Is Ray Shero the best trader in the league?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Shero was always underrated. I never understood the complaints against Shero with the Penguins but I guess thats because I'm a Wings fan and we accept 2 decades worth of a GM who won't even bother to put himself in a position where he might lose a headline-worthy trade as opposed to Pens fans who wouldn't accept Shero having a couple off years.
After the 2014 loss to NYR (after leading 3 games to 1) it marked five consecutive years losing to a lower seed in the playoffs. It was obvious Bylsma couldn't make the proper adjustments and they were wasting Crosby and Malkins primes.

Bylsma should have been fired after the implosion in 2012 against Philly and at the very least after getting swept by Boston in 2013. Since Shero refused to remove Bylsma they both got removed.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Shero has a solid plan. He collected as many pieces as he could in middle round draft picks.

Then he waited for when another team really needed something. Like cap relief or a specific position and he took advantage of it.

There hasn’t been a situation in NJ where he seems have been forced to make a deal, which is why he is doing so well on them.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Would be interesting to see him and Yzerman make a trade, even Cheveldayoff who's pulled some really good ones.

Chevy turned Evander Kane, Bogosian into Roslovic, Myers, Stafford (now gone), Lemieux and Armia. Kane looks like he's on his way out and Bogosian is getting injured lots.
Ladd into Logan Stanley and Marko Dano.
Hasn't done lots or any moves to shoot the team in the foot, but the only bad trade Chevy did do was Setoguchi for a 2nd.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Would be interesting to see him and Yzerman make a trade, even Cheveldayoff who's pulled some really good ones.

Chevy turned Evander Kane, Bogosian into Roslovic, Myers, Stafford (now gone), Lemieux and Armia. Kane looks like he's on his way out and Bogosian is getting injured lots.
Ladd into Logan Stanley and Marko Dano.
Hasn't done lots or any moves to shoot the team in the foot, but the only bad trade Chevy did do was Setoguchi for a 2nd.

Shero won’t deal with Yzerman because you can’t outfox a fox.

Murray didn’t do bad on his trade today though. It was the Palmieri trade where Shero stole the cookie jar.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Loyalty seems to be the downfall for almost every good GM. Loyalty to players that lead to bad contracts, or in Ray’s case loyalty to his coach in Disco Dan.

I get it though. Hard to be 100% with the “this is a business” side of things when you get to know your players and staff.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Let's wait and see how Vatanen will pan out first. Henrique was a big part of our team even when struggling.
Fine

Forgetting this trade, he still traded a #3-4 defenseman for Taylor Hall (complete joke of a trade on Chiarelli) got Kyle Palmieri for a 2nd round pick, got Marcus Johansson for just a 2nd round pick from a division rival. You can forget about this trade and still say he's won most of them by leaps and bounds.

The Mueller trade might have been overpayment, but I feel this was going rate for defensemen last summer. The Quincey for Prout trade was supposedly an under the table deal for the Blue Jackets giving us a cap dump, in exchange for not asking for a compensation pick for plucking him out of Columbus. The point of that trade was never to get value.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is a trade that's good for both teams, by the way. It isn't lopsided like some of his other deals or a nonsensical, only in video games trade, like acquiring Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Shero's problem in Pittsburgh was
1. his loyalty to Dan Bylsma...a true mediocre coach who would rather give ice time to grinders than young players with potential
2. His obsession with drafting undersized puck moving d-men in the top rounds...most of which busted or at least did not meet expectations. His theory was that D is always a hot commodity, and he was right, but he'd go and sign an over the hill Mark Eaton or Rob Scuderi instead of giving a young guy a chance thus stunting their growth and any trade value they might have. As we have seen, he did find some gems in the mid-rounds. So far, he's looking like a better drafter than JR (who seems to be obsessed with picking rugged, physical d-men for some unknown reason), but time will tell with that.

He always got great value in trades, and would potentially still be in Pittsburgh if he did not bizarrely fall on his sword for Disco Dan.

You can't put drafting all on GM, it's the scouts who do the majority of the job and influence who to pick. And I think in Pittsburgh he was under more pressure from owner(s) to do stuff to win.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Shero had none of his staff in place and was there about a month. He had no input on the selection. It was absolutely a Lou/Conte pick.

Had Shero and Castron been at the helm for the 2015 draft and not Lamoriello and Conte. I wonder who they would have picked? With their emphasis on skill and speed. It would truly have been an intriguing pick. And I am 99.99% sure a great pick. Just night and day to the philosophy of Conte and Lou.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Had Shero and Castron been at the helm for the 2015 draft and not Lamoriello and Conte. I wonder who they would have picked? With their emphasis on skill and speed. It would truly have been an intriguing pick. And I am 99.99% sure a great pick. Just night and day to the philosophy of Conte and Lou.
I guess the sexy choice would be Barzal. Imagine how good we'd look right now if that had been the case. But I have a feeling Shero would have went BPA and picked one of Werenski/Provorov which would leave us looking like a different team now (who knows if we still trade for Hall or get to pick Nico if that happens).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad