Is Santorelli the steal of the FA pool?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
There's nothing spectacular about Santorelli at all. Guys like him are a dime-a-dozen in today's NHL.

Somebody mentioned Mason Raymond earlier in the thread. I'm not sure if that was in jest, but I think it's correct, if you're talking about the biggest off-season steal. I'd rather have Raymond at $1M than Santorelli at $550K, personally. Raymond brings that scarce element of elite speed, which has value. Santorelli is presently benefiting from the recency effect of a two-goal performance against Calgary.

Maybe, but as we've seen with him and others, if you don't do anything very effective with it, what value does it really have.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
This is ridiculously premature but I suppose when compared to other posters proclaiming him useless after 0 GP it's not that bad..

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
There's nothing spectacular about Santorelli at all. Guys like him are a dime-a-dozen in today's NHL.

Somebody mentioned Mason Raymond earlier in the thread. I'm not sure if that was in jest, but I think it's correct, if you're talking about the biggest off-season steal. I'd rather have Raymond at $1M than Santorelli at $550K, personally. Raymond brings that scarce element of elite speed, which has value. Santorelli is presently benefiting from the recency effect of a two-goal performance against Calgary.

This has got to be the greatest compliment possible. The vaunted "he's nothing special" from King of the ES.

Past recipients include Chris "Nothing Special" Tanev, and Jason "Fringe NHLer" Garrison.

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
If you look at Santorelli's stats, he's done quite well when he's been given a chance to consistently play. I think he knows he has to prove himself and works hard and it shows.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
We were saying similar things with Tambellini in 2011, when everything was going right for him at the start.

I like what I've seen but lets be patient. Season is still young.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
We were saying similar things with Tambellini in 2011, when everything was going right for him at the start.

I like what I've seen but lets be patient. Season is still young.

That team was also a juggernaut and that 2nd line was cruising when Tambo and Hansen were playing with Kes. Oh man, I'm thinking back to that beat down in Columbus. That was the first time I've ever really seen the Canucks be relentless for an entire game. Tambo was just quick and had an insane wrist shot. I like Santorelli's lateral passes in the offensive. Very crisp.

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
"Right now,everything I do with him, he does great things for us" - Torts on Santorelli in the post presser.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
The difference between Tambellini and Santorelli is that Santo does the little things well and so far has been good along the boards.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

?????

As Torts said tonight: "I'm using him (Santorelli) more because everytime he's on the ice he makes things happen"...

Kid was a +3 tonight...

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012

I guess that's why In so many pressers this year, Torts has nothing but praise for him. One of the best in conditioning at camp and his work ethic is consistent that produces results directly or indirectly. I guess you forgot about his training camp stats. 4 games played - 4 points and +3

Raymond will do his disappearing act as usual. Just when you think he'll finally break out he becomes invisible. His speed was great when he didn't fall down. Which he seemed to improve upon last year.

Santorelli seems to have a grit and tenacity. If you can't see that...well I guess you can't see that.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
?????

As Torts said tonight: "I'm using him (Santorelli) more because everytime he's on the ice he makes things happen"...

Kid was a +3 tonight...

ignore him he has done nothing but negative about canucks......don't think he is a real fan...he has some obession with MAson Raymond

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hopefully NHL.com credits Santorelli with the goal. He deserves it. I think 10 goals this year from Santorelli is a realistic expectation, and 10 goals from a player that's on a nothing contract would be fantastic.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I obviously hadn't seen a lot of Santorelli prior to this season, but I've been impressed by his offensive instincts. He definitely looks to shoot the puck a lot, which is something this team has desperately lacked over the years.

I also think his compete level / awareness is reasonably good. If he can put up 15-20 goals this season and play a versatile two way game, you would have to think he will be viewed as one of the better UFA signings of the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad