Is Puljujarvi a bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He has not played well no matter what opportunities he has been given, but he also should never have been in the NHL either. He has never shown he is good enough to be in the NHL yet. The Oilers have a farm team that has won 13 games in a row and could potentially win their 14th in a row tonight. That is where he should have been this season, and where he should be right now.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Yeah, if his career was over right now.

But he's 20, so this thread is completely dumb.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think he's likely to blossom in Edmonton the way things are going, but could see him thriving like Dylan Strome after a trade to another environment.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I can see this thread popping up in three more years. Hey he’s only 24. What were you doing at that age!!?? He’s not a bust in my book, there are plenty of guys who need time to get it together. But it’s not a crazy question to ask.

Reactions: enj92 and KE19

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
We can really see if he's traded and won't perform in other team either.

Compare guys like Nail Yakupov and Dylan Strome, both seemingly disappointing, get traded, Yakupov continues to founder, Strome gets a boost.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He needs to be tore up from the floor up and rebuilt from scratch. Probably should spend at least a year in the A, re-learning the game... like the Canucks did to some degrees of success with Markstrom and Virtanen.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He is in the sense of how he was being compared to Laine prior to the draft.

If anything Laine is busting harder right now, Puljujärvi has just been severely mishandled by the Oilers. He was and remains a very raw talent, but had he been treated differently he could be significantly further in his development than he is now.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
If anything Laine is busting harder right now, Puljujärvi has just been severely mishandled by the Oilers. He was and remains a very raw talent, but had he been treated differently he could be significantly further in his development than he is now.
He's having a down year. You're kidding yourself if you think a 20 year old kid with a 70 point season, 2-30 goal seasons, and a 40 goal season under his belt is much different than not even being able to put up PPG numbers in the AHL.

EDIT: I'm even a Blues fan who LOATHES Patrik Laine but I'm not dumb enough to say he's anywhere close to "bust material"

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
I think Iiro Pakarinen summed it up quite well in that interview he did:

Former Edmonton Oilers player Iiro Pakarinen complains of lack of communication from coaches

"According to the Reddit translation, which is in line with the other translations, Pakarinen says the following of the Oilers coaching staff: “They don’t say anything or talk to you about why you’re not playing. At least the Oilers never did. That’s what annoyed me the most… Coach never gives you a reason or reasons. You have to figure it out why you’re sitting in the pressbox by yourself. Also in general the coach and GM talked to us very little. It’s almost like they have some top secret information. I think it’s unfathomable… Communication should be more open, like it is in Europe. Here it goes like it should. In the NHL it feels like the coach is one great ego. Of course the coach will talk to the players about random things, but never about anything personal or things related to your own game."

Cant be easy for someone like Poopjerry to try and adjust when no-one tells him what he does wrong. Especially since he aint the sharpest pickle in the jar to begin with.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah, if his career was over right now.

But he's 20, so this thread is completely dumb.

20 is not that young anymore in today's NHL for it to be used an excuse, considering how little he has shown so far.

He is just two years away from being completely written off and not getting any NHL opportunities.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He needs to be tore up from the floor up and rebuilt from scratch. Probably should spend at least a year in the A, re-learning the game... like the Canucks did to some degrees of success with Markstrom and Virtanen.

He hasn't listened to(or doesn't understand) coaches or people trying to give him advice, so I can't see that being realistic.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yakupov, with extra steps.
Yakupov had a great rookie season so he busted later on.
Puljujarvi should not have been rushed to NHL. He is still not NHL ready but has ~140 games under his belt.
mismanaged for sure.
Giving him 9 mins a game is not doing him any good.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Nah but at the same time I don't think he will go anywhere in the Oilers. He needs to come back to Europe for 1-2 years and be the main guy for his team and absolutely learn everything from the game he didn't get to learn when he flew to NA as a very raw player who hardly knew the language.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
20 is not that young anymore in today's NHL for it to be used an excuse, considering how little he has shown so far.

He is just two years away from being completely written off and not getting any NHL opportunities.

Yes it is. There are still plenty of guys that don't show their true potential until 21/22/23/24

Reactions: shello
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad