Tribute Is Reavo the Worst Leaf Ever?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If the likes of Brodie, Tavares, Samsonov, and Knies are carrying this team the Leafs are in serious trouble.
Each of those guys have been decidedly better than the dogs breakfast tre signed. Tavares has 12pts in 10 games with about 18mins of ice time while playing C. That’s a good player who’s helping drag his team, regardless what you think of the contract

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Seriously, Higgins will be hard to top. Drafted in round 10 by the Leafs, 200th overall. Career stats are 26 games played, 0 goals, 0 assists, 2 shots on goal and 152 penalty minutes. He even played in 1 playoff game with zeroes across the board. Hard to believe no other team gave him a shot after the Leafs were done with him.

A respectable -4 though. ;)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm going to omit fringe guys, call ups, post deadline filler, and stick to what Reaves was intended to be- a day 1 fixture in our starting 12.

Orr/McLaren- likely comparable in a vacuum, but accounting for era, league skill level, Reaves is worse easy
Brown- rocks for hands, but at least could get in on the forecheck.

Maybe Rosehill?

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Seriously, Higgins will be hard to top. Drafted in round 10 by the Leafs, 200th overall. Career stats are 26 games played, 0 goals, 0 assists, 2 shots on goal and 152 penalty minutes. He even played in 1 playoff game with zeroes across the board. Hard to believe no other team gave him a shot after the Leafs were done with him.

152 pims in 26 games is an all-time pace. Also -4 on those dogwater teams over 26 games isn’t bad, like mentioned here before Brett Lebda was dash 3 in a 9-3 win.
Solid pick and a medal contender for sure, maybe even the favourite now

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If it is, then Treliving seems determined to catch up to him.

Seriously though, I think Dubas was a lot better than people give him credit for, I'll just leave it at that.
As a GM dealing with a hard assed agents, there is no tougher job then saying "yeah sure that's fine is there anything else I can give you, I mean its not like its my money or we need a supporting cast?"

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I'm going to omit fringe guys, call ups, post deadline filler, and stick to what Reaves was intended to be- a day 1 fixture in our starting 12.

Orr/McLaren- likely comparable in a vacuum, but accounting for era, league skill level, Reaves is worse easy

Maybe Rosehill?
This is what I was getting at, guys in the 70’s or 80’s who had a 2 month cup of coffee arent what I’m talking about, although that I’m itself can be an interesting thread topic. I’m talking about day one of the season guys who were expected to be a part of the teams identity throughout the year.
As you mentioned those other face punchers were man to man as bad as reaves is today, but the game was different then and they had a role they fulfilled. Reaves is just out there for short burst cardio sessions

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
152 pims in 26 games is an all-time pace. Also -4 on those dogwater teams over 26 games isn’t bad, like mentioned here before Brett Lebda was dash 3 in a 9-3 win.
Solid pick and a medal contender for sure, maybe even the favourite now
That's true, but the rest of it just so bad. And I vaguely remember what is was like watching him play, he was really bad.

As a GM dealing with a hard assed agents, there is no tougher job then saying "yeah sure that's fine is there anything else I can give you, I mean its not like its my money or we need a supporting cast?"
I've always said the Marner contract was his most obvious mistake. But a 2 million dollar overpayment isn't the end of the world either.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

Higgins,Kurt Walker and Val James were all Ballard era embarrassments. Could be mistaken but all 3 were similar in that they were enforcers who came from a disadvantaged back ground and had a benefactor in the organization Higgins was Gerry Mcnamara, James was John Brophy and I’m not sure about Kurt Walker he could have had a different path

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Maybe Rosehill?

Orr could at least skate and block shots on the PK in a pinch. If he wanted to hit a guy it didn’t put him 30 seconds behind the play like Reaves.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
That's true, but the rest of it just so bad. And I vaguely remember what is was like watching him play, he was really bad.

I've always said the Marner contract was his most obvious mistake. But a 2 million dollar overpayment isn't the end of the world either.
Marner was the only deal he truly “lost”. Did he hit any out the park? No, Unfortunately. I’ll still die on the hill the Matthews deal was more than adequate. Look at his comps. Only mcdavid and eichel to that point had gone the 8 year route and traditionally top pick 1c’s would get 5-6 year second deals. Willy was and is great value. JT is what it is but other teams including his incumbent offered more raw dollars and or term, and that’s the game of getting top FAs.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I remember him, we used to sing Jimmy crack Korn and I don't care when he played. Seriously though, he was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Higgins.
Yeah sure but Higgins wasn't really an NHLer, and so didn't effect the team one way or another in his handful of games. Jim Korn was a full time player over 4 or 5 years(?).

5'11" Bobby Nystrom filled him in one night, after the 6'3" Korn challenged him. As a Leafs fan I cheered Nystrom going to the box and I wasn't alone in doing so in MLG.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like Don Beaupre was the worst thing I’ve ever seen in a Leaf uniform in the mid 90s as a completely washed veteran standup goalie.

Reactions: LeafSadist

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Yeah sure but Higgins wasn't really an NHLer, and so didn't effect the team one way or another in his handful of games. Jim Korn was a full time player over 4 or 5 years(?).

5'11" Bobby Nystrom filled him in one night, after the 6'3" Korn challenged him. As a Leafs fan I cheered Nystrom going to the box and I wasn't alone in doing so in MLG.
I think I remember one of the Sutter twins beat the hell out of him when they were really young and he was a LOT bigger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad