Is Ray Shero the best trader in the league?

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Just to recap, since Shero has become GM in NJ:

3 2nds, 2 3rds, a 4th, Blandisi, Henrique, and Larsson have been traded for Hall, Palmieri, Johansson, Vatanen, and Mueller.

That is one NHL forward, one NHL defenseman, and picks not including any firsts for a full young top 6 NHL line and a top 4 NHL defenseman.

This is the stuff of NHL 18 GM magic..

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He has always been a fantastic trader and his trades usually end up looking even better in the long run than at first. Goligoski for Neal and Niskanen and Whitney for Kunitz and Tangradi are 2 examples of this.

Reactions: Dialamo

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He's always been excellent when it comes to trades ( minus 2013). His drafting and inability to add to a cup contending team (Pens) were his downfall.

Didn't he draft Guentzel, Rust, Jarry, Maatta, Murray and Bennett? Considering where the Pens picked and the highly regarded prospects that didn't pan out due to injury or other, that's not terrible.

Its not like Rutherford has been great at drafting either.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
My thoughts exactly. Jersey is rolling right now and I think Henrique is pretty underrated.

I’ll hold judgment on this one.

The record is good, but I feel like they've been struggling since the 9-2 start. Losing games they should have won and blowing leads. I didn't expect differently from a pretty young team, but they weren't lighting the league on fire in November.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Shero has been gold since taking over from Lamoriello moving to NJ. If I had a vote, he would be 1-2 the top GM in the NHL today based on his recent results. And his rather quick and miraculous makeover of the Devils roster from utter mess to a shining bright example of what a NHL team should look like in 2 short years.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Didn't he draft Guentzel, Rust, Jarry, Maatta, Murray and Bennett? Considering where the Pens picked and the highly regarded prospects that didn't pan out due to injury or other, that's not terrible.

Its not like Rutherford has been great at drafting either.
A lot of his picks worked out great after he got fired. Shero's downfall was his undying love for Dan Bylsma.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Vatanen had a down year last season and he came back from a shoulder surgery this season. How healthy is he exactly?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Perhaps his head scout wasn’t the best in Pittsburgh because with Castron in NJ Shero has been drafting beautifully.

The later draft picks were fine, the first rounders were in high question. Many people in the know say scouts draft later picks, GMs have a high impact on 1st rounders. The plan made no sense because we never played those young defenders and signed guys like Martin, Michalek, and Scuderi. Then he became too attached to a coach that was dragging him down or else he'd probably still be in Pittsburgh. Those are the 2 flaws of Shero. Trading... he's probably the best in the league by far. But when it comes time that he needs to detach from someone he's fond of, see what happens. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Bylsma didn't learn his. I hope, because I really like Ray, that he did.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I love the Vatanen deal for the Devils. Henrique is a player I like also. But you have to give up some value to get back value. Vatanen is a rare commodity to acquire. A top 2 pairing puck moving D man that is only 26 in his prime.

Shero just showing again why he is a cut above the rest. Devils fans should be envied. Holy.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Vatanen had a down year last season and he came back from a shoulder surgery this season. How healthy is he exactly?
If I'm being honest, he doesn't look healthy. He's been noticeably slower since he came back. Maybe it's Carlyle's system, maybe it's something else. But he hasn't looked like the same player.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad