Is Ray Shero the best trader in the league?

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Love this trade for both teams. When getzlaf and Kessler are back, Henrique is going to fit in perfectly.

Also, as a devils fan, Vatanen is just what the doctor ordered.

Great trade for both teams.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He has always been a fantastic trader and his trades usually end up looking even better in the long run than at first. Goligoski for Neal and Niskanen and Whitney for Kunitz and Tangradi are 2 examples of this.

That one was great. I remember he signed Paul Martin and Z. Michalek in free agency that summer, which gave the Pens the flexibility to trade Goligoski for help up front (and ended up getting Niskanen, who turned out better than expected).

Just seems like a smart way of building assets in the organization - sign UFAs of value, even if it's an area of depth, and then trade from that depth to fix another problem you weren't able to fix in free agency.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That one was great. I remember he signed Paul Martin and Z. Michalek in free agency that summer, which gave the Pens the flexibility to trade Goligoski for help up front (and ended up getting Niskanen, who turned out better than expected).

Just seems like a smart way of building assets in the organization - sign UFAs of value, even if it's an area of depth, and then trade from that depth to fix another problem you weren't able to fix in free agency.

Yeah, I don't think anyone can reasonably question his trading ability. He consistently gets good value in player for player trades. The issue is that those trades require a perfect storm to come together, and sometimes that doesn't happen for years. In his time in Pittsburgh, he only had 2 of those trades in the Neal and Kunitz deals. Outside of those deals, most of his other trades were just rental trades. His trading ability makes him really good for a rebuilding team but really bad for a stable team, like what the Penguins were. He's just an alright GM outside of his trading ability, and when you either don't have the assets to make those trades or have over-attachment issues with the players you have on your roster, he's not appropriate for the role.

He has gotten a lot more chances to do that in New Jersey than he did in Pittsburgh though, he has already made as many big trades in New Jersey as he did in his entire Pittsburgh career. Outside of rentals, Shero's big trades were the Staal trade, the Neal trade and the Kunitz trade. So far in New Jersey, he already has the Vatanen, Hall and Palmieri trades.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Had Shero and Castron been at the helm for the 2015 draft and not Lamoriello and Conte. I wonder who they would have picked? With their emphasis on skill and speed. It would truly have been an intriguing pick. And I am 99.99% sure a great pick. Just night and day to the philosophy of Conte and Lou.

I’d bet Werenski

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I still feel Jarmo is the best Trading and Drafting GM in the league right now. Just look at how far the Jackets have come since he started here. He made great trades for Jones, Hartnell, Saad, and Panarin. Drafted Studs in later rounds basically every draft. He was part of the stl teams that drafted so well like Tarasenko.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
For a rebuilding club they've given up a lot of picks.

That’s the silliest criticism ever. He’s dealt 2nd and 3rd round picks to pick up a top line winger in Palmieri and a 2nd lone winger in Johansson.
Even the Mueller trade was looking intriguing before his injury (as he was steadily improving and looking like a very steady future top 4 dman).

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
I honestly think Shero would be ranked up with lamierello with most underrated and maybe best gms of all time is trading and drafting is exceptional always finding late round picks when he was with New Jersey and Pittsburgh are Bratt guentzel rust sheary letang and more the only reason he was fired was not letting go of bylsma Pittsburgh should have kept him because his work won’t New Jersey is exceptional what a gm. Anyone agree?

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Just to recap, since Shero has become GM in NJ:

3 2nds, 2 3rds, a 4th, Blandisi, Henrique, and Larsson have been traded for Hall, Palmieri, Johansson, Vatanen, and Mueller.

That is one NHL forward, one NHL defenseman, and picks not including any firsts for a full young top 6 NHL line and a top 4 NHL defenseman.

This is the stuff of NHL 18 GM magic..

I would have to say no after some of his Pens trades back in the day. I have liked the JR trades much better since he took over. He took a team that was thought to be past its prime contending years with an old and slow team around its core and turned them into a fast a younger team that won two Cups in a row in just a one year transition time which is crazy. Hornqvist, Kessel, Hagelin, Daley, Brassard, Sheahan, Schultz, Cole, Oleksiak, are just some of his players brought in and players going out are not near as impressive. Hard to argue against a GM that turned a team around that most people at the time of his take over didn't even consider the Pens real contenders anymore and to turn them around that fast to winning two Cups in a row and this season losing in OT to the eventual Cup winner is a pretty hard GM magic to beat. Shero has done a nice job for the Devils and I am not surprised because he was not a bad GM for us but he liked to trade for out of primed rentals back when he was our GM. Rutherford added players to our team that are cores age or younger which was much better asset management. Like I said you can't argue winning two Cups after taking over just one year before. It took one year more of changing the team dynamics and finding the right coach.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I honestly think Shero would be ranked up with lamierello with most underrated and maybe best gms of all time is trading and drafting is exceptional always finding late round picks when he was with New Jersey and Pittsburgh are Bratt guentzel rust sheary letang and more the only reason he was fired was not letting go of bylsma Pittsburgh should have kept him because his work won’t New Jersey is exceptional what a gm. Anyone agree?

I can't agree with that at all because JR was the best thing to happen to the Pens. Shero did a good job but JR was way better for us. Most of Shero's trades for us came as high priced rentals and some worked out and some did not but the fact is he gave up many picks for rentals that in many cases did not work out. JR took over a team that was old and slow around the core players and made them Cup champs two years in a row with only needing one year before those two Cup teams. Making trades that made the team faster and with players in the cores age or younger with term. He actually added to the core with Kessel. Hard to put Shero over JR when JR took Shero's mess and made them 2 time Cup Champs! JR finds ways to get deals done, that Brassard deal getting Vegas to pay $2 million cap hit for 2 years was a masterpiece.

Every GM makes mistakes but JR does not dwell on his like Shero does. Once JR does not see what he wants he is not afraid to make changes and usually gets what he needs. Shero stuck with the same playbook and did not make adjustments when needed and we kept players like Adams and Glass around. Shero signed aging vets like Kunitz and Dupuis to high priced long term contracts instead of moving on with youth. brought back high priced slow footed Scuderi for big money. Shero was making the team older and slower when the league was getting younger and faster. I am not saying he is a bad GM but under his time with the Pens he had a great young team that the core was drafted by Craig Patrick (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury). This core was not even in it's prime yet when it went to the Cup twice and won the second time. When these players all were in their prime years they did not win any Cups with Shero at the helm. That team went backwards for the next five seasons and when Shero was fired everyone was thinking this core did not meet the expectations and was done from contending. When JR took over the team needed a full overhaul and not many players stayed from that team he inherited. JR transformed half the team after just one year to rebuild them completely from old slow to young and fast. JR was saddled with several high priced contracts of players past prime and greatly declining in ability and speed. Dead wood like Adams, Glass, Scuderi I think it would be hard to find a better GM job than what JR has done since his time with the Pens. Shero was given a great hand when he took over and his trading for old vets and rentals worked for a few years at the beginning but that method destroyed the team and let the great core underperform for years. JR is a much better GM and he has 3 Cups to prove it. His time with the Pens though is something special and I don't think any other GM could of trasformed this team faster and been more effective.

Shero has done a nice job so far with the Devils and I like many of his deals but compared what JR has done in the same period of time it is not even close.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
We are quick to judge players, GM's, coaches and so on give people a chance to maybe learn from their past mistakes.

The good one learns and develop with past mistakes in hand

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Just to recap, since Shero has become GM in NJ:

3 2nds, 2 3rds, a 4th, Blandisi, Henrique, and Larsson have been traded for Hall, Palmieri, Johansson, Vatanen, and Mueller.

That is one NHL forward, one NHL defenseman, and picks not including any firsts for a full young top 6 NHL line and a top 4 NHL defenseman.

This is the stuff of NHL 18 GM magic..

While you're right his trading history is very Good, you're definitely wording your OP to suit your narrative. Going from NJ was just a "NHL forward and NHL D" while what they received are "top 6 forward and top 4D"

If you want to be honest it was an NHL top 6 forward and an NHL top pairing D

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
Does anybody agree that Shero could be one of the best teams gm of all time and most underrated especially with his track record of signings drafting and trades love to hear your thoughts.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Not firing Bylsma after the playoffs series with the flyers was a fatal No GM keeps that coach after that fiasco. Yes he did give high picks for guys on their last legs but Bylsma didn't help with his monumental gafs. Shero is capable but Pens should have performed better even with Sid's concussion. He picked D Pouliot over Forsberg at 8. Terrible pick in that the Pens were in big need of a big time winger. Passed on Saad as well even the scouts were adamant on picking him and Shero blew that one. He was vastly over rated to me.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He's overrated

He made the hall for Larson trade with a moronic gm

He traded with a cash strapped team to get Johansson

He traded for mueller who hasn't been anything special

He got palmieri when he was only a decent player

He left a hole in the middle ice position by trading away henrique, even though he got a good player in return.

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
Not firing Bylsma after the playoffs series with the flyers was a fatal No GM keeps that coach after that fiasco. Yes he did give high picks for guys on their last legs but Bylsma didn't help with his monumental gafs. Shero is capable but Pens should have performed better even with Sid's concussion. He picked D Pouliot over Forsberg at 8. Terrible pick in that the Pens were in big need of a big time winger. Passed on Saad as well even the scouts were adamant on picking him and Shero blew that one. He was vastly over rated to me.
Does anyone agree that Shero could be one if the best gms of all time interms of drafting sighning and trading love to hear your guys thoughts ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad