Is Sean Monahan a 1C?

Is Sean Monahan a 1C?

• Total voters

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Monahan is a #1 centre, but definitely not one of the elite ones. He lacks the playmaking of an elite 1st line centre, and he cannot drive the puck into the zone at a top level. However, Monahan is one of the most consistent goal scorers in the league. Fortunately, his left winger is one of the best playmaking wingers to ever play the game, and is one of the best wingers in the NHL at entering the zone.

So....Monahan is basically a perfect fit for Gaudreau, hence their success. Gaudreau does many of the things a centre does, in terms of playmaking, but can't be a centre himself due to his size. The combination of Monahan/Gaudreau is always dangerous, and typically requires opposing team to double team at least one of them, allowing their other winger to score just by being an above average player.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

No, I’m really asking when or where I hurt you. I remember like a month ago I posted something in a thread and you randomly quoted me and took it way off topic telling me Karlsson wasn’t going to sign. Where did I hurt you? I want to say sorry so we can get this over with.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
No, I’m really asking when or where I hurt you. I remember like a month ago I posted something in a thread and you randomly quoted me and took it way off topic telling me Karlsson wasn’t going to sign. Where did I hurt you? I want to say sorry so we can get this over with.
You didn't? Maybe I responded to you because you were so insistent that Karlsson was going to re-sign, when reports were that he wasn't (I was wrong!). I do not get 'hurt' over anything said on a message board lol

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You didn't? Maybe I responded to you because you were so insistent that Karlsson was going to re-sign, when reports were that he wasn't (I was wrong!). I do not get 'hurt' over anything said on a message board lol

Okay, well, to bring this back on topic, Couture just scored more goals in 20 playoff games than Monahan has points in his 20 career playoff games. Don't you think they might not be the best comparison?

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Okay, well, to bring this back on topic, Couture just scored more goals in 20 playoff games than Monahan has points in his 20 career playoff games. Don't you think they might not be the best comparison?
Monahan has higher career PPG, and GPG than Couture; a smaller portion of his points have also come on the PP. Couture wasn't even full time until his draft+4 year, whereas Monahan was thrust into the league at a 19 year old, thus, giving Couture an advantage when it comes to aging curves. Neither are necessarily play drivers, either. I'm not even saying Monahan is necessarily better, but saying the Flames can't win a cup with Monahan as their 1C is sort of silly, unless you think the Sharks can't.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Couture is much better than Monahan as he can generate his own offense and drive play. I'm not sure that Monahan could put up 50 points without a player like JG making plays for him.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Couture is much better than Monahan as he can generate his own offense and drive play. I'm not sure that Monahan could put up 50 points without a player like JG making plays for him.
Couture does not drive play. In fact, his relative CF% has been negative over the last three years.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Monahan has higher career PPG, and GPG than Couture; a smaller portion of his points have also come on the PP. Couture wasn't even full time until his draft+4 year, whereas Monahan was thrust into the league at a 19 year old, thus, giving Couture an advantage when it comes to aging curves. Neither are necessarily play drivers, either. I'm not even saying Monahan is necessarily better, but saying the Flames can't win a cup with Monahan as their 1C is sort of silly, unless you think the Sharks can't.

Couture has also never played with an elite offensive linemate.

Still, people would probably be saying the same about Couture though if it wasn't for the playoff runs he's had. Average regular season Couture probably isn't good enough to win the cup as your 1C (though with the Sharks, he and Hertl are really 1A and 1B). If Monahan had 14 goals this playoffs, this wouldn't be a thread

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Couture does not drive play. In fact, his relative CF% has been negative over the last three years.

Well he can generate his own offense in the offensive zone at least. Monahan is a classic leach and can't do anyting when his buddy JG is getting shutdown.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017

Still, people would probably be saying the same about Couture though if it wasn't for the playoff runs he's had. Average regular season Couture probably isn't good enough to win the cup as your 1C (though with the Sharks, he and Hertl are really 1A and 1B). If Monahan had 14 goals this playoffs, this wouldn't be a thread
Couture has been on PPs that have featured Joe Thornton, Brent Burns, and Joe Pavelski. Let's not pretend that Couture is playing with Michael Haley

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well he can make his own offense in the offensive zone at least. Monahan is a classic leach.

Classic leach based on what?

He put up good numbers for a 19 year old prior to Gaudreau playing in the league, out up good juniors numbers and now is putting up good numbers with Gaudreau better than the other linemates on the line. There is zero reason to think he is a leach other than being a pathetic bitter fan trying to cut him down.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Classic leach based on what?

He put up good numbers for a 19 year old prior to Gaudreau playing in the league, out up good juniors numbers and now is putting up good numbers with Gaudreau better than the other linemates on the line. There is zero reason to think he is a leach other than being a pathetic bitter fan trying to cut him down.

Based on watching him play

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Based on watching him play

Having watched him play basically every game of his career it is clear he is not close to being a leach at all.

So if that is what you are basing it on then its pretty clear you have zero idea at all.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Having watched him play basically every game of his career it is clear he is not close to being a leach at all.

So if that is what you are basing it on then its pretty clear you have zero idea at all.

Possibly. I've been wrong before. :laugh:

I do feel like people underrate how good JG is though. I can't help but think how good he would be with a smarter center to play with that can make room for him. It always seems to be JG making the room when I watch, with Monahan standing around waiting for something to happen.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Hit the nail on the head here. I'd say the same thing about regular season Couture for sure if he weren't a proven playoff performer over a large sample.

And you are also correct about Hertl. If there's a guy on the Sharks to randomly chirp, it's Hertl; he's their #1C now and going forward. And I think Hertl had a better regular season than Monahan.

As mentioned above, Couture is one of the best playoff performers of this decade, and he's also never played with a linemate of Gaudreau's caliber.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

This idea he leeches off Gaudreau has always been ridiculous. Guy had 20 goals as a rookie with some awful wingers. Gaudreau may be the better player but Johnny doesn't crack 90 points with any other C on our team.

Reactions: Baxterman

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I do feel like people underrate how good JG is though. I can't help but think how good he would be with a smarter center to play with that can make room for him. It always seems to be JG making the room when I watch, with Monahan standing around waiting for something to happen.

Catch-22.
Johnny gets an elite centre to make room for him and play with him.
Johnny loses a premier goal scorer as his centre though.

Flames fans on our board know I'm not the biggest Monahan fan, but the guy finds quiet ice and scores a bunch of goals. It's hard to find high level goal scoring. The big thing most Flames fans are clamoring for, is just another dangerous centre option for this team; because guys simply break Johnny down in the playoffs. Backlund's a shutdown guy, and the issue with that, is he brings Matt Tkachuk along with him for those assignments. Matty Tkachuk was near PPG playing a shutdown line with a defensive 2C and a 2/3 RW in Frolik.

At the end of the day, Monahan is a top 30C in the league, probably more in the early 20's. That makes him a 1C. I also forget how young he is. I think by the time he's 28, he'll figure out both ends of the ice too. If he does that, the guy will be elite.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This idea he leeches off Gaudreau has always been ridiculous. Guy had 20 goals as a rookie with some awful wingers. Gaudreau may be the better player but Johnny doesn't crack 90 points with any other C on our team.

Those two work well together. With Lindy it also gave them a defensive RW to play with.
The issue is during the playoffs, people just play Johnny hard, and Lindy and Monahan can't really pickup the puck-carrying slack.

It's a mutualism type relationship; Johnny doesn't rack up the A's with Backlund as his Centre. Monahan doesn't rack up the goals with Bennett as his primary winger.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I think playing with Gaudreau helps him but that is the case with almost every top line guy. I think Gaudreau scores more points having Monahan on his line.

As for Gaudreau being better with a "smarter center that makes room for him" not really sure who that would be that isn't already a top guy. I think Monahan is underrated for his ability to get open so that Gaudreau can find him. Monahan definitely does not stand around waiting for something to happen, that describes Ferland when on the line which is why he never came close to putting up Monahan type numbers.

The idea of a leach to me is that Monahan would be a 30 point guy without Gaudreau and is only scoring because of him and that is not the case at all. Monahan has flaws but he is a very talented offensive guy who contributes to the line.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
As mentioned above, Couture is one of the best playoff performers of this decade, and he's also never played with a linemate of Gaudreau's caliber.
Huh? Looking through the early part of Couture's career, he spent a ton of time with Marleau, who is a borderline HOFer and Joe Pavelski, who was scoring 65-80 points every year.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
hes good enough offensively to be one but hes a defensive liability so more of a 2c really

upload_2019-7-15_16-48-26.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad