Is Patches Done As A Notable Goal Scorer?

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Look, I like Max as a person and everything, but don't compare his dry spell to Bergeron's, Toews' or Crosby's. Max doesn't bring anything if he's not scoring. It wasn't always like this, but that's what he has been for the past few seasons.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Pacioretty is the perfect type of player for what pittsburgh does when they just swap out crosby's winger with some pure goal scorrer every year a la kunitz, neal, hornqvist, kessel, etc. Pacioretty could probably score 35 on the pens, but I think his best days are behind him.
He can't keep up.

Useless on the Pens

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm not starting rumors but looking at him makes me think something has been wrong with him mentally for years now. He's just so uninvolved and uninspired. He's extremely different from when he entered the league. Another player completely... and not for the best. I do wish him the best because I enjoyed watching him a lot early in his carreer but the past 2 or 3 years were painful :(
That hit from Chara was so bad. Really dirty.

DCHabitant

Feb 24, 2013
It’s somewhat hard not to flame people for posts like these.

Sample size of 13-15 games where he has 2 goals and maybe no assists from what I last saw. I bet there is 1 other period in his NHL career of similar production.

If he had a year, not 13 - 15 games, of really bad production, AND CONTINUES, yes, I will agree.

Other than that, complete overreactions to players are kinda out-of-hand in this place.

I see it a lot on here:

Chabot has a good week: “Next new elite Dman”
Does T10 draft pick not score 80 points: “BUST”
Prospect produces well at AHL level: “He has TONS of NHL value”

Some wild overreactions.

Sorry OP, not trying to flame you or attack you, just think these overreactions based on small sample sizes make the argument almost irrelevant.

Poor production and poor play... 100% correct, just not enough to justify dictating a claim like that.
Agree. He's always been a streaky sniper. Wouldn't be surprised if he scores 25-30 this year. And I hope he does. Liked the trade for Montreal because Habs got Suzuki in return. But Patches is a good goal scorer. Doesn't handle the puck or distribute well, but a good sniper.

DCHabitant

Feb 24, 2013
Vegas will probably survive but, for some teams, that would have been a possibly really bad move. He might turn it around, but this had warning flags all over it in the offseason. I'm glad we didn't trade assets for him. Because even if he turns it around, I don't think it would have been worth it.
What do you mean by assets? Tatar (who I believe you traded a1st, a 2nd and a 3rd for), Suzuki (who's a pretty good prospect) and another pick.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
What do you mean by assets? Tatar (who I believe you traded a1st, a 2nd and a 3rd for), Suzuki (who's a pretty good prospect) and another pick.
Well I'm a Panthers fan. And I meant that I'm glad we didn't trade for him like we were one of the teams rumored that might. And we didn't lose the assets that we would have had to give up to get him.

DCHabitant

Feb 24, 2013
Well I'm a Panthers fan. And I meant that I'm glad we didn't trade for him like we were one of the teams rumored that might. And we didn't lose the assets that we would have had to give up to get him.
Sorry. Misread the post. (It's not like your username gives any clue of where your allegiances lie.)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There was a specific play last night which I think sums up pacioretty's problem in recent times.

He got a puck at his blueline and turned his speed on. He blew by alzner on the outside and had a path to the net. Instead of driving it to the net, he takes a snap shot from the perimeter.

The 40 goal pacioretty takes that to the net and turns it into a breakaway.

He's still tentative, and he seems to have a big mental block for going to the net with speed. Old pacioretty got alot of breakaway goals through his explosive skating.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
There was a specific play last night which I think sums up pacioretty's problem in recent times.

He got a puck at his blueline and turned his speed on. He blew by alzner on the outside and had a path to the net. Instead of driving it to the net, he takes a snap shot from the perimeter.

The 40 goal pacioretty takes that to the net and turns it into a breakaway.

He's still tentative, and he seems to have a big mental block for going to the net with speed. Old pacioretty got alot of breakaway goals through his explosive skating.
I was at the game, you're right about that play. He's just become a perimeter player and banks on his shot to be successful.

He was pretty involved yesterday however, seems like he can't buy a goal. I do think he regresses as a goal scorer, which means he'll probably still get 20 anyway.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
What's really funny is this can't be disproven at the moment. He was never the same after Little Davey left . Heatbroken I guess lol

Ibut seriously, wee David was always looking for him to shoot and David could give him some nice setups. now that he doesn't have a pure setup centre, maybe that's the problem?

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I'll reiterate what I've said before. McPhee is an awful GM.

Everyone and their mother knows that Vegas vastly overachieved last season. It was an amazing story, no doubt. But why would you trade Suzuki etc for a struggling version of Patches?

McPhee shouldn't be allowed to do trades. You got the Forsberg för Erat trade which was awful even before Forsberg started producing in the NHL.

He overpaid for Tatar, then they rarely used him. Dumped him to Montreal where he's doing well, also included one of their better prospects for an aging, possibly declining goalscorer.

He doesn't think long-term, that's his problem. He's so obsessed with winning that he always ends up taking one step forward and two steps back.

I feel bad for Knights fans.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal

Everyone and their mother knows that Vegas vastly overachieved last season. It was an amazing story, no doubt. But why would you trade Suzuki etc for a struggling version of Patches?

McPhee shouldn't be allowed to do trades. You got the Forsberg för Erat trade which was awful even before Forsberg started producing in the NHL.

He overpaid for Tatar, then they rarely used him. Dumped him to Montreal where he's doing well, also included one of their better prospects for an aging, possibly declining goalscorer.

He doesn't think long-term, that's his problem. He's so obsessed with winning that he always ends up taking one step forward and two steps back.

He won GM of the year so he will be able to milk it for a decade

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Apart from getting Carpenter for free, he hasn't managed the resources very well... especially considering that the entry draft picks were all done based only on analytics opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad