Is Santorelli the steal of the FA pool?

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Ive seen him twice now and he stands out on the ice. Ive noticed him more than Kesler...

This is a good point, and does explain why people are a little premature in their justifiable Santorelli praise: he HAS indeed outplayed Kesler. A Ryan Kesler that is supposed to be healthy, and carrying this team on his back, if we are to believe the preseason hype.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
No need for the label. Santorelli has done well so far. How can you complain? The guy has done nothing but good. Fundamentally he has been strong and his effort seems to be rewarding him. You have to imagine he is having the time of his life right now.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
playing for his hometown team, his family gets to see him. of course he's playing very well. i've noticed him more than any other player not named sedin/luongo. for the first 3 games.

Wetcoaster

Tortorella post-game on moving Santorelli up with the Sedins:

Everywhere I put him something happens.

Everything I do with him, he does great things for us.​

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

kyle wellwood version 2.0! magic mittens. remember tambellini? he used to make things happen too.then he got cold the rest of the year

Wetcoaster

kyle wellwood version 2.0! magic mittens. remember tambellini? he used to make things happen too.then he got cold the rest of the year
Nothing like Wellwood.

He is in top condition (he beat out the Sedins on the run) and plays a gritty game - he hits and blocks shots.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Doing well, but it all depends on how he plays on the 3rd/4th line 40-50 games from now.

He is clearly in good shape. Players around the league are still trying to get going. He also clearly got a lot of energy off just being in Vancouver. The "others" will physically catch up and that "Vancouver-energy" will wear off. How will he then look?

He looks good, but not that good. Got good hopes of him more than justifying his salary through the season though.

As others have mentioned Brunner is great value.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Way too early to crown the best FA pickup (who would probably be Grabo or Brunner right now anyways), but he's looked good so far. If he can get 10 goals this year I'll call this a great signing.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I just hope he sticks, and he becomes our fourth utility knife, after Burrows, Hansen and Higgins.

If he is who he say he is, I cannot imagine him leaving the Vancouver uniform as long as GMMG wants him. Money is a lot of things, but it certainly isn't being an integral part of your hometown hockey team that you grow up idolizing, playing close to home, and have a chance to bring a cup to your home town.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
This has got to be the greatest compliment possible. The vaunted "he's nothing special" from King of the ES.

Past recipients include Chris "Nothing Special" Tanev, and Jason "Fringe NHLer" Garrison.

Well there we go...

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011

Blech, IMac's attempt to force a "redemption" narrative onto the story ham handed and awkward.

Yes Santorelli is fighting to stay in the league. Long odds and all that.

Doesn't mean he was signed to play in Utica, in fact Macintyre specifically mentions he did not clear waivers last year (ending up with the Jets) so it seems particularly implausible.. the "Santorelli never had a chance" bit is just so unnecessary.

Just get the get the facts, get some quotes and put them in the paper Iain.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
As others have said, his fitness level is amongst the top of the team. Hopefully, this means he wont fall off excessively as the season wears on. I don't think he will maintain this pace. For $550K a year though, he has already justifiedhis contract. Cant call him the steal of the FA pool quite yet, though.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
He's playing with a tonne of jump. I think putting that jersey on means a lot to him and he's playing his ass off. Good to see. Hopefully he can keep up the strong player. Seems to have learned some valuable NHL lessons in his time bouncing around.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He's been a huge surprise.
And it's not like he hasn't had success in the NHL before this. Hopefully he can keep up the energy and get back to the form that he had early on in Florida. Still early but he wouldn't be the first player to revive his career in a new city.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I like what I have seen from Santorelli so far. Like Mason Raymond, he brings a lot of speed and good offensive instincts. Unlike Raymond, Santorelli is tenacious on loose pucks and goes to the net hard.

But we've seen early season hot streaks before. If he can sustain this, it really helps our depth up front. But he was hot once before in Florida and for some reason his offensive game evaporated.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I think its clear that he belongs in the NHL and not in the AHL, and probably in the top 9. However, he is going to have to continue to refine his game without the puck if he wants a spot like that on a team that is looking to go deep in the playoffs. Even though he has done well with that so far this season he is going to have to maintain it otherwise a spot like his becomes something management will look to fill at the trade deadline.

He got his opportunity with the questionable depth up front on this team (particularly at center) and he's outperformed everyone competing for those spots in the top 9. Great for him and for us!

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Raymond is.

This was my thought coming in here, I wasn't big on letting him go and esp for the price T.O got him. He is a good player but became a fan whipping boy.

It is waaaaaaaay to early for these kinds of threads though but everyone seems to be rather impatient.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I'm liking his tenacity along the boards and the fact that he's always hounding the puck.

He looks like a quicker, smaller version of Burrows.

Granted we haven't played the strongest of teams, and it's way too early, but the more I watch, the more I'm liking the look of the team. It's also refreshing to watch Torts in post-game interviews... but that'll most likely change when the honeymoon phase is over.

Outside99*

Santorelli's advantage is his superior fitness. He can skate at top speed for near entire shifts, and of course can sustain it for the entire game, well into the 3rd period. It also helps the rest of his game, more than people might think, as soccer studies have shown.

Solid addition to the top 9.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I think the difference between Tambellini/Raymond/Wellwood and Santorelli is obvious, he can come out of a puck battle still on his skates. He's got all the physical tools he needs, hopefully he can keep up the great work ethic.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Santorelli has been a huge surprise. His tenacity in the boards makes him more valuable to the Canucks than Raymond was.

Both good players in their own right, but Santorelli so far has proven to be a big upgrade. Kudos to Gillis.

The real question will be if he can maintain his play. he doesn't have to keep scoring at a 40G per year clip, but if he continues to play hard and make things happen Canuck fans should be happy with 30pts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad