Is Sean Monahan a 1C?

Is Sean Monahan a 1C?

• Total voters

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Seems like in the last week or so I keep seeing people claim that he isn’t or that Calgary is still looking for a #1 centre.

Last season he had 82 points in 78 games. Season before that he had 64 points in 74 games.

He’s also still the leading goal scorer from the 2013 draft with 172 career goals. MacKinnon has 155 career goals and Barkov has 135.

So is Sean Monahan a 1C?

Reactions: GreeningOil

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I voted yes, but I'd like to be clear that I don't think he's a good enough #1C to get Calgary to the Finals.

He's very good at getting where he needs to be to score goals.....he's got a keen nose for it.

But he doesn't give Johnny the time and space he needs to allow him to truly become an elite winger.

Johnny has to do the lions share of work on that line and Mony benefits from it.

That and to say he is soft would be an insult to a cotton ball. The dude is a powder puff, and he's not a small player.

I'd love it if we had a Kopitar like player at #1C and Mony playing #2C......that would be ideal and I think the team would become a playoff threat instead of the easy out they have been of late.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah he is, he's towards the lower end of #1 centres now but he's still a #1 centre IMO.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Monahan is a very good complementary offensive center and a top 31 center, but he's not a play driver and I can't see him outplaying most top 31 centers head to head in the playoffs. You can probably win a cup with him at 1C, but you probably need a similar level center as your 2C who actually can win those matchups. Backlund is a good defensive center, but I don't think he's quite good enough offensively to be that guy.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Very low-end one, yes. He's a fantastic finisher, but he's otherwise 'just there.' It works because the Flames have almost got the roles reversed where Johnny Hockey is the play driving puck carrying 1C and Monahan the complementary finishing winger. I have no doubt that without Gaudreau, Monahan would get bonked every night by the opposing 1st line. I can't think of many 1C matchups lighter than him.

Reactions: Poyd Treechada

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yes, AINEC

There is no doubt he is a #1 center, zero argument can be made against him being one. The debate can be how high he ranks among other #1 centers but he is without a doubt a #1c.

The garbage about him being a product of Gaudreau is just that garbage. He continually outscores the other member of the line, put up 22 goals before Gaudreau was in the league as a 19 year old and almost every single other good player in the league plays with other good players. The guys who put up good stats on their own are very, very rare (maybe only Sid and McDavid, although he plays a lot with Drasaitl, could be said to do it).

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
There are so many things wrong with this retort, I genuinely don't know where to begin.

Tells you that Monahan is only 24 and can still improve... ROR is several years older and took a big step this year.

And he just came off an 82 pt season. He’s not perfect, but he’s a fine #1C

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Tells you that Monahan is only 24 and can still improve... ROR is several years older and took a big step this year.

And he just came off an 82 pt season. He’s not perfect, but he’s a fine #1C

Even before this year, O'Reilly's all around game was still much better than Monahan's, and he brought that impact on much weaker teams than Monahan's, without ever playing with a linemate like Gaudreau.

A poll from last year says absolutely nothing, most importantly because HF polls mean nothing, but also because ROR took a major step forward and he would obliterate Monahan if you conducted that same poll today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad