Is Santorelli the steal of the FA pool?

Mr Reputable

Oct 8, 2013
Having very little space in the salary cap, the management decided to take in role players with reasonable salaries. It's early in the season, but I think the Santorelli acquisition is turning out a very good one. Starting from the camp through pre-season, he's been consistently noticeable. Do you think he will pan out and be that guy that the Canucks needed this season? I do.

LolClarkson*

Having very little space in the salary cap, the management decided to take in role players with reasonable salaries. It's early in the season, but I think the Santorelli acquisition is turning out a very good one. Starting from the camp through pre-season, he's been consistently noticeable. Do you think he will pan out and be that guy that the Canucks needed this season? I do.

I don't want to jinx him. And my pool has 10 teams. Unlikely he makes a roster on a ten team league

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
He has had a strong pre-season and a nice showing so far in 3 games. Good compete level, fitness and he has hands to be able to finish plays.

Great pickup at the price, quite Higgins/Hansen like in many respects. Good 3rd liner who has versatility.

That said it is only 3 games in, its too soon to be certain. I would say he is A steal but not THE steal of free agency.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
He has had a strong pre-season and a nice showing so far in 3 games. Good compete level, fitness and he has hands to be able to finish plays.

Great pickup at the price, quite Higgins/Hansen like in many respects. Good 3rd liner who has versatility.

That said it is only 3 games in, its too soon to be certain. I would say he is A steal but not THE steal of free agency.

I see you're an Ebbett fan? :naughty:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I don't know if I would call a career NHL fringe player a steal, it's been 1 good game, I wouldn't count on it.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
I really like how strong he is along the boards. You wouldn't think he would be at his size, especially since he has been out of the league recently. We'll see how he does as the season progresses. Usually the guys that are firing at the start of the season aren't so much by the end.

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
It's 3 games in, waaayyy too early to call. Should we just claim MAF as the Vezina winner? Leafs as Presidents Trophy?

Ask this question at the quarter point of the season for it to have any validity.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I don't know if I would call a career NHL fringe player a steal, it's been 1 good game, I wouldn't count on it.

I think he can be counted on to be a good 4th liner and has the skill to move up the lineup to temporarily fill in the 3rd line.

he clearly wants to play here and will give everything he has.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
we need more BC boys. that is all.

We need more Panthers, actually.

Daniel - Henrik - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Goc - Hansen
Richardson - Reasoner - Santorelli

Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Garrison
Tanev/Corrado

Luongo
Lack

GingersRULE

Jun 11, 2011
its 3 game in to the season guys waaaay to early..but so far I've been impressed but lets wait untill he has two or three bad games and this board will be up in the air of how hes a waisted asset

King of the ES*

There's nothing spectacular about Santorelli at all. Guys like him are a dime-a-dozen in today's NHL.

Somebody mentioned Mason Raymond earlier in the thread. I'm not sure if that was in jest, but I think it's correct, if you're talking about the biggest off-season steal. I'd rather have Raymond at $1M than Santorelli at $550K, personally. Raymond brings that scarce element of elite speed, which has value. Santorelli is presently benefiting from the recency effect of a two-goal performance against Calgary.

arsmaster*

There's nothing spectacular about Santorelli at all. Guys like him are a dime-a-dozen in today's NHL.

Somebody mentioned Mason Raymond earlier in the thread. I'm not sure if that was in jest, but I think it's correct, if you're talking about the biggest off-season steal. I'd rather have Raymond at $1M than Santorelli at $550K, personally. Raymond brings that scarce element of elite speed, which has value. Santorelli is presently benefiting from the recency effect of a two-goal performance against Calgary.

And what is mason mcfalldown benefitting from.

Your double standards are outrageous.

Mason Raymond like usual starts well (recall his return from back injury) and fell off the map.

It's like you didn't watch Raymond absolutely suck here for the last 2 seasons.

Raymond is also playing top line and pp, Santorelli isn't.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Raymond is a weakling that can't play along the wall, which is critical in the playoffs. Jury is still out on Santorelli but so far he looks like an upgrade in that department.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Brunner will end up being the steal, in the end. A steal we could've/should've had.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
these are the kinds of questions that should only be posed after games against tough matchups like san jose, not after good performances against lottery fodder like edmonton and calgary

i guess the only distinguishing factor is that the bottom forwards of years past couldn't even score against said lottery fodder, so good offensive performances against those weak teams is a definite step in the right direction

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Jeff Tambellini had a lightning fast start in 2010/2011 only to end up with 9 goals and 17 points in 62 games. At this contract, that contribution was still a steal. Likewise, Santorelli - a guy we likely thought of as a 13th forward/AHL player when we acquired him - is off to a strong start with a few goals while earning minimum wage.

I think his production - even if he does little else all year - already pretty well justifies his contract. That said, it's a long season and I would hold off declaring him "the steal" at this stage.

LolClarkson*

Brunner will end up being the steal, in the end. A steal we could've/should've had.

All of the skill players are turning out to be steals. Grabo and Brunner for example.

The hype machine got it wrong like usual. Clarkson and Clowe...:laugh:

I'd rather have Mayson Raymond then Clowe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad