• Demoted to L3/L4

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Demoted to Press Box

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Yes.

Guentzel gets hurt, 3rd period October 20th. Heinen moves up to take his spot, 2 goals in Columbus, 0 points in Edmonton. Sullivan panics and moves Rust up to line 1 while moving Rakell to LW, Heinen moved to LW on 2nd line and Carter moved to RW for Calgary game. Guentzel comes back and Rakell stays with Malkin, Rust stays with Crosby

Before this move:
Crosby - 4g 7a 11p +4
Rust - 3g 3a 6p +1
Malkin - 3g 3a 6p +2
Zucker - 1g 5a 6p +3
Guentzel - 3g 2a 5p +4
Rakell - 3g 1a 4p +8

After Sullivan panic moves the lines around:
Malkin - 4g 7a 11p +1
Guentzel - 5g 3a 8p -9
Zucker - 3g 5a 8p +4
Rakell - 4g 2a 6p +1
Crosby - 3g 3a 6p -9
Rust - 1g 1a 2p -10

There have been so many plays during the second segment where Rust has looked like he has no interest in even playing hockey. He's not taking the body, he is avoiding going into corners, he is missing assignments all over the ice. 9 times out of 10 when he gets the puck on the PP it results in a turn over. He is flinching from other teams players.

Dude got paid and now is just coasting. When is he going to get the Kapanen treatment? He needs to be taken off the top PP and Rakell needs to take his spot. Probably a couple of games in the press box will do him some good.

Maybe old JR would be willing to do a Rust for Horvat one for one.

Edit: Gonna resurrect this thread for any of the people that voted no that may now wish to change their vote.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
His play stinks this year.
379b4b98-0628-415d-b105-18fe9773f2ce_text.gif

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It's not a coincidence that Rust started playing poorly once he got moved to the 1st line. Want to know the 1 thing that's been consistent from game 1? Crosby. You could replace Crosby with Rust in your post and it would mean the same thing

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think benching has any effect on players.

I think dropping him to L3 and off the powerplay is the correct move.
This. Move him off the first line, move him off the top PP unit.

The thing that gets me is how lazy he is when he's on line 1. Put him on a line where he's got to get back to actually working hard and maybe he won't be such a liability.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sid
This. Move him off the first line, move him off the top PP unit.

The thing that gets me is how lazy he is when he's on line 1. Put him on a line where he's got to get back to actually working hard and maybe he won't be such a liability.

It’s weird because he looked great on L2.

I honestly am flabbergasted by the reluctance to go back to what was winning us games.

Reactions: pistolpete11

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Rust is playing way too many minutes. Give him 14-15min a game and I'm sure he'll get better

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It’s weird because he looked great on L2.

I honestly am flabbergasted by the reluctance to go back to what was winning us games.

This is what makes watching these games so frustrating. Sullivan's unwillingness to go back to lines that were working really, really well.

Like, I'm actually just confused as f*** more than anything. Why is Sullivan so obsessed with Rust on L1 despite the fact the results aren't pretty?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This is what makes watching these games so frustrating. Sullivan's unwillingness to go back to lines that were working really, really well.

Like, I'm actually just confused as f*** more than anything. Why is Sullivan so obsessed with Rust on L1 despite the fact the results aren't pretty?

I’d get it if they were like shutting down other teams but rough offensively, but they are like the laziest line on the ice every night.

L3 stinks, but they are working hard at least.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’d get it if they were like shutting down other teams but rough offensively, but they are like the laziest line on the ice every night.

L3 stinks, but they are working hard at least.
Or even if they're giving up a lot of goals, but they're also scoring a truckload every night to offset that. Instead, that line is not only NOT scoring any goals but surrendering goals at an absurd rate.

I just don't know how bad that line has to play before Sullivan finally pulls the plug. Did Crosby scoring tonight (even though the goal had literally nothing to do with linemates) save that line from being broken up in Sullivan's eyes?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Or even if they're giving up a lot of goals, but they're also scoring a truckload every night to offset that. Instead, that line is not only NOT scoring any goals but surrendering goals at an absurd rate.

I just don't know how bad that line has to play before Sullivan finally pulls the plug. Did Crosby scoring tonight (even though the goal had literally nothing to do with linemates) save that line from being broken up in Sullivan's eyes?

Yeah it’s absolutely infuriating and perplexing.

It’s kind of like the Powerplay being awful and no changes.

I really think Sullivan just thinks when healthy these are the best combinations and they will get it done, but it’s obvious they won’t. It’s going to be funny when we finally get depth scoring in Sid and Malkin’s older age on both lines but our coach is too stupid to adjust it to work.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Decent to good goaltending would be nice to have to solve the "problem".

Some overpaid 6-year bum on the top line sucks, but not getting a clutch save and hoping CDS can prove himself as some kind of starter, is the bottom of the copium barrell.

Trading back for Murray would give a better boost than what they have with their goaltending garbage situation now.

Reactions: Andy99

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Decent to good goaltending would be nice to have to solve the "problem".

Some overpaid 6-year bum on the top line sucks, but not getting a clutch save and hoping CDS can prove himself as some kind of starter, is the bottom of the copium barrell.

Trading back for Murray would give a better boost than what they have with their goaltending garbage situation now.
While the goalies are not the main issue, it would be nice if one of them stole a game or two. Jarry has been awful. DeSmith was solid on the last road trip but he's been inconsistent.

When's the last time the team played like crap but a Penguins goalie stood on his head and pulled out the win?

Reactions: Andy99 and Bowski

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
The most shocking part is that L1 plays 4 min more EVERY game not matter how garbage they look....

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
No other team in the league has such insane difference in the +/- cathegory.
How can Rutta and Rakell be +9 and Letang and Rust be -10 and -9.

And this is in 15-16 games!!!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah it’s absolutely infuriating and perplexing.

It’s kind of like the Powerplay being awful and no changes.

I really think Sullivan just thinks when healthy these are the best combinations and they will get it done, but it’s obvious they won’t. It’s going to be funny when we finally get depth scoring in Sid and Malkin’s older age on both lines but our coach is too stupid to adjust it to work.
Coaching is the hardest job, like cleaning the bedroom, so that's why Sullivan doesn't like to do it.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Because being stubborn is more valuable to some people than being right?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
When the TOI management is this bad I’m not sure who else you can blame but the coach. Rust needs to play better for sure, but he’s not choosing to go out there on his own.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Benching is what you go to when demotion to the bottom 6 hasn't sparked a guy. Demotion to the bottom 6 is what you go to when shuffling the top 6 doesn't spark a guy.

Rust might need to be benched down the line, but the guy running the bench should try a few things before it gets to that point.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
No, but off L1, off PP1, and not getting close to 20min every night.

And if Crosby doesn't start getting his head out of his ass after that, then you've got to start finding ways to push his buttons, too. Cutting his ice time, not starting him at the beginning of every period, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad