ppg

Total:
Gretzky: 1520
Bossy: 1126
Dionne: 1101
Trottier: 1035

Playoff ppg (at least 50 games)
Gretzky: 2.07 ppg
Kurri: 1.41 ppg
Savard: 1.28ppg
Statsny: 1.27 ppg
Bossy: 1.24 ppg
Messier: 1.23ppg

Total:
Gretzky: 209
Bossy: 160
Trottier: 150

Kurri: 138

With what Trottier bring in Selke defence, leadership, physicality, durability, Bossy above him sound quite disputable ? Because of playoff goalscoring ?
Mostly because of goalscoring in general, as well as him having the highest g/gp in NHL history. He was a special player. But so is every one of these guys, so I guess it comes down to how much you value goalscoring. My rankings is the way I see it.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
as well as him having the highest g/gp in NHL history.

That is almost pure trivia and due to when he played and for how long, during is own career he didn't had the highest g/gp.

Gretzky: 0.86
Bossy: .76
Kurri: .68

Both Lemieux(605) and Gretzky(575) scored their first 500 goals is less games it took Bossy (647):
List of NHL players with 500 goals - Wikipedia

But the fact he hang with those 2 is absolutely incredible for sure.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Peter stastney? Bure? Sakic? Trottier? Come on man. Crosby has played 14 seasons now. He is not some new kid on the block anymore. He’s clearly passed those players.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Crosby, 7 best % leads over #10 in points
32-27-26-19-17-15-14
Bossy, 7 best % leads over #10 in points
39-38-17-16-15-13-12

At this point, you can pick Crosby based on longevity, but at their best, Bossy was better.
Which is generally a problem with Crosby: his peak is rather meh compared to pretty much everyone in top20 (and probably even top20 forwards).
Yes, he probably lost his potentially best seasons to injuries; yes, he compensated for the low peak, to an extent, by staying elite for a long time.
But taking Crosby over someone like Bobby Hull or Jagr... Just no.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
You think he was the 4th best forward ever?

i think Gordie Howe is a tad bit overrated
and i'd prefer taking Bossy

so although ranking players like that from different eras 1-5 is a difficult thing to do, Bossy is top 5 all time for me

Crosby is a complete player, but if i want goals scored, i'm picking Bossy over Crosby every single time

ps: no knock on Crosby

also, my point was mostly the fact that Bossy's name is never brought up by people, but then i see names like Yzerman and co...

he's often the forgotten player, like people don't even give him an honorable mention in conversations, yet when Bossy joined the Islanders...that's when the Isles became a dynasty (yes there's an entire team there too, i know)

there was a time where Bossy was scoring at will, delivering 60 goal seasons year in and out like nobody's business, i think he deserves to be at least part of the discussion

Last edited:

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
32-27-26-19-17-15-14
Bossy, 7 best % leads over #10 in points
39-38-17-16-15-13-12

At this point, you can pick Crosby based on longevity, but at their best, Bossy was better.
Which is generally a problem with Crosby: his peak is rather meh compared to pretty much everyone in top20 (and probably even top20 forwards).
Yes, he probably lost his potentially best seasons to injuries; yes, he compensated for the low peak, to an extent, by staying elite for a long time.
But taking Crosby over someone like Bobby Hull or Jagr... Just no.
he’s better than both.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
he’s better than both.

He is not close, really.

32-27-26-19-17-15-14
Jagr, 7 best % leads over #10 in points
43-39-36-32-32-29-22
Hull Sr., 7 best % leads over #10 in points
63-45-45-37-35-29-26

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He is not close, really.

32-27-26-19-17-15-14
43-39-36-32-32-29-22
63-45-45-37-35-29-26

The majority doesn't care about using only full seasons. Crosby played enough to show what he was capable of.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
He is not close, really.

32-27-26-19-17-15-14
43-39-36-32-32-29-22
63-45-45-37-35-29-26

Not sure how that metric hold up for the 06 era, there were often 9-12 forward on a good team first line/power play unit and just 18 overall.

First 14 season Jagr (at 31 like Crosby is now)

Regular season player with 500 games during Jagr first 14 seasons
Gretzky: 1.37
Forsberg: 1.28
Jagr: 1.27
Sakic: 1.23
Lindros: 1.21

playoff ppg among 50 games players during Jagr first 14 seasons
Lemieux: 1.59
Greztky: 1.40

Forsberg: 1.15
Lindros: 1.14
Sakic: 1.10
Bure: 1.09
Messier: 1.08
Jagr: 1.05

Crosby first 14 season RS (at least 500 games)
Crosby: 1.29 ppg
Malkin: 1.18 ppg
Ovechkin: 1.12 ppg
Kane: 1.04
Datsyuk/Stamkos: 1.03

Playoff (at least 50 games)
Crosby: 1.13
Malkin: 1.04
Ovechkin: 0.98
Kane: .97
Getzlaf: .96

Jagr peaked higher and achieved health during is peak season considerably more, but it is not like he is not close imo.

Is PPG after 14 seasons is higher than Jagr, the average goal by game by season during that stretch was of 2.963, for Crosby 2.83 while having more playoff success during those 14 season (but that a lot to do with luck/rest of the team you have to have the chance to play in the playoff).

We can obviously remove Lemieux/Gretzky name when they appear above, but outside a Jagr faced much better competition argument, that I would think could be true early 90s) it is not like is 14 first season of is career seem distanced and not close of Crosby.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
i think Gordie Howe is a tad bit overrated
and i'd prefer taking Bossy

so although ranking players like that from different eras 1-5 is a difficult thing to do, Bossy is top 5 all time for me

Crosby is a complete player, but if i want goals scored, i'm picking Bossy over Crosby every single time

ps: no knock on Crosby

also, my point was mostly the fact that Bossy's name is never brought up by people, but then i see names like Yzerman and co...

he's often the forgotten player, like people don't even give him an honorable mention in conversations, yet when Bossy joined the Islanders...that's when the Isles became a dynasty (yes there's an entire team there too, i know)

there was a time where Bossy was scoring at will, delivering 60 goal seasons year in and out like nobody's business, i think he deserves to be at least part of the discussion
It's probably because bossy was never considered best on his team just like malkin is forgotten about .

I guess most people name both sakic and foppa when discussing lists of players tho so maybe it's unfair.

Howe gets in pretty much because he played for freaking ever . And he has pretty great finishes throughout his entire career in terms of scoring. Top 5 in scoring for 20 years straight is a pretty good stat.

Plus 12 top three hart finishes and six harts / rosses . 20 all star team selections. Idk how Crosby ever bumps him

Last edited:

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
The majority doesn't care about using only full seasons. Crosby played enough to show what he was capable of.

In a full season, he was not capable of peaking higher than Malkin, Kane, and, by some metrics, D. Sedin.
If we use partial seasons, shouldn't we do the same for everyone else? That is, pitch Crosby's 10/11 or 12/13 against their hot streaks?

Is PPG after 14 seasons is higher than Jagr, the average goal by game by season during that stretch was of 2.963, for Crosby 2.83 while having more playoff success during those 14 season (but that a lot to do with luck/rest of the team you have to have the chance to play in the playoff).

The use of ppg basically says: let's mix together their peak seasons and meh seasons and deduct from Jagr's best season if his 14th-best season is not good enough.
I can give you that: Jagr's 8th to 14th-best seasons are worse than Crosby's 8th to 14th-best seasons - though 3 of Crosby's 14 seasons are drastically shortened by injuries. But still, Crosby has a longer prime than Jagr.
But in his 3 best seasons and even in his 7 best seasons Jagr was much better, and that's what really counts.
You cannot trade top3-top5 finishes against Art Ross wins that easily, one win is probably worth 3 or 4 such finishes.
I mean, Orr played 9 kinda-sorta full seasons. There are tons of defensemen who had a longer prime. But no one was close to peak Orr, and thus Orr is better than anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad