Is Sean Monahan a 1C?

Is Sean Monahan a 1C?

• Total voters

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Even before this year, O'Reilly's all around game was still much better than Monahan's, and he brought that impact on much weaker teams than Monahan's, without ever playing with a linemate like Gaudreau.

A poll from last year says absolutely nothing, most importantly because HF polls mean nothing, but also because ROR took a major step forward and he would obliterate Monahan if you conducted that same poll today.

K, thanks for dodging my point about progression completely. Both were seen as similar caliber players until this season, don’t see why Monahan can’t take steps forward in his game either.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
K, thanks for dodging my point about progression completely. Both were seen as similar caliber players until this season, don’t see why Monahan can’t take steps forward in his game either.

Progression is not relevant to a thread about whether or not he is a #1C. Currently, I don't see that from him.

And it was a mistake that they were seen as similar caliber players.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I look at Monahan in the same kind of category as guys like Couture, Johansen, Zibanejad, RNH, Hertl..

He's an elite 2nd line center, needs high end wingers around him to be a 1st line center.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What makes him a #1C? Are we looking at top-31 centers in the league? Are we looking at what position he is in on his team's depth chart?

The former imo. I'd be pretty curious to see a list of 31 centers better than him. He's been one of the most consistent goal scorers in the league since he was a rookie.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Progression is not relevant to a thread about whether or not he is a #1C. Currently, I don't see that from him.

And it was a mistake that they were seen as similar caliber players.

Maybe in hindsight it was, but saying otherwise is revisionist history.

And if an 82 pt centre who was 9th in takeaways in the entire nhl, 51.1% in the dot, and is top 10 goal scoring centre over the past 3 years isn’t a #1C then I don’t know what is.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Look at the guys who have won the Stanley Cup as a #1 center.

It's a bunch of guys who are a lot better than Sean Monahan.

Even if that is true what does that have to do with whether he is a #1C or not?

You can be a #1C and still be behind guys like Crosby, Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron, Staal etc.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I look at Monahan in the same kind of category as guys like Couture, Johansen, Zibanejad, RNH, Hertl..

He's an elite 2nd line center, needs high end wingers around him to be a 1st line center.

Based on what though?

He had a successful season as a 19 year old rookie before Gaudreau was in the league, had a very successful junior career and has repeatedly outscored the 3 person, who has never been high end, on the line with Gaudreau.

Is Bergeron not a 1C because he plays with Marchand and Pasternak? Tavares plays with Marner maybe we should look at him. Basically everybody plays with other good players I am not sure why people seem to keep bringing it up as a negative for Monahan.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yes he is. And those that are critiquing him because of his awful playoff round against the Avs, it happens to everyone. Did we all forget how dominant he was when we got swept against the Ducks not too long ago?

He's a 1C. My biggest pet peeve is that everyone thinks that he is a product of Gaudreau. While he does get good feeds to pot the goals from Johhny, he is not a product of him. As mentioned, he potted 20+ goals without Gaudreau. Where do those 48 assists come from that he just got? Johnny? No.

He's definitely a 1C but in order for it to work you need to have a very reliable 2-way center as 2C who is also good offensively. That's the key to cup winning. Monahan isn't necessarily a strong 2-way center so that's why we have struggled. Not only did Monahan struggle but Backlund did too.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Even before this year, O'Reilly's all around game was still much better than Monahan's, and he brought that impact on much weaker teams than Monahan's, without ever playing with a linemate like Gaudreau.

A poll from last year says absolutely nothing, most importantly because HF polls mean nothing, but also because ROR took a major step forward and he would obliterate Monahan if you conducted that same poll today.

OK...I guess opinion on HF really means nothing. What is your opinion again?

Reactions: HugginThePost

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
31 teams in the NHL teams.....Monahan is among the top 31 centres that makes him a # 1.
It isn't really important. If Monahan is top 15 centre in the league, and the Flames have another centre at # 25, that's pretty good starts. But would does it mean, Leafs had Tavares and Matthews (and Kadri) at centre. That go them to game 7 in round one.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Monahan is a very good complementary offensive center and a top 31 center, but he's not a play driver and I can't see him outplaying most top 31 centers head to head in the playoffs. You can probably win a cup with him at 1C, but you probably need a similar level center as your 2C who actually can win those matchups. Backlund is a good defensive center, but I don't think he's quite good enough offensively to be that guy.

That's a real issue right there. If you ask me, your best center isn't supposed to be complimentary. If you got a center who can win those matchups, it means he's going to be your most played C in the playoffs, technically making him your 1C.

Sure, he can be the #1C on a team that wins the Cup. You probably want a guy almost as good as your #2C, though.

Disagree. I can't see a team winning the cup with Monahan as their best center. He can be the center on your best offensive line, but not the best center. There's a difference.

I can't think of a cup winner in recent memory that had their best center struggling against other top centers. They all had someone who could put up points and confidently go toe to toe with the opposing teams best. That's what 1C is supposed to do for your team - to be the guy who you can throw out there and feel confident no matter what the situation.

The question isn't is Monahan a #1C on a cup winner.

It's is he a #1C period.

That's undeniable.

Also agree. Monahan is still good enough offensively to be the #1 guy on a team trying to make the playoffs.

I guess i would classify him as a low end 1C. Technically 1C yes, if i want to win the cup no. That's low end for me.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'd say he's in the same tier as guys like Couture, Johansen, and Duchene. Very good centers, and with the right linemates can be 1Cs on a cup winning team.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You can say the same about Logan Couture

When did I hurt you?

I might be wrong but I think I remember you saying the same thing about ROR and the rest of the Blues center depth not being good enough just before last season.

Definitely, but ROR was always better than Monahan and he took a big step forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad