Is Ray Shero the best trader in the league?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's overrated

He made the hall for Larson trade with a moronic gm

He traded with a cash strapped team to get Johansson

He traded for mueller who hasn't been anything special

He got palmieri when he was only a decent player

He left a hole in the middle ice position by trading away henrique, even though he got a good player in return.

So he's overrated because he took advantage of other teams situations? I'm a NYR fan and even I can see how terrible this post is.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Isn't that a sign of a great GM to deal for a decent player that turns out to be real good?
that a sign that they got lucky. if he had traded for a palmieri that was great, then that would be a good trade

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Loomba, quite being a troll. Your arguments are completely invalid. Finding a rising talent and taking advantage of other GMs in trades is what makes him great. The opportunity is available for any other GM to exploit.

Honestly, the easiest way to bash Shero would be the Grabner deal. He got hosed. Rykov was a solid prospect and he gave away picks. The trade becomes a lot worse when factoring in that the trade partner was the Rangers.

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018
That was the previous staff's pick + that was 2015. You may be shocked to know that there have been 3 drafts since then

Shero was GM in NJ for 7 weeks (almost 2 months!) up until that 2015 draft and was in total control. So then you want to credit the "previous staff" for the Palmieri trade then and give them the credit and accolades?

5/4/15 Ray Shero hired as NJD GM

6/26/15 NHL Draft NJD select Pavel Zacha #6 overall and trade for Kyle Palmieri the very same day

7/9/15 David Conte NJD head scout let go. Ends up with Vegas in 2017

7/22/15 Lou Lamoriello leaves NJD as Team President to join Toronto as GM

If Pavel Zacha was a Calder candidate, you'd give all the credit to Shero, right?

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018
Wasn't even Shero's pick, he had been on board for like 2 months and let Conte run the draft.

And you know this how? Was Shero like this inexperienced college intern with no NHL experience, that should have no say in the construction/drafting/building of a team, after being on the job for almost 2 months, especially given the fact that just a couple of weeks after this very 2015 draft, the team chose not to renew the contract of head scout Dave Conte?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Ray has always been a very good trader - it's mainly because he has the balls to really change a roster if there are players available that he wants. He understands economics of the game well and really buys low on guys. Had Paul Martin not got hurt in Niskanen's final year in Pittsburgh, Niskanen would have been traded. That Goligoski trade had potential to be even better.

Ray hitched his wagon to a horrible NHL coach for far too long. That was his downfall.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He has always been a fantastic trader and his trades usually end up looking even better in the long run than at first. Goligoski for Neal and Niskanen and Whitney for Kunitz and Tangradi are 2 examples of this.
James Neal and Matt Niskanen for Alex Goligoski. I feel like that trade doesn’t get talked about enough. Insanely lopsided. And I thought so from the moment it was made too. It never made any sense for Dallas.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
And you know this how? Was Shero like this inexperienced college intern with no NHL experience, that should have no say in the construction/drafting/building of a team, after being on the job for almost 2 months, especially given the fact that just a couple of weeks after this very 2015 draft, the team chose not to renew the contract of head scout Dave Conte?

I specifically remember Shero stating that if he didn't take Zacha David Conte would've "fallen out of his chair".

So Conte played a big role in the pick Im sure. Shero was trying to trade down a couple spots with Columbus from what I remember.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Shero was GM in NJ for 7 weeks (almost 2 months!) up until that 2015 draft and was in total control. So then you want to credit the "previous staff" for the Palmieri trade then and give them the credit and accolades?

5/4/15 Ray Shero hired as NJD GM

6/26/15 NHL Draft NJD select Pavel Zacha #6 overall and trade for Kyle Palmieri the very same day

7/9/15 David Conte NJD head scout let go. Ends up with Vegas in 2017

7/22/15 Lou Lamoriello leaves NJD as Team President to join Toronto as GM

If Pavel Zacha was a Calder candidate, you'd give all the credit to Shero, right?

You just answered your own line of questioning

I specifically remember Shero stating that if he didn't take Zacha David Conte would've "fallen out of his chair".

So Conte played a big role in the pick Im sure. Shero was trying to trade down a couple spots with Columbus from what I remember.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ

Funny, I'd pay to see Conte and his cherry cheeks hit the floor at this point.

Guy was awful at his job.

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018

Conte was fired 2 weeks after that draft and had no future with the team obviously. So with that said, if he was given such a big role and then immediately let go in a vote of no confidence, that's total ineptness & incompetence by Ray Shero, who was already on the job as GM for almost 2 months at that point.

Again, if Pavel Zacha was a Calder candidate in the likes of Barzal, you'd be giving all the credit to Shero, right? But since he isn't and is developing much slower, your conveniently passing it off to Conte.

Last edited:

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Conte was fired 2 weeks after that draft and had no future with the team obviously. So with that said, if he was given such a big role and then immediately let go in a vote of no confidence, that's total ineptness & incompetence by Ray Shero, who was already on the job as GM for almost 2 months at that point.

Again, if Pavel Zacha was a Calder candidate in the likes of Barzal, you'd be giving all the credit to Shero, right? But since he isn't and is developing much slower, your conveniently passing it off to Conte.
I like how you conveniently gloss over the fact that Conte was a Lou guy and Lou was still there. Shero has been there for less then two months. Your saying he should have fired the head of the scouting department right before the draft when the guy spent the entire season running the scouting for the team. THAT, would be total ineptness. Shero getting rid of a Lou guy and not listening to him that much is why He left to go to the leafs.

And your last line is just total bullshit. That draft was all Conte and it shows as we have barely anything to show for it. Blake Speers is the only other promising draft pick from that year and he’s even questionable. The drafts since have been very good.

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
I think he’s very good. He seems better for having got Hischier, but even without that I think he’s done really well. They were dead in the water until he arrived. IMO

Reactions: mtnet

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018
I think he’s very good. He seems better for having got Hischier, but even without that I think he’s done really well. They were dead in the water until he arrived. IMO

Well yeah, Hischier was the consensus #1, especially since Patrick was undergoing surgery at the time of the draft and would be recovering the remainder of the summer and into training camp. Kind of a no-brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad