• Demoted to L3/L4

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Demoted to Press Box

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
why would we play guys nursing injury at this junction, does not make any sense
Well if it’s not LTIR situation, then we have a cap problem…or Kap problem lol…we have no money to bring up anyone to replace Rust to give him some rest and maybe the coach thinks even with Rust’s current suckitude, he still sucks less than having to play Kap lol

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well if it’s not LTIR situation, then we have a cap problem…or Kap problem lol…we have no money to bring up anyone to replace Rust to give him some rest and maybe the coach thinks even with Rust’s current suckitude, he still sucks less than having to play Kap lol
...so lets play him 20 minutes at night until his wheels fall off, lets play him on PP to haunt and retrieve the pucks although he is afraid to get contact because he is hurt

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
...so lets play him 20 minutes at night until his wheels fall off, lets play him on PP to haunt and retrieve the pucks although he is afraid to get contact because he is hurt
Well anyone with eyes can see he shouldn’t play 20 min a night and how awful and perimeter he’s playing in every facet of the game and yet…he’s still getting 20 min a night…what does it matter the source of the crappy play lol

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
This is a guy scared of playing hockey. Just coast through his shifts fakin' it. Bet he's last on, first off the ice in every practice too. You want this guy in the playoffs?

Any other coach would have him eating nachos by now, and any other GM would seek to rid of him completely.

Nothing frustrate me more about the Pens than seeing coaches' pet Rust go out there on one skate for 20 mins a night on the top lines doing absolutely nothing. If he gets a point it's because Crosby bounced a puck off his stationary body.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This is a guy scared of playing hockey. Just coast through his shifts fakin' it. Bet he's last on, first off the ice in every practice too. You want this guy in the playoffs?

Any other coach would have him eating nachos by now, and any other GM would seek to rid of him completely.

Nothing frustrate me more about the Pens than seeing coaches' pet Rust go out there on one skate for 20 mins a night on the top lines doing absolutely nothing. If he gets a point it's because Crosby bounced a puck off his stationary body.

He was solid last playoffs, but yeah if we get this version of him then RIP.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Rust has been trending to be more and more of a floater for a couple years. The empty calorie production has dried up, and now he's like a 45pt guy who brings absolutely nothing away from the puck--shit, he makes whatever line he's on dramatically worse.

But you can only blame a player so much before you have to also blame the coach that keeps f***ing up his usage. It's like when Sully torpedoed the team by using the shit out of an absolutely wretched JJ-Schultz pairing.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Rust is a major black hole this coach refuses to acknowledge. In fact, Rust's play is getting REWARDED by being on L1 and PP2.

But coaching isn't the issue to some people on here...

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rust doesn't need to be benched. He needs to be demoted to the bottom 6 until he starts playing to a standard that justifies a place in the top 6 for a good stretch.

What we're seeing is what a guaranteed spot and a lack of accountability does to a player. Rust is a proud guy - I don't doubt he'd have a bounceback year if Sullivan had the resolve to show him the error of his ways.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Rust doesn't need to be benched. He needs to be demoted to the bottom 6 until he starts playing to a standard that justifies a place in the top 6 for a good stretch.

What we're seeing is what a guaranteed spot and a lack of accountability does to a player. Rust is a proud guy - I don't doubt he'd have a bounceback year if Sullivan had the resolve to show him the error of his ways.
I don't doubt that we'll see a better Rust in the future. It's just a shame we got the worst Rust the year we got a healthy Crosby/Malkin.

He just needs to play to his strengths. Skate hard, straight line, and drive the net. Not much more to his game than that!

I think he would do well on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He is A problem but maybe not THEE problem.

He did this when he signed his $3.5mil deal - he was absolutely unconsolidated trash the next year. He bounced back, though. At his age and current deal though, I think there's less incentive for him to push anymore.

The problem with the likes of Rust, Zucker, and Rakell is that the moment you let them walk in free agency, your immediate need becomes exactly who they are.

If I'm Hextall or any other new GM, this off-season, I make an ominous phone call to Rust direct and ask him "are you willing to waive your NMC for any team, and if so, who?" Whether you intend to trade him or not is irrelevant. That will send a mental wake-up call that Rust desperately needs right now. I'd also be getting with Sullivan telling him to send him to the 3rd or 4th line occasionally.

The biggest issue right now is that there are no consequences for his lack of production, poor play, and drama. There is zero fight or intensity in the man and he gets top line minutes.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
A tale of two Rusts.

Oh shit I high sticked that guy.
1680102948276.png

What do you mean that's a penalty?

1680103044692.png

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
This is who has always been. I would be happy if we traded him this off season. I would have moved on and not re upped him. They need to get out of the country club ASAP. Dumo has to be elsewhere they need youth who are hungry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Yep. Rust is still a good player, he's contributing on the PK and despite having basically his worst shooting percentage since his rookie years he's got 14 goals.

Just no accountability allows him to float.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
How hard is it to try Rust on L3? It seems really, really difficult for this coaching staff to want to give that a try. We don't need to trade or scratch him, just play him where he belongs.
its not like this has not been done in the past... Coach would drop him to third and all of a sudden he started skating hard and somehow pucks start getting in...I started this way back with the claim that we are one move from making the playoffs and thats moving Rust to bottom six. I don't care how he then make the top six, whatever ...just Rust must be on 3rd or 4th. That showing by L1 last night was pattetci. Copp is not bad player but to completely dominate you screams of total mental unpreparedness...we must have Sid's line positive IN ORDER TO SUCCED but with two floaters on Sid's flanks ain't gonna happen. Just f***ing listen to the fans for once...

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
its not like this has not been done in the past... Coach would drop him to third and all of a sudden he started skating hard and somehow pucks start getting in...I started this way back with the claim that we are one move from making the playoffs and thats moving Rust to bottom six. I don't care how he then make the top six, whatever ...just Rust must be on 3rd or 4th. That showing by L1 last night was pattetci. Copp is not bad player but to completely dominate you screams of total mental unpreparedness...we must have Sid's line positive IN ORDER TO SUCCED but with two floaters on Sid's flanks ain't gonna happen. Just f***ing listen to the fans for once...
Yea what i meant was keeping Rust on L3 for longer than 3 shifts for one period one time.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How hard is it to try Rust on L3? It seems really, really difficult for this coaching staff to want to give that a try. We don't need to trade or scratch him, just play him where he belongs.

It's not difficult, it's just the fact this coach plays favorites. It's moronic at this point and honestly it's no coincidence that L1 has gone ice cold since Sullivan put Rust back up there.

Jake/Sid/Rakell
Zucker/Geno/Granlund

That should be tried as the top six going forward. The fact that Rust absolutely, positively always has to play on one of those two lines is beyond stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad